    knows of, please let me know. Thanks. I appreciate your help.

    Susan
    , May 18, 2007

  2. WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can I just purchase a PCMCIA wireless broadband card without setting
    > up a home network? I only have one computer which is my Toshiba Tablet
    > PC Satellite R15. I've upgraded it to Windows Vista Ultimate from
    > WinXP S2.
    >
    > So, I can just setup a Sprint or Verizon mobile wireless broadband
    > service with software installation, slot my card in, and voila?!? I
    > shouldn't even need a router because I only have that one computer,
    > right?.

    Correct.

    I know service charges are high as much as $80 per month, but
    > I don't mind, really.
    >
    > If there are cheaper national wireless broadband services that anyone
    > knows of, please let me know. Thanks. I appreciate your help.
    >
    > Susan

    Do you really need national service? You travel that much? I have broadband
    here at the house, and I dial-up the 3 weeks or so a year that I'm away from
    home.
    WhzzKdd, May 18, 2007

  3. Guest

    On May 18, 1:35 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Can I just purchase a PCMCIA wireless broadband card without setting
    > > up a home network? I only have one computer which is my Toshiba Tablet
    > > PC Satellite R15. I've upgraded it to Windows Vista Ultimate from
    > > WinXP S2.

    > > So, I can just setup a Sprint or Verizon mobile wireless broadband
    > > service with software installation, slot my card in, and voila?!? I
    > > shouldn't even need a router because I only have that one computer,
    > > right?.

    > Correct.

    Good. Thanks. That's a relief. I honestly didn't know if it was that
    easy. I don't know anything about networking.

    > I know service charges are high as much as $80 per month, but
    >
    > > I don't mind, really.

    > > If there are cheaper national wireless broadband services that anyone
    > > knows of, please let me know. Thanks. I appreciate your help.

    > > Susan

    > Do you really need national service? You travel that much? I have broadband
    > here at the house, and I dial-up the 3 weeks or so a year that I'm away from
    > home.

    Actually, no, I just thought since this was a newsgroup, nobody would
    know of any local companies that give a better price around Nashville,
    TN area.

    Thanks, I appreciate your help. Now, I just need to find a local
    company around Nashville.
    , May 18, 2007
  4. wrote:
    > On May 18, 1:35 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >><> wrote in message

    >>>Can I just purchase a PCMCIA wireless broadband card without setting
    >>>up a home network? I only have one computer which is my Toshiba Tablet
    >>>PC Satellite R15. I've upgraded it to Windows Vista Ultimate from
    >>>WinXP S2.

    >>>So, I can just setup a Sprint or Verizon mobile wireless broadband
    >>>service with software installation, slot my card in, and voila?!? I
    >>>shouldn't even need a router because I only have that one computer,
    >>>right?.

    >>Correct.

    > Good. Thanks. That's a relief. I honestly didn't know if it was that
    > easy. I don't know anything about networking.
    >

    >>I know service charges are high as much as $80 per month, but
    >>

    >>>I don't mind, really.

    >>>If there are cheaper national wireless broadband services that anyone
    >>>knows of, please let me know. Thanks. I appreciate your help.

    >>>Susan

    >>Do you really need national service? You travel that much? I have broadband
    >>here at the house, and I dial-up the 3 weeks or so a year that I'm away from
    >>home.

    > Actually, no, I just thought since this was a newsgroup, nobody would
    > know of any local companies that give a better price around Nashville,
    > TN area.
    >
    > Thanks, I appreciate your help. Now, I just need to find a local
    > company around Nashville.

    They've got some great titty bars in Nashville. To hell with that Elvis
    museum and country music people.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 18, 2007
  5. Rôgêr wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On May 18, 1:35 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >>
    >>> <> wrote in message

    >>> Correct.

    >> Good. Thanks. That's a relief. I honestly didn't know if it was that
    >> easy. I don't know anything about networking.
    >>

    >>> I know service charges are high as much as $80 per month, but

    >>> Do you really need national service? You travel that much? I have
    >>> broadband
    >>> here at the house, and I dial-up the 3 weeks or so a year that I'm
    >>> away from
    >>> home.

