    will tell me if I have someone "piggybacking" onto my Network?

    Cheers,

    Karl.

    Karl Shaw, Nov 20, 2004

  2. Karl Shaw

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:RVMnd.150$ "Karl Shaw"
    <> wrote:

    > Got a 54G wireless network. Is there any software or a way in Windows
    > that will tell me if I have someone "piggybacking" onto my Network?

    If nothing else, your AP/router/whatever should have some way to display
    the MAC addresses of all the systems that are connected.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Nov 20, 2004

  3. Karl Shaw

    mikeFNB Guest

    just set the router to listed mac addresses only.
    mike

    "Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    > In news:RVMnd.150$ "Karl Shaw"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Got a 54G wireless network. Is there any software or a way in Windows
    > > that will tell me if I have someone "piggybacking" onto my Network?

    > If nothing else, your AP/router/whatever should have some way to display
    > the MAC addresses of all the systems that are connected.
    >
    > --
    > Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    ---

    mikeFNB, Nov 20, 2004
  4. Karl Shaw

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:tZMnd.174$ "mikeFNB"
    <moc.dlrowltn@FNB7G-ekim> wrote:

    > just set the router to listed mac addresses only.

    That's only if he doesn't want them in.

    He just asked if there was a way to see.

    Bert Hyman, Nov 20, 2004
  5. Karl Shaw wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Got a 54G wireless network. Is there any software or a way in Windows
    > that will tell me if I have someone "piggybacking" onto my Network?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Karl.

    There are intrussion detection systems for Windows and wireless networks.
    But these programs are for professional use and very expensive (>$1000). On
    Linux the free wireless tool Kismet brings limited intrussion detection
    functions with it.

    There is only one way to watch the network from an other point then the AP.
    You need to sniff all traffic on the channel. On Windows there are special
    modified drivers needed to du so, on Linux most wireless drivers have the
    needed functions biultin or can be patched.

    Thomas

    Thomas =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kr=FCger?=, Nov 20, 2004
  6. Karl Shaw

    Sooner Al Guest

    Look at AirSnare...

    http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    Sooner Al, Nov 21, 2004
  7. On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:28:49 GMT, "Karl Shaw" <>
    wrote:

    >Got a 54G wireless network. Is there any software or a way in Windows that
    >will tell me if I have someone "piggybacking" onto my Network?

    Is there some reason you didn't reveal the make and model of your
    wireless router? They're not all the same and solutions of this sort
    tend to be unique to the device. See what fits:

    1. Arpwatch for Linux. Detects a new MAC address on the LAN. The
    Windoze version is WinArpWatch:
    http://www.arp-sk.org
    2. Search Google for "Wireless Intrusion Detection" systems. There
    are dozens of varying quality and prices.
    3. SNMP. If your unspecified router supports SNMP broadcasts (many
    Linksys do), then you can use an SNMP watch utility. I use:
    http://www.logviewer.de.vu
    and some other SNMP trap logging software.
    4. MRTG and SNMP. I use a MIB browser to extract the number of
    client connections from an access point and graph the number of
    connections (and other things) using MRTG. The access point(s) must
    support SNMP for this to work.
    5. Wi-Fi Defense.
    http://www.otosoftware.com/wireless.asp
    I keep looking at this, but never have time to try it. Your turn.
    6.

    --
    Jeff Liebermann -cruz.ca.us
    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    Jeff Liebermann, Nov 21, 2004
  8. Karl Shaw

    Karl Shaw Guest

    "Jeff Liebermann" <-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:28:49 GMT, "Karl Shaw" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Got a 54G wireless network. Is there any software or a way in Windows
    >>that
    >>will tell me if I have someone "piggybacking" onto my Network?

    > Is there some reason you didn't reveal the make and model of your
    > wireless router? They're not all the same and solutions of this sort
    > tend to be unique to the device. See what fits:
    >
    > 1. Arpwatch for Linux. Detects a new MAC address on the LAN. The
    > Windoze version is WinArpWatch:
    > http://www.arp-sk.org
    > 2. Search Google for "Wireless Intrusion Detection" systems. There
    > are dozens of varying quality and prices.
    > 3. SNMP. If your unspecified router supports SNMP broadcasts (many
    > Linksys do), then you can use an SNMP watch utility. I use:
    > http://www.logviewer.de.vu
    > and some other SNMP trap logging software.
    > 4. MRTG and SNMP. I use a MIB browser to extract the number of
    > client connections from an access point and graph the number of
    > connections (and other things) using MRTG. The access point(s) must
    > support SNMP for this to work.
    > 5. Wi-Fi Defense.
    > http://www.otosoftware.com/wireless.asp
    > I keep looking at this, but never have time to try it. Your turn.
    > 6.
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Liebermann -cruz.ca.us
    > Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    Sorry, my fault for not mentioning more detail. I have a Linksys WRT54G
    running 4 computers, soon to be secured via WEP.

    Jeff : I tried Wi-Fi Defense and liked it. It's a shame that it's $30 to
    buy it though.

    Does anyone know of any software similar to Wi-Fi Defense that is free?

    Thanks.

    Karl Shaw, Nov 21, 2004
  9. On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:33:49 GMT, "Karl Shaw" <>
    wrote:

    >Sorry, my fault for not mentioning more detail. I have a Linksys WRT54G
    >running 4 computers, soon to be secured via WEP.

    Security is a good thing, or so I've been led to believe.

    >Jeff : I tried Wi-Fi Defense and liked it. It's a shame that it's $30 to
    >buy it though.

    Surely it's worth $30. You'll probably spend days testing or writing
    software just to save a lousy $30. No wonder programming isn't the
    road to riches. Sigh...

    >Does anyone know of any software similar to Wi-Fi Defense that is free?

    See "Linksys Logging Utilities":
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2613
    I think all of them are free.
    I still prefer Log Viewer:
    http://www.logviewer.de.vu
    although it's not intended to act as an alarm or security system. You
    can add your own scripting or log file grovelling scripts to do the
    actual detection of the added MAC address. Just about any SNMP trap
    logger, SNMP event logger, or syslog simulator will work.
    http://www.snmplink.org

    Jeff Liebermann, Nov 21, 2004
  10. Karl Shaw

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    If you are using the Router's DHCP, there is a menu in the Router that would
    show you the IPs that are logged.

    If there is an IP that is not used by your computers then someone is
    leaching.

    Be sure to use the security measures just in case:

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Nov 22, 2004
  11. "Jack" <www.ezlan.net> wrote:
    >If you are using the Router's DHCP, there is a menu in the Router that would
    >show you the IPs that are logged.

    Note, however, that someone programming up a static IP can still use
    your network without the DHCP server's logging showing it. Use the
    "Show me the connected MAC addresses" function instead of the "Show me
    who I handed DHCP addresses out to" function.

    And yeah, turn on at least 128-bit WEP with a good random hex key.

    William P.N. Smith, Nov 22, 2004