    how do we go about getting the mcse certification? I tried
    to get this basic information from mcst's site but i
    couldn't. for eg. where do we start, whee dowe contact etc.

    emmanuel, Oct 12, 2003

  2. emmanuel

    Lady Guest

    Purchase some study materials for the Windows 2000 Professional (70-210
    test) or the XP Professional (70-270 test).

    In between studying, visit Microsoft's Training and Certification homepage
    to decide which MCSE track you want to follow.

    It may take some time to sort it out and decide exactly which tests you want
    to take, but because already be studying for a test, no time will be lost.
    By the time you're ready for the second test, you'll know the route to take.

    Some good study materials are the Microsoft Official Curriculum (MOC) that
    you can get if you take a class at a Microsoft Approved CTEC.. For
    self-study, MS Press Training Kit can be found at www.amazon.com for each
    test they offer. Sometimes, you can find MOCs on www.ebay.com

    Hope this helps.

    Lady, Oct 12, 2003

  3. emmanuel

    Herb Martin Guest

    "emmanuel" <> wrote in message
    > how do we go about getting the mcse certification? I tried
    > to get this basic information from mcst's site but i
    > couldn't. for eg. where do we start, whee dowe contact etc.

    Pick an exam and product.
    Find the outline through http://www.Microsoft.com/mcp
    Load the product on a practice machine if you have little experience OR
    if you only have production machine that are unsafe to "play with."
    Read the outline and see how much you already know.
    Run through the outline working with the relevant tools on each area.
    Hit help A LOT.
    Buy a book AFTER you know if you need more help.

    Do the above for about 2 days, register for the exam for 1-2 weeks later.
    Take the exam -- make you own private notes when you finish the exam.

    IF you passed: Use your notes to review weak areas (you are trying to
    learn, right?) and to prepare for next exam.

    If you didn't pass: RE-register IMMEDIATELY for about 2-14 days
    later; 4-8 days is ideal.

    Use the notes to RE-prepare.

    Repeat until you are an MCSE. (Really).

    Although even the above is TOO SLOW. Ideally you study for some
    exams together and take them on the same day or with one or two.

    --
    Herb Martin

    Herb Martin, Oct 12, 2003
  4. it all depands on how much money you have & are willing to spend on training
    & certification. to get an MCSE will cost min $125 x 7 US +/- what you
    spend on training materials and or courses. in my opinion, there is not
    enough material there to justify 7 exams, but thats just my opiniion.

    theoretically, you could just take self test prep. exams/books and learn
    from them and pass, but not a good way to do it. you peobably won't have a
    good enough grasp on the material that if you come accross a re-worded
    question or a tricky contradictory question (there are lots of them in the
    exams), you won't know how to answer and get it wrong.

    i recommed following the study & prep recommendation that are on
    www.microsoft.com/traincert site. afterall, microsoft are the ones who
    prepare the exams, they should be considered the authority on how to best
    prepare for the exams.

    good luck,
    and some personal advice, start "training yourself" to answer your own
    questions. all the info you need is available to you by going to the
    microsoft web site. the tech field is highly competitive, the more you ask
    other techs, the more you reveal how much less you know than them, and the
    more they will use that against you.

    emmanuel wrote:

    > how do we go about getting the mcse certification? I tried
    > to get this basic information from mcst's site but i
    > couldn't. for eg. where do we start, whee dowe contact etc.

    --
    Darko Gavrilovic, MCP

    Darko Gavrilovic, Oct 12, 2003