    --
    To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email address.

    , Feb 19, 2004

  2. Rupert Guest

    go to www.bootdisk.com and download a boot disk image - then boot your pc
    off that or try http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/

    Rupert, Feb 19, 2004

  3. mario Guest

    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    mario

    mario, Feb 19, 2004
  4. Dave Taylor Guest

    wrote in

    > Hi all
    >
    > I need to update some firmware on my Windows XP PC but I need to get
    > to real DOS, not DOS in a window, to run the software update
    > programme. How can I best do this.
    >
    > Thanks

    Use this boot disk image.
    Link came from www.bootdisk.com
    http://www.abitfaq.it/Files/drdflash.exe

    XP does not let you boot to dos and in some cases the "Create MSDOS Boot
    floppy" command does not let you use that disk for flashing, it is often
    too full to hold the flash exe and rom image so I would not bother. You
    can try it though. Right click on the A: drive and select Format.
    Select make bootable disk or similar command. I dont have a floppy drive
    so I can't tell you the exact wording. I would use the DRdos disk in the
    URL above.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 19, 2004
  5. In article <>, wrote:
    >Hi all
    >
    >I need to update some firmware on my Windows XP PC but I need to get
    >to real DOS, not DOS in a window, to run the software update
    >programme. How can I best do this.

    Can't you start the computer in dos mode ? I thought that was an
    option (but might be an earlier version ??).

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 19, 2004
  6. Guest

    Thanks guys for your help. I now have a workable solution.

  7. Gurble Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 04:54:59 GMT,
    z (Bruce Sinclair) had this
    to say:

    >In article <>, wrote:
    >>Hi all
    >>
    >>I need to update some firmware on my Windows XP PC but I need to get
    >>to real DOS, not DOS in a window, to run the software update
    >>programme. How can I best do this.

    >Can't you start the computer in dos mode ? I thought that was an
    >option (but might be an earlier version ??).

    Not with Windows XP - the Command Line is just an emulator, rather
    than the real thing.

    Gurble, Feb 19, 2004
  8. Dave Guest

    Gurble <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 04:54:59 GMT,
    > z (Bruce Sinclair) had this
    > to say:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> wrote:
    >>>Hi all
    >>>
    >>>I need to update some firmware on my Windows XP PC but I need to get
    >>>to real DOS, not DOS in a window, to run the software update
    >>>programme. How can I best do this.

    >>Can't you start the computer in dos mode ? I thought that was an
    >>option (but might be an earlier version ??).
    >>

    > Not with Windows XP - the Command Line is just an emulator, rather
    > than the real thing.

    ummmm - this has got me wondering, What *is* a command line and how is
    something that "emulates one" by giving you an interface in which you type
    somehow less "real" than the ... well ... REAL one

    btw - the NT family use cmd (command prompt) which is actually a different
    shell to dos (command.exe).

    I think what you need is the recovery console - boot from CD and read
    screens carefully

    Dave

    Dave, Feb 19, 2004
  9. Mainlander Guest

    In article <Xns9495766D133FCdavebtekotagoacnz@10.1.0.3>,
    says...
    > Gurble <> wrote in
    >
    > > On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 04:54:59 GMT,
    > > z (Bruce Sinclair) had this
    > > to say:

    > >>Can't you start the computer in dos mode ? I thought that was an
    > >>option (but might be an earlier version ??).
    > >>

    > > Not with Windows XP - the Command Line is just an emulator, rather
    > > than the real thing.

    > ummmm - this has got me wondering, What *is* a command line and how is
    > something that "emulates one" by giving you an interface in which you type
    > somehow less "real" than the ... well ... REAL one

    In previous versions of Windows you were loading Command.com in real mode
    rather than protected mode, with the input/output in a console text
    format i.e. 80x25 or whatever number of lines.

    Commands were processed by the command shell command.com.

    Obviously with XP they have decided to dispense with command.com

    Mainlander, Feb 21, 2004
  10. Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 01:22:13 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.nz> wrote:

    >In article <Xns9495766D133FCdavebtekotagoacnz@10.1.0.3>,
    > says...
    >> Gurble <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 04:54:59 GMT,
    >> > z (Bruce Sinclair) had this
    >> > to say:

    >> > Not with Windows XP - the Command Line is just an emulator, rather
    >> > than the real thing.

    >> ummmm - this has got me wondering, What *is* a command line and how is
    >> something that "emulates one" by giving you an interface in which you type
    >> somehow less "real" than the ... well ... REAL one

    >In previous versions of Windows you were loading Command.com in real mode
    >rather than protected mode, with the input/output in a console text
    >format i.e. 80x25 or whatever number of lines.
    >
    >Commands were processed by the command shell command.com.
    >
    >Obviously with XP they have decided to dispense with command.com

    It's still there. However it only works in 8.3 mode (I think). The
    correct program is cmd.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 21, 2004