    boxes that keep infesting my screen. I am reluctant to be held to ransom
    by these grey pop up box merchants and their endless messages that are
    basically saying--....PAY UP NOW IF YOU WANT TO STOP THESE POPUP BOXES.
    Ian, Jul 11, 2003

  2. Ian

    Ionizer Guest

    Related to Messenger: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/winmesspop.htm

    Ionizer, Jul 11, 2003

  3. Ian

    Shep© Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:11:57 -0400, In this world we created "Ionizer"
    <> wrote :

    >Related to Messenger: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/winmesspop.htm

    Thanks.That's another annoyance gone :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,
    Shep©, Jul 11, 2003
  4. "Ian" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a Free download somewhere that is able to stop those grey popup
    > boxes that keep infesting my screen. I am reluctant to be held to ransom
    > by these grey pop up box merchants and their endless messages that are
    > basically saying--....PAY UP NOW IF YOU WANT TO STOP THESE POPUP BOXES.

    I killfile anyone who uses free downloads.
    Brenadier Jehosephat, Jul 11, 2003
  5. Ian

    BRG Guest

    "Ian" <> wrote in

    > Is there a Free download somewhere that is able to stop those
    > grey popup boxes that keep infesting my screen. I am reluctant
    > to be held to ransom by these grey pop up box merchants and
    > their endless messages that are basically saying--....PAY UP
    > NOW IF YOU WANT TO STOP THESE POPUP BOXES.

    Well-known problem, read all about it here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330904

    --
    BRG
    ===
    BRG, Jul 11, 2003
  6. Ian rambled on about something in
    <5zFPa.1426$>:

    > Is there a Free download somewhere that is able to stop those grey
    > popup
    > boxes that keep infesting my screen. I am reluctant to be held to
    > ransom
    > by these grey pop up box merchants and their endless messages that
    > are basically saying--....PAY UP NOW IF YOU WANT TO STOP THESE POPUP
    > BOXES.

    Was onsite at a client's house today. I got this exact one...

    My temporary solution was to disable the Messenger service.

    start/control panel/administrative tools/services

    Look for messenger, right click, then left click on properties.
    Change the startup to 'disable'. Click "stop" then apply, then OK.
    That stops the popups, but they're coming in to the computer on an
    open port...that needs to be closed somehow.

    I recommend getting a firewall of sorts (Software/hardware,
    whatever you prefer) to make sure no one can access your system...

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck, Jul 12, 2003