    but scandisk is not present in the directory. Searching through the
    harddrive turns up nothing on scandisk. Will someone point me in the right
    direction? Thanks.
    j, Feb 9, 2007

  2. j

    Pen Guest

    j wrote:
    > I just switched over to Windows XP from 98 and I can't find Scandisk. I went
    > into accessories/system tools/... and saw the usual disk defragmenter, etc.,
    > but scandisk is not present in the directory. Searching through the
    > harddrive turns up nothing on scandisk. Will someone point me in the right
    > direction? Thanks.

    It's not there. chkdsk is there. Use the help item from the start menu
    for info.
    Pen, Feb 9, 2007

  3. j

    Andy Guest

    "Pen" <> wrote in message
    >j wrote:
    >> I just switched over to Windows XP from 98 and I can't find Scandisk. I
    >> went
    >> into accessories/system tools/... and saw the usual disk defragmenter,
    >> etc.,
    >> but scandisk is not present in the directory. Searching through the
    >> harddrive turns up nothing on scandisk. Will someone point me in the
    >> right
    >> direction? Thanks.
    >>

    > It's not there. chkdsk is there. Use the help item from the start menu for
    > info.

    I think sfc /scannow does the job too.
    Andy, Feb 9, 2007
  4. copied from the help section on xp

    Detecting and repairing disk errors
    You can use the Error-checking tool to check for file system errors and bad
    sectors on your hard disk.

    1.. Open My Computer, and then select the local disk you want to check.
    2.. On the File menu, click Properties.
    3.. On the Tools tab, under Error-checking, click Check Now.
    4.. Under Check disk options, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of
    bad sectors check box.
    Notes

    a.. To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.
    b.. All files must be closed for this process to run. If the volume is
    currently in use, a message box will appear prompting you to indicate
    whether or not you want to reschedule the disk checking for the next time
    you restart your system. Then, the next time you restart your system, disk
    checking will run. Your volume will not be available to perform other tasks
    while this process is running.
    c.. If your volume is formatted as NTFS, Windows automatically logs all
    file transactions, replaces bad clusters, and stores copies of key
    information for all files on the NTFS volume.
    d.. For more information, click Related Topics.
    Related Topics

    MELANIE MCDONALD, Feb 9, 2007
  5. j

    Ernie Guest

    open My Computer

    right click on the hard drive and select properties

    select the Tools tab

    under "Error Checking" (ScanDisk) click the [Check Now] button

    Ernie, Feb 10, 2007