    >> Actually, no, I just thought since this was a newsgroup, nobody would
    >> know of any local companies that give a better price around Nashville,
    >> TN area.
    >>
    >> Thanks, I appreciate your help. Now, I just need to find a local
    >> company around Nashville.

    > They've got some great titty bars in Nashville. To hell with that Elvis
    > museum and country music people.

    Sorry, kilikini, I posted that before I saw your other posts. I hope we
    can be friends. I went through a time of maybe I'll live, maybe I won't
    recently too. But I still crack jokes and if the doctors and nurses cant
    take a joke, then I'll try something more acerbic then.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 19, 2007
  6. WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On May 18, 1:35 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> > Can I just purchase a PCMCIA wireless broadband card without setting
    >> > up a home network? I only have one computer which is my Toshiba Tablet
    >> > PC Satellite R15. I've upgraded it to Windows Vista Ultimate from
    >> > WinXP S2.

    >> > So, I can just setup a Sprint or Verizon mobile wireless broadband
    >> > service with software installation, slot my card in, and voila?!? I
    >> > shouldn't even need a router because I only have that one computer,
    >> > right?.

    >> Correct.

    > Good. Thanks. That's a relief. I honestly didn't know if it was that
    > easy. I don't know anything about networking.
    >

    >> I know service charges are high as much as $80 per month, but
    >>
    >> > I don't mind, really.

    >> > If there are cheaper national wireless broadband services that anyone
    >> > knows of, please let me know. Thanks. I appreciate your help.

    >> > Susan

    >> Do you really need national service? You travel that much? I have
    >> broadband
    >> here at the house, and I dial-up the 3 weeks or so a year that I'm away
    >> from
    >> home.

    > Actually, no, I just thought since this was a newsgroup, nobody would
    > know of any local companies that give a better price around Nashville,
    > TN area.
    >
    > Thanks, I appreciate your help. Now, I just need to find a local
    > company around Nashville.

    There are typically three types of "local" broadband - cable, DSL, and cell
    (Clearwire in my area uses cell towers for data transmission). The national
    wireless brands are (I believe) using cell towers as well.

    Check the list here for options in your area:
    http://local.yahoo.com/TN/Nashville/Computers Electronics/Internet Services/Broadband DSL

    My brother lives about half an hour outside of Nashville (I think...) and
    he's using DSL, about $35 a month IIRC. We have Embarq in my area, and use
    their business DSL at two of our three offices (the third has cable) and I
    have cable at home. It's all good <g>!
    WhzzKdd, May 19, 2007
  7. Fred Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> On May 18, 1:35 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >>
    >>><> wrote in message

    >>>Correct.

    >> Good. Thanks. That's a relief. I honestly didn't know if it was that
    >> easy. I don't know anything about networking.
    >>

    >>>I know service charges are high as much as $80 per month, but

    >>>Do you really need national service? You travel that much? I have
    >>>broadband
    >>>here at the house, and I dial-up the 3 weeks or so a year that I'm away
    >>>from
    >>>home.

    >> Actually, no, I just thought since this was a newsgroup, nobody would
    >> know of any local companies that give a better price around Nashville,
    >> TN area.
    >>
    >> Thanks, I appreciate your help. Now, I just need to find a local
    >> company around Nashville.

    What sort of company do you need? .Sounds like you just need an ISP, and
    you've already got one.
    Fred, May 19, 2007
  8. Guest

    On May 18, 6:18 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > On May 18, 1:35 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    > >> <> wrote in message

    > >> Correct.

    > > Good. Thanks. That's a relief. I honestly didn't know if it was that
    > > easy. I don't know anything about networking.

    > >> I know service charges are high as much as $80 per month, but

    > >> Do you really need national service? You travel that much? I have
    > >>broadband
    > >> here at the house, and I dial-up the 3 weeks or so a year that I'm away
    > >> from
    > >> home.

    > > Actually, no, I just thought since this was a newsgroup, nobody would
    > > know of any local companies that give a better price around Nashville,
    > > TN area.

    > > Thanks, I appreciate your help. Now, I just need to find a local
    > > company around Nashville.

