    right?)

    Thank you for the help!

    IT is very exciting now!
    n, Nov 19, 2004

  2. n

    gpsmaps Guest

    (n) wrote in
    news::

    > .raw pictures were taken on a canon 10d and processed and saved as
    > .tif in photoshop.
    >
    > these files are too big and needed in .jpeg format.
    >
    > how do i batch convert a folder full of .tif files to .jpeg ones in
    > irfan view.
    > The goal is to provide some web images that will be relatively quick
    > look ok up to 6x4inch print size. (That would be about 640x480,
    > right?)
    >
    > Thank you for the help!
    >
    > IT is very exciting now!

    I check my version and you need to push f1 and it will explain how to do
    it.
    gpsmaps, Nov 19, 2004

  3. n

    Aerticeus Guest

    LOL gpsmaps

    Hmm gpsmaps now there is a thing!

    Is there a decent gps that can talk to my computer without trailing wires?

    Gorra be lite n neat n tite so it can fit in a ruccie

    Aerticeus

    Aerticeus, Nov 19, 2004
  4. n

    gpsmaps Guest

    "Aerticeus" <> wrote in

    > LOL gpsmaps
    >
    > Hmm gpsmaps now there is a thing!
    >
    > Is there a decent gps that can talk to my computer without trailing
    > wires?
    >
    > Gorra be lite n neat n tite so it can fit in a ruccie
    >
    > Aerticeus
    >
    > "gpsmaps" <> wrote in message
    >> (n) wrote in
    >>
    >>> .raw pictures were taken on a canon 10d and processed and saved as
    >>> .tif in photoshop.
    >>>
    >>> these files are too big and needed in .jpeg format.
    >>>
    >>> how do i batch convert a folder full of .tif files to .jpeg ones in
    >>> irfan view.
    >>> The goal is to provide some web images that will be relatively quick
    >>> look ok up to 6x4inch print size. (That would be about 640x480,
    >>> right?)
    >>>
    >>> Thank you for the help!
    >>>
    >>> IT is very exciting now!
    >>>

    >> I check my version and you need to push f1 and it will explain how to
    >> do it.

    Most still need wire unless you go blue tooth from what I seen.
    gpsmaps, Nov 19, 2004
  5. n

    Steve Guest

    n wrote:
    > .raw pictures were taken on a canon 10d and processed and saved as
    > .tif in photoshop.
    >
    > these files are too big and needed in .jpeg format.
    >
    > how do i batch convert a folder full of .tif files to .jpeg ones in
    > irfan view.
    > The goal is to provide some web images that will be relatively quick
    > look ok up to 6x4inch print size. (That would be about 640x480,
    > right?)
    >
    > Thank you for the help!
    >
    > IT is very exciting now!

    n:

    I use IrfanView for reviewing my pics, but I NO longer use it for resizing
    and instead use a more complete photo editing product Paint Shop Pro (or
    Photoshop Elements will work too). IrfanView comes with a help file, that
    has a shortcut in the IrfanView Start Menu folder. It is called "Command
    Line Options" and it has several excellent examples that will answer your
    question.

    Sometimes check the help BEFORE posting to a NG will get you the correct
    answer faster!

    Steve
    Steve, Nov 20, 2004
  6. n

    Matt Ion Guest

    n wrote:
    > .raw pictures were taken on a canon 10d and processed and saved as
    > .tif in photoshop.
    >
    > these files are too big and needed in .jpeg format.
    >
    > how do i batch convert a folder full of .tif files to .jpeg ones in
    > irfan view.
    > The goal is to provide some web images that will be relatively quick
    > look ok up to 6x4inch print size. (That would be about 640x480,
    > right?)
    >
    > Thank you for the help!
    >
    > IT is very exciting now!

    I see you've got the typical variation of pointless and "RTFM"-type
    answers so far. Now for something actually useful.

    Assuming you have a fairly recent version of IrfanView, you just go to
    File -> Batch Conversion/Rename...

    Navigate to the folder with the desired pictures in "Look in:"; select
    the pictures you want and "Add" (or "Add all" if appropriate) them to
    the "Input files" list. Select your output directory and "Include
    subdirectories" if desired (I'll usually click "Use this directory as
    output" and then add "smaller" to the end of the folder path; this
    creates a new folder called "smaller" under the source of the pictures,
    and puts the resized ones in there).

    Under "Work as:", select "Batch conversion" or "Batch conversion -
    rename result files" depending on how you want them output (I go with
    the former, using the above directory settings).

    Set "Output format:" to "JPG - JPEG Format" and use the Options button
    to adjust JPEG settings as needed (I usually find an 85% compression
    setting works well for web images).

    Check the "Use advanced options" button and then click "Set advanced
    options". In the "Set for all images:" dialog, click the "RESIZE"
    secion, and select your desired resizing parameters (hint: if you "Set
    both sides to:" and enter 640 for both width and height, making sure
    "Preserve aspect ratio (proportional)" is checked, it will resize
    pictures so the maximum of either dimension is 640 - portait layouts
    will be 640 high by whatever smaller width; landscape will be 640 wide
    by whatever appropriate height).

    There are also options to alter color depth, flip/mirror/rotate, adjust
    bright/contrast/gamma/saturation/etc., add text to images, and more, as
    part of the batch process.

    Once you have those settings as you want them, click OK (you can also
    "Save settings" if you plan to use the same settings regularly). When
    you're ready, click the "Start" button at the top beside the "Input
    files:" list, and watch the fun!
    Matt Ion, Nov 20, 2004
  7. Matt Ion <> writes:

    >There are also options to alter color depth, flip/mirror/rotate, adjust
    >bright/contrast/gamma/saturation/etc., add text to images, and more, as
    >part of the batch process.

    One particularly useful thing to do while downsizing images is a small
    amount of sharpening after the resizing. Irfanview can do that as part
    of the batch process. Check the "Sharpen" box in the batch dialogue,
    then enter a sharpening amount. I prefer something like 10 (out of
    1-99) which is relatively subtle.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Nov 20, 2004
  8. n

    Matt Ion Guest

    Dave Martindale wrote:
    > Matt Ion <> writes:
    >

    >>There are also options to alter color depth, flip/mirror/rotate, adjust
    >>bright/contrast/gamma/saturation/etc., add text to images, and more, as
    >>part of the batch process.

    > One particularly useful thing to do while downsizing images is a small
    > amount of sharpening after the resizing. Irfanview can do that as part
    > of the batch process. Check the "Sharpen" box in the batch dialogue,
    > then enter a sharpening amount. I prefer something like 10 (out of
    > 1-99) which is relatively subtle.

    Cool idea, I'll try that. Thanks!
    Matt Ion, Nov 20, 2004