    shouldn't be doing. Can anyone please help me with a step by step idiots
    guide that will help me protect my connection?
    Many thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fycmll?=, Aug 11, 2007

  2. "Carrie" wrote:

    > Just set up a wireless connection and want to security enable it. I'm
    > running Windows XP with a Belkin router, and despite reading numerous
    > help-forums and articles I can't fathom out what exactly I should or
    > shouldn't be doing. Can anyone please help me with a step by step idiots
    > guide that will help me protect my connection?
    > Many thanks

    = Do you use WEP or WPA encryption method for this Wireless?.
    If you don't, I advise you to implement an encryption method to secure your
    connection, preferably WPA more secure than WEP.
    Wireless by Barb Bowman:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/bowman_wirelesssecurity.mspx
    Set up a wireless network
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/wireless.mspx

    Try to access your Router configuration page by doing this:
    Leave all other steps and click on Security Tab and see the Steps Hashed
    below in this set up procedure.

    Here are steps see your settings, it will be different according to your
    Location (country & ISP):
    By typing the IP: 192.168.0.1 click [OK] or Hit Enter;
    You will get Login into the router:
    Before you can change any settings, you need to log in with a password. if
    you have not yet....
    Password> [ usually blank ]
    Default = Leave blank

    [ Clear ] [Submit ]

    Set up wizard:
    Wizard > 1. Connection Type
    The following information are provided by your ISP.
    ( ) PPPOE
    ( ) PPPOA
    ( ) Disable

    Select the appropriate one and click
    [ Next ]
    -------
    Wizard > 2.Parameter Setting
    The following Info are usually provided by your ISP.
    > User name: [ ]
    > Password: [ ]
    > Retype: [ ]
    >VPI/VCI: [ ] / [ ]

    Click Apply and you will get Configuration Parameters recheck them and click
    Apply to apply.

    --------
    On the Router Home page click on the following to make changes:
    LAN Settings
    IP Address > [192]. [168].[0].[1]
    More Info
    ______________________________
    Subnet Mask > 255.255.255.0
    _____________________________
    DHCP server > (*) ON ( ) OFF <= your DHCP server

    IP Pool starting Address> [192].[168].[0].[2]
    IP Pool Ending Address > [192].[168].[0].[100]

    ________
    Lease leave as is
    ___________
    Domain [ NetGearHome ]

    Click on Internet WAN, then on Connection Type:
    WAN > Connection Type
    Select your connection type:
    ( ) PPPoE
    ( ) PPPoA
    ( ) Disable IS (Bridge mode.....)
    ( ) Multiple Protocol Over
    Make your selection and click Next.

    WAN > Connection Type> Whichever your selection was

    User Name>
    Password>
    Retype>
    IP assigned by ISP> [Yes â–¼]
    IP Address> 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask> 0.0.0.0
    VPI/VCI [ 0]/ [ ] these according to your location and your ISP
    Encapsulation> [ LLC â–¼]
    Dial On Demand [ √ ]
    Idle Time (minute)> [0] or leave Blank

    Click Apply changes
    -----------------------
    WAN > DNS

    [√] Automatic from ISP

    DNS address > [0].[0].[0].[0]
    Secondary DNS Address> [0].[0].[0].[0]

    Click Apply changes
    ---------------------------
    Wireless Option:
    Wireless > Channel and SSID
    To make changes to the wireless............................................
    changes to save the settings

    Wireless Channel> [6 â–¼]
    SSID > [type your Network name give a unique name] write
    this down on a piece of paper instated of the default one like belkin54g.
    ESSID Broadcast ( ) Enable (*) Disable select the disable Radio
    button
    Wireless Mode > [ (11b + 11g) â–¼]
    Transmission Rate> [Automatic â–¼]
    g Nitro> ( ) Enable ( ) Disable

    The above step is the most sensitive you need to set it Right to get your
    Network secure from your neighbourhood and from the Internet (WWW)

    ***Here where you need to implement a security method *******
    Wireless > Security > WPA
    WPA > [ WPA-PSK (no server) â–¼]
    Encryption technique TKIP
    Pre-shared Key (PSK) [ Type a memorable sentence you only can guess ]

    [√ ] obscure PSK check this to Hash your Password.
    Click Apply changes.
    -----------------
    Click Firewall;
    Firewall>
    blah............................blah.................................................
    Firewall Enable / Disable (*) Enable ( ) Disable
    Click Apply Changes
    ********** End ********* ************************
    Now you are done.
    With CD there is a PDF doc for setting up you can read this.
    HTH.
    nass
    -----
    www.nasstec.co.uk

    =?Utf-8?B?bmFzcw==?=, Aug 11, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fycmll?=

    brush-head Guest

    Carrie wrote:
    > Just set up a wireless connection and want to security enable it. I'm
    > running Windows XP with a Belkin router, and despite reading numerous
    > help-forums and articles I can't fathom out what exactly I should or
    > shouldn't be doing. Can anyone please help me with a step by step idiots
    > guide that will help me protect my connection?
    > Many thanks

    Depends what the router is and whether you want to use WEP or WAP
    (preferred if available). If the router is fairly recent (past 2 years
    or so) you should be able to download the pdf user guide from the belkin
    site.
    Things to consider; use MAC filtering to provide the router with a list
    of the mac addresses of the cards that you only wish to gain access to
    the router; use WEP if nothing else available - WAP is better and if
    using WAP I think you have to download an XP driver to exploit it - but
    not sure as I've only used WAP briefly (3-4 hours!).
    Good Luck.

    brush-head, Aug 11, 2007
  4. Hi
    Each device has it own set of menus and security entries. Thus step by step
    instruction are not possible unless some one happened to have the exact same
    devices (and we do not even know what is exactly that you have there).
    So you would have to do infer from the general principles.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
    WEP128___(Hard, but possible to Brake).