    TIA

    --

    ¦zulu¦ VIP

    zulu, Apr 21, 2009

  2. zulu wrote:

    > I am using XP Pro and can't find the 1360 x 768 option.
    > 1024 x 768 on a widescreen isn't right!
    > Monitor is a 26 inch Samsung LCD TV.

    What is your video card and do you have the latest proper driver for it?

    wisdomkiller & pain, Apr 21, 2009

  3. Hello,

    Your video card needs to support this resolution as 1360 x 768 is not a
    standard desktop resolution, although it is well used for HD Ready LCD TVs.

    If drivers fail, you may be able to use Powerstrip to achieve the
    resolution - http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ps.htm

    _________
    http://www.tompangbuddy.com
    Share Cab, Carpool and Save Earth in Singapore
    Video Conversion Service VHS Video8 Hi8 miniDv Digital8 VHS-C S-VHS tapes to
    VCD/DVD

    TompangBuddy.Com, Apr 21, 2009
  4. zulu wrote:

    > I am using XP Pro and can't find the 1360 x 768 option.
    > 1024 x 768 on a widescreen isn't right!
    > Monitor is a 26 inch Samsung LCD TV.

    This should help:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows xp change resolution

    Have you installed the drivers from the CD that came with the monitor?
    Did you really mean "television?"

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 21, 2009
  5. zulu

    zulu Guest

    > zulu wrote:
    >
    >> I am using XP Pro and can't find the 1360 x 768 option.
    >> 1024 x 768 on a widescreen isn't right!
    >> Monitor is a 26 inch Samsung LCD TV.

    > This should help:
    > http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows xp change resolution

    That was neat!
    (The trick with Google, I mean!)

    I'll have a read in a short while...

    > Have you installed the drivers from the CD that came with the monitor?

    There wasn't one...

    > Did you really mean "television?"

    Most certainly..

    I am nearly blind, so need to watch TV from less than 2 ft, otherwise it is
    too blurred (instead of just blurry!)
    Using a TV as a monitor as well as a TV makes a lot of sense for _me_.

    --

    ¦zulu¦ VIP

    zulu, Apr 21, 2009
  6. zulu

    zulu Guest

    I'll look for a driver updatefirst, but if that fails, I'll try yuor link...

    TYVM

    zulu, Apr 21, 2009
  7. zulu wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> zulu wrote:
    >>> I am using XP Pro and can't find the 1360 x 768 option.
    >>> 1024 x 768 on a widescreen isn't right!
    >>> Monitor is a 26 inch Samsung LCD TV.

    >> This should help:
    >> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows xp change resolution

    > That was neat!
    > (The trick with Google, I mean!)

    It's become a popular site... ;-)

    >> Did you really mean "television?"

    > Most certainly..
    >
    > I am nearly blind, so need to watch TV from less than 2 ft, otherwise
    > it is too blurred (instead of just blurry!) Using a TV as a monitor
    > as well as a TV makes a lot of sense for _me_.

    Oh, sorry about that. Then you might want to investigate setting font
    sizing and other stuff - perhaps using a high-contrast theme as well.
    These should also be found in the Properties section.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 21, 2009
  8. zulu

    zulu Guest

    "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > zulu wrote:
    >
    >> I am using XP Pro and can't find the 1360 x 768 option.
    >> 1024 x 768 on a widescreen isn't right!
    >> Monitor is a 26 inch Samsung LCD TV.
    >>

    > What is your video card and do you have the latest proper driver for it?

    Ah
    Video Card..... <light bulb>
    I thought the only way to change the settings was via Desktop Properties
    (doh!)

    I can't immediately think how to find out exactly which nVidia card it is
    <senior brainfade> , however....
    I have found an icon in the sytem tray that gives me lots of options and I
    have just reset to 1280 x 768 which is better, except that the whole screen
    now needs nudging a 1/4 inch to the right... (If I can find out how!!)

    BTW, please don't think me stupid, ('cos I'm not!) I am nearly blind, so
    things can be awful hard to find sometimes!