    > There are typically three types of "local"broadband- cable, DSL, and cell
    > (Clearwire in my area uses cell towers for data transmission). The nationalwirelessbrands are (I believe) using cell towers as well.
    >
    > Check the list here for options in your area:http://local.yahoo.com/TN/Nashville/Computers Electronics/Internet Se...
    >
    > My brother lives about half an hour outside of Nashville (I think...

    Oh, that's cool.

    ) and
    > he's using DSL, about $35 a month IIRC. We have Embarq in my area, and use
    > their business DSL at two of our three offices (the third has cable) and I
    > have cable at home. It's all good <g>!- Hide quoted text -

    I've heard of Embarq. It was a division of Sprint, but it parted. So,
    now it's an independent local company that serves much of south
    eastern states.

    However, $35/month for DSL broadband includes wireless broadband
    access? This is where much of my confusion lied. I thought there were
    separate charges for wireless and wired. OK, so it doesn't matter how
    you access the Internet (wireless or wired, mobile or non-mobile)
    because you're accesing the same network. So, you are being billed the
    same. As long there is a hotspot near you, then you'll be able to
    access the Internet. So, there is no such thing as roaming fees for
    wireless broadband DSL or cable like for cell phone networks? Also, I
    don't need to setup any type of "box" at home or my own business
    (which is located outside of Nashville) for wireless broadband DSL,
    right? I only use my laptop at home and my business, so just two
    locations essentially.
    , May 20, 2007
  9. Guest

    On May 18, 6:29 pm, "Fred" <> wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    > > wrote:

    > >> Good. Thanks. That's a relief. I honestly didn't know if it was that
    > >> easy. I don't know anything about networking.

    > >> Actually, no, I just thought since this was a newsgroup, nobody would
    > >> know of any local companies that give a better price around Nashville,
    > >> TN area.

    > >> Thanks, I appreciate your help. Now, I just need to find a local
    > >> company around Nashville.

    > What sort of company do you need? .Sounds like you just need an ISP, and
    > you've already got one.- Hide quoted text -

    Currently, I'm with Juno using the old technology of 56K modem. :).
    , May 20, 2007
  10. WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On May 18, 6:18 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > However, $35/month for DSL broadband includes wireless broadband
    > access? This is where much of my confusion lied. I thought there were
    > separate charges for wireless and wired. OK, so it doesn't matter how
    > you access the Internet (wireless or wired, mobile or non-mobile)
    > because you're accesing the same network. So, you are being billed the
    > same. As long there is a hotspot near you, then you'll be able to
    > access the Internet. So, there is no such thing as roaming fees for
    > wireless broadband DSL or cable like for cell phone networks? Also, I
    > don't need to setup any type of "box" at home or my own business
    > (which is located outside of Nashville) for wireless broadband DSL,
    > right? I only use my laptop at home and my business, so just two
    > locations essentially.

    Correct - wireless and DSL or cable are not the same. But wireless costs
    more, and is slower. (Hotspot connections such as cafes, motels, etc., are
    providing WiFi Internet access on their dime. The Verizon/Sprint varieties
    of wireless are not hotspot access.) If you need access at two locations,
    you need to pay for two locations, our you need the Verizon/Sprint wireless.
    Add it up and see if it costs less than paying for two locations. (Keep in
    mind that your DSL provider at your office location will probably charge
    more for "business" access.)

    Here's what Verizon says about their access speed:
    "NationalAccess is capable of data speeds bursting up to 144 kbps,
    delivering average speeds up to 60 to 80 kbps. Speed claim based on our
    network tests with 5 MB FTP data files, without compression. Actual
    throughput speed and coverage vary.NationalAccess is capable of data speeds
    bursting up to 144 kbps, delivering average speeds up to 60 to 80 kbps.
    Speed claim based on our network tests with 5 MB FTP data files, without
    compression. Actual throughput speed and coverage vary."

    The say "Average speed of 80 kbps." You're not getting good speed on that -
    it's not going to make you happy if you really do a lot on the Internet. Go
    to the web site below and read the section on Cellular broadband. That's
    what Verison, Sprint etc. are offering. Even if you get the better speed the
    the wiki article describes, it's way less than the speed of the average DSL
    or cable connection.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_Internet_access

    I'd rather pay for two DSL connections - one for home, one for the office -
    and get the speed at both places.
    WhzzKdd, May 20, 2007