    Help?
    Thanks
    Lisa
    glassofwhine, Oct 4, 2005

  2. glassofwhine

    why? Guest

    On 4 Oct 2005 12:10:26 -0700, glassofwhine wrote:

    >Hi
    >I use my laptop a lot and am getting some carpal tunnel effects. I got
    >a keyboard (and monitor!) from freecycle (such an amazing community)
    >but when I plug them in, nothing happens. How do I adjust settings so
    >that my IBM Thinkpad laptop knows to use the external keyboard and

    Any particular model of Thinkpad?

    What operating system?

    Is it a USB flat connector or PS/2 round connector for the keyboard?

    For the monitor -

    You need to find the 'Fn' key and another key with the same color text
    that has a monitor icon on it. When you press Fn (hold it down) and
    press the key with the monitor logo (or it says CRT/LCD), it should
    switch between -

    internal LCD - external video - both

    From www.google.com found
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4YQHUC
    says

    Toggle between the internal LCD display and an external CRT display by
    pressing the Fn and F7 keys simultaneously on the ThinkPad keyboard.
    Notes:

    * The Presentation Director menu window may interfere with the
    functionality of the Fn and F7 keystroke.
    * There are generally three display mode settings to toggle through
    (LCD, CRT, and both).
    * Some ThinkPad models only support two display modes. CRT only or
    LCD only.

    >monitor instead of internal ones? I tried 'Control Panel - add

    Also found this for a keyboard,
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4YQKLQ
    there is a section - Test the keyboard for errors

    >hardware' without success.
    >Help?
    >Thanks
    >Lisa

    Me
    why?, Oct 4, 2005

  3. glassofwhine

    Kenny Guest

    Didn't even know that freecycle existed or what it is. It certainly looks
    interesting and useful.

    --

    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Oct 4, 2005
  4. glassofwhine

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    glassofwhine <> wrote:

    > How do I adjust settings so
    > that my IBM Thinkpad laptop knows to use the external keyboard and
    > monitor instead of internal ones? I tried 'Control Panel - add
    > hardware' without success.

    Why does it have to turn off the keyboard? Doesn't teh atteched one
    work?
    Mitch, Oct 5, 2005
  5. glassofwhine

    Gordon Guest

    "glassofwhine" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I use my laptop a lot and am getting some carpal tunnel effects. I
    > got a keyboard (and monitor!) from freecycle (such an amazing
    > community) but when I plug them in, nothing happens.

    The keyboard should work without you doing anything at all. It might be that
    the keyboard doesn't work. Try another one that you know works. (They are
    VERY cheap to buy new by the way.......)
    Gordon, Oct 5, 2005
  6. glassofwhine

    glassofwhine Guest

    Hi.

    The FN/F7 seem to be the monitor switch; seems I just need longer
    screws for the pin connector as it won't stay attached to back of
    laptop.
    And I will need to get external mouse used somewhere (oops, forgot
    about that).

    The keyboard has a round connector. I think the Thinkpad is T2 (or
    could be T1?)
    Operating system is Windows 2000.

    I couldn't get any effect out of the 'test the keyboard for errors', in
    terms of recognizing another keyboard.

    I just noticed that someone here posted the external keyboard may be
    broken. Perhaps that's the problem. Maybe incentive for me to buy an
    angled-hands ergo. keyboard, and see if I can get it to work with the
    laptop.

    :(
    Lisa
    And re: Freecycle, yes, a neat community - likely exists in most of
    your communities. The Craigslist / Barter is useful, too!
    glassofwhine, Oct 5, 2005
  7. glassofwhine

    jeff elohim

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    ...for ct effects, use natural b's (never use surgery!)..

    RE ct effects: Prevention and recovery naturally is always best.
    Everyone I've met that had the surgery regretted it within 2 years.
    No one who has tried the vitamins regrets it. How about that?!
    Google for more info and check Maureen Salaman's "Answers.." book.
    Or any other good book on natural normal healthy prevention and recovery.
    (Health care under the ama isn't allowed to tell you by law I think;$$$$uknow)
    jeff elohim, Jul 4, 2006
  8. glassofwhine

    salisha

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Hi,

    I'm pretty computer illiterate so please be kind.

    I'm having a similar issue. I can't get my external keyboard to work with my laptop (Asus F3Sc). I have checked the keyboard on another computer and it works fine. Windows XP is also recognising the keyboard and is telling me that it is installed.

    I think the problem may be in the connector, PS/2 (I assume, round one with 6 pins) to USB, however when I plug a PS/2 mouse into either slot (it has a seperate slot to connect mouse and the keyboard) the mouse works fine.

    How do I check that I have the right adaptor/connector?

    Thanks.
    salisha, Feb 12, 2008
  9. glassofwhine

    salisha

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Hi,

    so in addition to above. I can plug a pre-2000 keyboard into the connector/adaptor and the keyboard works fine. Also when i plug the keyboard into the mouse plug the mouse cursor moves when I press certain keys.

    What is going on?
    salisha, Feb 12, 2008