    newsreader. I don't know the official name of the forum for NNTP though -- I
    can't find anywhere obvious where MS lists it.

    ??Anyone know??

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aXNpb24=?=, Jun 27, 2005

  2. Open Outlook Express, click Tools > Accounts > News (tab) > Add > News >
    press next > next, your news (NNTP) Server is "msnews.microsoft.com" > press
    next > then "Finish", a dialogue will now pop up asking your to download a
    list of newsgroups, the one you want to go to is,
    microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 27, 2005

  3. Thank you.

    I see now that I couldn't find the forum because my newsgroup list needed a
    good 'refreshing.'.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aXNpb24=?=, Jun 27, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aXNpb24=?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Or just click here:

    Unless blocked by something like a corporate firewall, that one click should
    do all that Andre listed - except download the list of newsgroups - and
    bring you right back here, but using OE rather than the web-based interface.

    Later, you can use OE's Tools | Options... to customize OE to suit yourself.

    Generally speaking, newbies asking questions prefer using the web.
    Experienced users usually prefer OE or some other newsreader.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jun 27, 2005
  5. R. C. White wrote:

    > Generally speaking, newbies asking questions prefer using the web.
    > Experienced users usually prefer OE or some other newsreader.

    Hear, hear :)

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jun 28, 2005
  6. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 28, 2005
  7. Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:

    > I use OE because I'm on dialup.

    I prefer Xnews but would probably use OE too, if I had a dialup
    connection. I use OE (and Outlook 2003) for mails though.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jun 28, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aXNpb24=?=

    The Primate Guest

    "R. C. White" <> wrote in message
    > Or just click here:
    >
    > Unless blocked by something like a corporate firewall, that one click
    > should do all that Andre listed - except download the list of newsgroups -
    > and bring you right back here, but using OE rather than the web-based
    > interface.
    >
    > Later, you can use OE's Tools | Options... to customize OE to suit
    > yourself.
    >
    > Generally speaking, newbies asking questions prefer using the web.
    > Experienced users usually prefer OE or some other newsreader.
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    >
    > Microsoft Windows MVP

    I've used a newsreader for probably 10yrs or so but must admit the web-based
    interface is not too bad nowadays. Needless to say I was disappointed when
    Creative Labs dropped their NG based forums.

    <snip>

    The Primate, Jun 28, 2005
  9. Yeah, it would be nice to have Newsgroup support in Outlook 2003, so I can
    use it for mail, newsgroup and PIM.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 28, 2005
  10. The web based is just too slow on dial-up and not easy to navigate.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 28, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aXNpb24=?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Andre.

    It's slow on broadband, too!

    The slowdown is not in the transmission over the wires, but in the internal
    processing at the Microsoft end.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jun 28, 2005
  12. All the more reason not to use it.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 28, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aXNpb24=?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:53:07 -0500, "R. C. White" <>
    wrote:

    >It's slow on broadband, too!
    >
    >The slowdown is not in the transmission over the wires, but in the internal
    >processing at the Microsoft end.

    Try your own provider. Some carry a mirror.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jun 29, 2005