    appricated. and any info on where i can find info on my connection
    --
    judguy

    judguy, Mar 11, 2008

  2. Hi
    I think that Virgin Media is a Cable Internet service thus the MTU of the
    computer should be 1500.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 11, 2008

  3. judguy

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 11, 5:35 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote:
    > Hi
    > I think that Virgin Media is a Cable Internet service thus the MTU of the
    > computer should be 1500.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "judguy" <> wrote in message

    > > .hi this may seem really simple but can someone please explain what what
    > > system i am useing i.e modem dial up, isdn, cable dsl, 0-512, 512+,
    > > 1meg2meg,10meg,dsl(pppoe) etc. i ask this as ive just downloaded a program
    > > that optimizes my connection and would like to try it.
    > > ive got vigin media 4meg package from my computer ive got a wire that goes
    > > into d-link di-524 wireless router. a wire from there into the wall (ive
    > > got
    > > to have the set top box on for the internet to work. so any help would be
    > > appricated. and any info on where i can find info on my connection
    > > --
    > > judguy- Hide quoted text -

    Cable iInternet : uses COAX cable most of the time. Usaually
    assigned IP address
    from you service provider's DHCP system

    Dail-up Internet : You are given a telephone number to dial before
    you can get
    Internet. You may hear the dial tones
    during the dialing.

    DSL -- This is the most complex service to determine without looking
    at the service
    contract.

    Posibility of Static IP, Dynamic PPPoE or DHCP

    Static IP: You are asigned an IP address and subnet mask
    to be entered
    directly into the network adapter /
    router

    PPPoE (or other variations)
    Given a user account name and password to be
    entered during
    your connection process.

    As for the speed, without reading your service contract, you can head
    over to DSL Reports web site and maybe one of their "tools" might be
    able to tell you your speed.

    As for using a router, you will need a broadband Internet service
    (Cable or DSL) since dial-up will be too slow.

    smlunatick, Mar 12, 2008