    --

    ¦zulu¦ VIP

    zulu, Apr 21, 2009
  9. zulu

    zulu Guest

    > zulu wrote:

    >>> This should help:
    >>> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows xp change resolution

    >> That was neat!
    >> (The trick with Google, I mean!)

    > It's become a popular site... ;-)
    >
    >>> Did you really mean "television?"

    >> Most certainly..
    >>
    >> I am nearly blind, so need to watch TV from less than 2 ft, otherwise
    >> it is too blurred (instead of just blurry!) Using a TV as a monitor
    >> as well as a TV makes a lot of sense for _me_.

    > Oh, sorry about that.

    No probs. :)

    Then you might want to investigate setting font
    > sizing and other stuff - perhaps using a high-contrast theme as well.
    > These should also be found in the Properties section.

    Yep, thanks, I have changed a few things there to great advantage.

    --

    ¦zulu¦ VIP

    zulu, Apr 21, 2009
  10. zulu

    chuckcar Guest

    "zulu" <> wrote in

    > I am nearly blind, so need to watch TV from less than 2 ft, otherwise it
    > is too blurred (instead of just blurry!)
    > Using a TV as a monitor as well as a TV makes a lot of sense for _me_.

    You should alo go through the accessability options in the windows XP part
    of add/remove programs. That's what it's for, despite the somewhat vague
    name.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Apr 21, 2009
  11. zulu

    Guest

    zulu wrote:
    > I'll look for a driver updatefirst, but if that fails, I'll try yuor link...

    I've gotten some pretty hard to find driver updates from windows
    update, I'd do that off anyway

    , Apr 22, 2009
  12. zulu

    zulu Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "zulu" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I am nearly blind, so need to watch TV from less than 2 ft, otherwise it
    >> is too blurred (instead of just blurry!)
    >> Using a TV as a monitor as well as a TV makes a lot of sense for _me_.
    >>

    > You should alo go through the accessability options in the windows XP part
    > of add/remove programs. That's what it's for, despite the somewhat vague
    > name.

    In typical Microsoft fashion, there appears to be no way [1] to increase the
    font size used for that pane!.
    I can't even read it with a 6 x magnifying glass! Anything morte powerful
    (screen magnifier) and the font gets so pixellated I _still_ can't read
    it...
    This is the same with many many thngs, any *Properties* for example.

    [1] I know I can increase to 120 DPI or more but this nadgers up other
    things, so I gave up om that!

    Anyway....
    Thanks to all who contributed t this :)
    I have now managed to set my resolution to 1280 x 768 which has made a huge
    improvement.

    Cheers

    --

    ¦zulu¦ VIP

    zulu, Apr 22, 2009
  13. zulu

    lugnut Guest

    On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 19:13:33 +0100, "zulu"
    <> wrote:

    >"chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "zulu" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I am nearly blind, so need to watch TV from less than 2 ft, otherwise it
    >>> is too blurred (instead of just blurry!)
    >>> Using a TV as a monitor as well as a TV makes a lot of sense for _me_.
    >>>

    >> You should alo go through the accessability options in the windows XP part
    >> of add/remove programs. That's what it's for, despite the somewhat vague
    >> name.
    >>

    >In typical Microsoft fashion, there appears to be no way [1] to increase the
    >font size used for that pane!.
    >I can't even read it with a 6 x magnifying glass! Anything morte powerful
    >(screen magnifier) and the font gets so pixellated I _still_ can't read
    >it...
    >This is the same with many many thngs, any *Properties* for example.
    >
    >[1] I know I can increase to 120 DPI or more but this nadgers up other
    >things, so I gave up om that!
    >

    >Anyway....
    >Thanks to all who contributed t this :)
    >I have now managed to set my resolution to 1280 x 768 which has made a huge
    >improvement.
    >
    >Cheers

    I am far from expert on this, but, have you enabled the MS
    Clear Type feature. I think it is intended to improve the
    appearance of LCD flat panels and it seems to greatly
    improve mine which is several magnatudes smaller than
    yours. I don't recall the easy way to enable it but, I used
    the MS TweakUI powertoy IIRC.

