How do I temporarily disable a DVD player?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John H. Power, Apr 16, 2004.

  1. Here is the problem in a nutshell. When I render a file in Adobe
    Premiere Pro and I use MPEG rather than PCM compression for the audio
    and I create a multiplexed Mpeg-2 file and then I try and play the
    rendered file back on the monitor window in Premiere the computer
    locks up. However, if I uninstall my DVD player software (I have both
    PowerDVD and WinDVD) I do not have this problem. There are times when
    I need to be able to play the file in the Premiere monitor window but
    I do not want to have to uninstall my DVD software just so I can do
    that, There is obviously a conflict in codecs or something somewhere
    so I was wondering of there was a way I could temporarily "disable"
    the DVD software while I did what I need to do in Premiere and then
    "enable" it after I was done.

    As an aside, the Adobe support group for Premiere Pro is awash with
    issues and complaints about audio problems

    As another aside, if I render using PCM as my audio choice then the
    file will not play the audio in Quicktime and this is a big problem
    since I use Quicktime constantly. There is no problem if the audio is
    rendered with Mpeg compression. Quicktime is the only player I have
    found that will let me step both forward and backward frame by frame
    with the arrow keys, which is essential for me in analyzing Ballroom
    dance routines. I can find players that will let me step forward
    frame by frame but not backward.

    Thanks

    John H. Power, Apr 16, 2004

  2. John H. Power

    wilker Guest

    John H. Power <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > There is obviously a conflict in codecs or something somewhere
    > so I was wondering of there was a way I could temporarily "disable"
    > the DVD software while I did what I need to do in Premiere and then
    > "enable" it after I was done.

    John,
    1. double-click the SYSTEM icon in the CONTROL PANEL
    2. click the HARDWARE tab, and then click the DEVICE MANAGER
    3. click the (+ )at the DVD/CD-ROM in the list
    4. right click the DVD drive and select disable
    5. select YES in the pop-up dialog box
    this will place a red X by the device showing the device is disabled

    Sorry can't help you with the second part of your question.

    wilker

    wilker, Apr 17, 2004