How do I set up security on my wireless modem/router

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by BH2, Aug 28, 2006.

  1. BH2

    BH2 Guest

    HI guys,
    looked through postings but couldnot find an asnwer, plus you probably
    answer this question before, but your help is rrally appreciated.
    I have a D-link G604T modem/router, I want to set up security on it, but
    don't really understand what the instructions mean.
    Security
    There are 2 types of security to be selected. To secure your Wireless
    Networks.
    WEP: Make sure that all wireless devices on your network are using the same
    encryption level and key. WEP keys must consist of the letters "A" through
    "F" and the numbers "0" through "9."
    WPA:
    802.1x:WPA RADIUS uses an external RADIUS server to perform user
    authentication. To use WPA RADIUS, enter the IP address of the RADIUS
    server, the RADIUS Port (default is 1812) and the shared secret from the
    RADIUS server.
    PSK: Is a special mode of WPA for home users without an enterprise
    authentication server and provides the same strong encryption protection.To
    use WPA Pre-Shared Key, enter a password in the WPA Shared Key field between
    8 and 63 characters long.
    Ok, I have read this but still don't undersrtand: I am presented with the
    following:
    These are the wireless settings for the AP(Access Point) Portion.
    Enable AP
    SSID:
    Channel: 1234567891011 1213
    Security: None WEP WPA
    Group Key Interval:
    Note: Group Key Interval is shared by all WPA options.
    802.1x Server IP Address:
    Port:
    Secret:
    PSK Hex Hex:
    PSK String String:

    What do I do, I put a password into the Secret box, but it said that the IP
    Address was invalid and something else about multiple ssid support will be
    disabled

    Thanks for you patience and help
    Regards
    Bob
    BH2, Aug 28, 2006

  2. BH2

    Lem Guest

    BH2 wrote:
    > HI guys,
    > looked through postings but couldnot find an asnwer, plus you probably
    > answer this question before, but your help is rrally appreciated.
    > I have a D-link G604T modem/router, I want to set up security on it, but
    > don't really understand what the instructions mean.
    > Security
    > There are 2 types of security to be selected. To secure your Wireless
    > Networks.
    > WEP: Make sure that all wireless devices on your network are using the same
    > encryption level and key. WEP keys must consist of the letters "A" through
    > "F" and the numbers "0" through "9."
    > WPA:
    > 802.1x:WPA RADIUS uses an external RADIUS server to perform user
    > authentication. To use WPA RADIUS, enter the IP address of the RADIUS
    > server, the RADIUS Port (default is 1812) and the shared secret from the
    > RADIUS server.
    > PSK: Is a special mode of WPA for home users without an enterprise
    > authentication server and provides the same strong encryption protection.To
    > use WPA Pre-Shared Key, enter a password in the WPA Shared Key field between
    > 8 and 63 characters long.
    > Ok, I have read this but still don't undersrtand: I am presented with the
    > following:
    > These are the wireless settings for the AP(Access Point) Portion.
    > Enable AP
    > SSID:
    > Channel: 1234567891011 1213
    > Security: None WEP WPA
    > Group Key Interval:
    > Note: Group Key Interval is shared by all WPA options.
    > 802.1x Server IP Address:
    > Port:
    > Secret:
    > PSK Hex Hex:
    > PSK String String:
    >

    > What do I do, I put a password into the Secret box, but it said that the IP
    > Address was invalid and something else about multiple ssid support will be
    > disabled
    >
    > Thanks for you patience and help
    > Regards
    > Bob

    You want WPA (or WPA2). Not WEP. A "RADIUS" server provides even
    better security, but you don't have a RADIUS server, so ignore that part.

    Choose a distinctive name and enter it in the SSID field. You will
    select this name when you go to connect from one of your wireless computers.

    Select WPA. If you have an option for AES, select that. If not, select
    PSK (PSK = Pre Shared Key)

    Leave the Group Key Interval at its default (typically 3600).

    If you are located far from your neighbors, leave the channel at its
    default (probably 6 or 7). Otherwise, set it to 1 or 11. (Channel
    selection really doesn't much matter, unless you experience interference
    from nearby wifi networks).

    Pick a long, non-dictionary-word passphrase and enter it in "PSK
    String." You will need to remember this to enter in your wifi
    connection later.

    See
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/bowman_wirelesssecurity.mspx
    for more details.
    Lem, Aug 28, 2006

  3. Hi
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 28, 2006
  4. BH2

    BH2 Guest

    Ok thanks Guys,
    after I have set up the router/modem, do I have to set up an wireless
    network using the windowsXp network wizard to enable other devices, using a
    USB flash drive
    Thanks and Regards
    Bob

    BH2, Aug 29, 2006