  1. Hi guys,

    I'm having some trouble with my backups, so I want to know how I can stop the SQL service via the command line so I can stop the service before the backups start and restart it when the backups are completed. The backup program already has the ability to run scripts before and after the backup jobs so I only need to know the commands for starting and stopping the local SQL service on the machines.

    Thanks...

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgTHVrb3dza2k=?=, May 25, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgTHVrb3dza2k=?=

    molsonexpert Guest

    "Chris Lukowski" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I'm having some trouble with my backups, so I want to know how I can stop

    the SQL service via the command line so I can stop the service before the
    backups start and restart it when the backups are completed. The backup
    program already has the ability to run scripts before and after the backup
    jobs so I only need to know the commands for starting and stopping the local
    SQL service on the machines.

    > Thanks...

    net stop mssqlserver

    It's in BOL.

    --
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever."

    molsonexpert, May 25, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgTHVrb3dza2k=?=

    no one Guest

    one cavaet: if you stop the sql server service, your
    system will be "down" while backing up. Does your
    operation allow for this down time? If not, then buy the
    SQL aware agent for your backup software application. It
    will backup up your sql databases even if they are "in
    use".

    no one, May 25, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgTHVrb3dza2k=?=

    Paul Lynch Guest

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 06:16:06 -0700, "Chris Lukowski"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi guys,
    >
    >I'm having some trouble with my backups, so I want to know how I can stop the SQL service via the command line so I can stop the service before the backups start and restart it when the backups are completed. The backup program already has the ability to run scripts before and after the backup jobs so I only need to know the commands for starting and stopping the local SQL service on the machines.
    >
    >Thanks...

    http://www.holgermetzger.de/pix/bart.jpg

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, May 25, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgTHVrb3dza2k=?=

    Neil Guest

    Neil, May 25, 2004
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgTHVrb3dza2k=?=

    Neil Guest

    "no one" <> wrote in

    > one cavaet: if you stop the sql server service, your
    > system will be "down" while backing up. Does your
    > operation allow for this down time? If not, then buy the
    > SQL aware agent for your backup software application. It
    > will backup up your sql databases even if they are "in
    > use".

    further to this, if you are not going to anti up for the agent (which you
    should), consider using SQL backups to files (full database and trn
    backups) so that you can at least keep your transaction logs under
    control. These would then be backed up onto tape during a normal backup
    as well (even if you don't shut SQL down).

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 25, 2004
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgTHVrb3dza2k=?=

    Neil Guest

    Neil, May 25, 2004
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgTHVrb3dza2k=?=

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "Neil" <> wrote in message
    > Paul Lynch <> wrote in
    >
    > > http://www.holgermetzger.de/pix/bart.jpg

    > Paul, do you spend all your time looking for these?

    No, Paul must have bookmarked them way back in his LotW days...

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, May 25, 2004
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgTHVrb3dza2k=?=

    Paul Lynch Guest

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 11:22:38 -0400, "Ken Briscoe"
    <> wrote:

    >"Neil" <> wrote in message
    >> Paul Lynch <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > http://www.holgermetzger.de/pix/bart.jpg

    >> Paul, do you spend all your time looking for these?

    >No, Paul must have bookmarked them way back in his LotW days...

    Hey !!!

    I was Lamer of the YEAR, if you don't mind....

    Pah, LotW indeed..... some people...... I don't know....

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, May 25, 2004
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgTHVrb3dza2k=?=

    Paul Lynch Guest

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 07:57:52 -0700, Neil <>
    wrote:

    >Paul Lynch <> wrote in
    >
    >> http://www.holgermetzger.de/pix/bart.jpg

    >Paul, do you spend all your time looking for these?
    >
    >;)

    Yes, I have got *literally* nothing else to do.....

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, May 25, 2004
  11. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgTHVrb3dza2k=?=

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "Paul Lynch" <> wrote in message
    > Hey !!!
    >
    > I was Lamer of the YEAR, if you don't mind....
    >
    > Pah, LotW indeed..... some people...... I don't know....

    My bad...I have to brush up on my MCNGP history a little bit. "Paul's Year"
    was before my time. Sorry for insulting you.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, May 25, 2004
  12. The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 25, 2004
  13. Paul Lynch wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 May 2004 07:57:52 -0700, Neil <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Paul Lynch <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> http://www.holgermetzger.de/pix/bart.jpg

    >> Paul, do you spend all your time looking for these?
    >>
    >> ;)

    > Yes, I have got *literally* nothing else to do.....

    That's because people like you and Consultant are so damned good at your
    jobs, nothing breaks and you have lots of free time.

    --
    Fris "I, on the other hand, am just goofing off" bee®

    Certaholics

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, May 25, 2004
  14. > nothing breaks and you have lots of free time.

    as it should be.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 25, 2004
  15. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgTHVrb3dza2k=?=

    Neil Guest

    Paul Lynch <> wrote in

    > Hey !!!
    >
    > I was Lamer of the YEAR, if you don't mind....
    >
    > Pah, LotW indeed..... some people...... I don't know....

    it's noce to have something you are proud of...

    ;)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 25, 2004
  16. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgTHVrb3dza2k=?=

    Paul Lynch Guest

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 12:42:08 -0400, Frisbee®
    <> wrote:

    >Paul Lynch wrote:
    >> On Tue, 25 May 2004 07:57:52 -0700, Neil <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Paul Lynch <> wrote in

    >>> Paul, do you spend all your time looking for these?
    >>>
    >>> ;)

    >> Yes, I have got *literally* nothing else to do.....

    >That's because people like you and Consultant are so damned good at your
    >jobs, nothing breaks and you have lots of free time.

    Consultant is the Head Fries and Burger Chef, I just take the orders..

    ;-)

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, May 25, 2004
  17. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgTHVrb3dza2k=?=

    Neil Guest

    Paul Lynch <> wrote in

    > Yes, I have got *literally* nothing else to do.....

    I'll put you in touch with my wife. There may still be some gardening that
    needs to be done at my house...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 25, 2004
  18. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgTHVrb3dza2k=?=

    Paul Lynch Guest

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 09:57:01 -0700, Neil <>
    wrote:

    >it's noce to have something you are proud of...
    >
    >;)

    'noce' ?! You try to confuse !

    Dude, proud of it ? Its on my CV (or resume for you colonial types)

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, May 25, 2004
  19. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgTHVrb3dza2k=?=

    Paul Lynch Guest

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 10:01:14 -0700, Neil <>
    wrote:

    >Paul Lynch <> wrote in
    >
    >> Yes, I have got *literally* nothing else to do.....

    >I'll put you in touch with my wife.

    A person with less professional integrity than myself would attempt to
    make some cheap remark about this......

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, May 25, 2004
  20. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgTHVrb3dza2k=?=

    Neil Guest

    Paul Lynch <> wrote in

    > Dude, proud of it ? Its on my CV (or resume for you colonial types)

    I will need physical evidence of this. please have your HR dept email me
    thier copy of your CV as proof...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 25, 2004