    wirelessly. If I am in the wrong group please direct me to the appropriate
    group
    Any advice will be appreciated.
    SouthAfricanStan, Apr 19, 2006

  2. SouthAfricanStan

    Malke Guest

    SouthAfricanStan wrote:

    > I have a Netgear ADSL wireless firewall router, a new laptop, a PC and
    > a hp officejet 6213 printer.
    > The printer and PC were (and still are) connected to each other via a
    > USB cable
    > A friend setup the laptop to successfully connect wirelessly to the
    > internet and email, but is unable to share files and printer between
    > laptop and PC wirelessly. If I am in the wrong group please direct me
    > to the appropriate group
    > Any advice will be appreciated.

    The fact that the laptop is using wireless is irrelevant. You need to
    create your local area network (lan) and set up file/printer sharing
    and then you can do what you want. You didn't mention what operating
    system the desktop is running (or what versions - Home or Pro) you've
    got, but I'm going to assume XP Service Pack 2 and Home. Here are
    general setup steps:

    Run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable
    File & Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will
    turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    Shared Documents folder.

    You would then right-click on the printer icon on the desktop and share
    it. It may show up automagically on the laptop, or you can use the Add
    Printer function.

    Here are some links with more information:

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
    (Pro)

    http://www.wown.info/
    http://www.ezlan.net/index.html