    My nVidia video card has a setting for 1360x768 which is a
    step below where I have mine set. It also includes a
    control panel for several graphics and TV functions. You
    can also adjust the image for performance or quality in this
    panel.

    Lugnut

    lugnut, Apr 22, 2009
  14. zulu

    zulu Guest

    "lugnut" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 19:13:33 +0100, "zulu"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >>> "zulu" <> wrote in

    >>> You should alo go through the accessability options in the windows XP
    >>> part
    >>> of add/remove programs. That's what it's for, despite the somewhat vague
    >>> name.
    >>>

    >>In typical Microsoft fashion, there appears to be no way [1] to increase
    >>the
    >>font size used for that pane!.
    >>I can't even read it with a 6 x magnifying glass! Anything morte powerful
    >>(screen magnifier) and the font gets so pixellated I _still_ can't read
    >>it...
    >>This is the same with many many thngs, any *Properties* for example.
    >>
    >>[1] I know I can increase to 120 DPI or more but this nadgers up other
    >>things, so I gave up om that!
    >>

    >>Anyway....
    >>Thanks to all who contributed t this :)
    >>I have now managed to set my resolution to 1280 x 768 which has made a
    >>huge
    >>improvement.
    >>
    >>Cheers

    > I am far from expert on this, but, have you enabled the MS
    > Clear Type feature. I think it is intended to improve the
    > appearance of LCD flat panels and it seems to greatly
    > improve mine which is several magnatudes smaller than
    > yours. I don't recall the easy way to enable it but, I used
    > the MS TweakUI powertoy IIRC.

    Hi...
    Yes, I do use *Clear Type*, but thanks for the suggestion!

    > My nVidia video card has a setting for 1360x768 which is a
    > step below where I have mine set. It also includes a
    > control panel for several graphics and TV functions. You
    > can also adjust the image for performance or quality in this
    > panel.

    Yep, I finally bit the bullet and updated my NVIDIA drivers and am now using
    1360 ox 768
    All in all its better than 1024 ox 768 stretched to widescreen (via the TV
    remote...)
    Interestingly the Desktop properties also has the option for 1360 ox 768
    now!!
    I had to increase what font sizes I could in Desktop > Properties >
    Appearance > Advanced another notch.
    It has unfortunately made the basic system font that is used for the
    Options Tabs etc. even smaller than they were, which is a real PITA, but
    there seems to be no way of changing that font apart from increasing the DPI
    which has a negative effect on many applications..

    Why on earth is there no way of saying "The minimum font size to be used
    _anywhere_ on this computer is (say) 16"

    (Is anybody from MS reading this?) <hint>

    --

    ¦zulu¦ VIP

    zulu, Apr 25, 2009
  15. zulu

    Mike Easter Guest

    zulu wrote:
    > I am using XP Pro and can't find the 1360 x 768 option.
    > 1024 x 768 on a widescreen isn't right!
    > Monitor is a 26 inch Samsung LCD TV.

    I cannot imagine a 26" Samsung LCD monitor (or TV) having an optimal
    native resolution of 1360x768.

    According to the .uk Samsung support section manual for the only 26" LCD
    monitor they list/ I find there, the SM2693HM has an optimal resolution at
    1920x1200 at 60hz. It is of course capable of numerous other rez such as
    VESA 650x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864, and 1280x980.

    http://snipr.com/grnxw SM2693HM support links

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 26, 2009
  16. zulu

    Mike Easter Guest

    DjVu files was Re: How do I set my <snip>

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > According to the .uk Samsung support section manual

    > http://snipr.com/grnxw SM2693HM support links

    Speaking of the Samsung support docs, I just discovered yet another gap in
    my knowledge. Until today and my encounter with it in the samsung support
    section, I didn't know anything about the file format DjVu.

    Samsung refers its clients to celartem's tools to handle their files (they
    also provide .pdf/s), but there is a lot more useful information other
    places such as the wiki and a 'generic' website http://djvu.org/

    The website has resources and links to tools. One might quickly conclude
    that it is superior to .pdf and encourage friends and associates to use
    that format for the items which might have otherwise been exchanged via
    ..pdf.

    There's also a free pdf2djvu GUI win32 tool.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 26, 2009
  17. zulu

    zulu Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > zulu wrote:
    >> I am using XP Pro and can't find the 1360 x 768 option.
    >> 1024 x 768 on a widescreen isn't right!
    >> Monitor is a 26 inch Samsung LCD TV.

    > I cannot imagine a 26" Samsung LCD monitor (or TV) having an optimal
    > native resolution of 1360x768.
    >
    > According to the .uk Samsung support section manual for the only 26" LCD
    > monitor they list/ I find there, the SM2693HM has an optimal resolution at
    > 1920x1200 at 60hz. It is of course capable of numerous other rez such as
    > VESA 650x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864, and 1280x980.
    >
    > http://snipr.com/grnxw SM2693HM support links

    Copied and pasted from my manual: SAMSUNG LE26R73BD TV.pdf

    Navigate to the "Settings" tab on the display dialog-box. The correct size
    setting (resolution): Optimum1360 X 768 If a vertical-frequency option
    exists on your display settings dialog box, the correct value is "60" or "60
    Hz". Otherwise, just click "OK" and exit the dialog

    You know better? <g>

    --

    ¦zulu¦ VIP

    zulu, Apr 26, 2009
  18. zulu

    Mike Easter Guest

    zulu wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> zulu wrote:
    >>> I am using XP Pro and can't find the 1360 x 768 option.
    >>> 1024 x 768 on a widescreen isn't right!
    >>> Monitor is a 26 inch Samsung LCD TV.

    >> I cannot imagine a 26" Samsung LCD monitor (or TV) having an optimal
    >> native resolution of 1360x768.

    > Copied and pasted from my manual: SAMSUNG LE26R73BD TV.pdf
    >
    > Navigate to the "Settings" tab on the display dialog-box. The correct
    > size setting (resolution): Optimum1360 X 768 If a vertical-frequency
    > option exists on your display settings dialog box, the correct value is
    > "60" or "60 Hz". Otherwise, just click "OK" and exit the dialog
    >
    > You know better? <g>

    I sit corrected.

    Interesting. You are using a 26" LCD TV as a computer monitor.

    Its inputs are HDMI and its connection illustrations in its manual
    http://snipr.com/gs4tv LE26R73BD User Manual .pdf

    .... show an input labeled 'PC' which looks like/ is/ (also) a standard VGA
    adapter.

    The TV (monitor) also has a useful teletext feature/mode which would be
    useful to the visually impaired.

    That is quite a different bird than the monitor I was looking at.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 26, 2009
  19. zulu

    Guest

    "zulu" <> wrote:

    I typed this a few days ago, just never sent it.

    >I had to increase what font sizes I could in Desktop > Properties >
    >Appearance > Advanced another notch.
    >It has unfortunately made the basic system font that is used for the
    >Options Tabs etc. even smaller than they were, which is a real PITA, but
    >there seems to be no way of changing that font apart from increasing the DPI
    >which has a negative effect on many applications..
    >
    >Why on earth is there no way of saying "The minimum font size to be used
    >_anywhere_ on this computer is (say) 16"

    You were close.
    Desktop > Properties > Settings > Advanced > General
    to set the DPI setting

    I have mine set to Large size (120DPI), there is also a custom
    setting.

    "Desktop > Properties > Appearance > Advanced"

    Is where you would go if you want to change particular text items,
    menu bar, Icon size... that's where I set most of my fonts to bold.

    --

    A website had 26 pages you had to go thru (for the ads), this is one picture of
    the English alphabet from GoogleEarth :)

    , Apr 27, 2009