    connection. I'd like to limit internet access to a single government
    site. Is it possible to do that with the present configuration? I do
    not want to add a firewall.

    JustMe, Jun 10, 2005

  2. JustMe

    Duane Arnold Guest

    JustMe wrote:

    > Running WinXP sp2 with IE6 and no software firewall. Dial UP
    > connection. I'd like to limit internet access to a single government
    > site. Is it possible to do that with the present configuration? I do
    > not want to add a firewall.

    You can be attacked just as easily and quickly with a dial-up connection as
    anyother type of connection, espacilly if you're running on the Internet
    with Admin rights and have not or don't know how to *harden* the O/S to
    attack. I do hope you have something in place or have done something to
    protect the O/S.

    However, you may be able to do it with IPsec where you stop all Http traffic
    outbound from levaing the machine with an IP filtering rule and then you
    set another Ipsec rule to allow outbound to the specified IP.

    It may or may not work for you, but you can try.

    http://www.petri.co.il/block_web_browsing_with_ipsec.htm

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 10, 2005

  3. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > JustMe wrote:
    >
    > > Running WinXP sp2 with IE6 and no software firewall. Dial UP
    > > connection. I'd like to limit internet access to a single government
    > > site. Is it possible to do that with the present configuration? I do
    > > not want to add a firewall.

    > You can be attacked just as easily and quickly with a dial-up connection as
    > anyother type of connection, espacilly if you're running on the Internet
    > with Admin rights and have not or don't know how to *harden* the O/S to
    > attack. I do hope you have something in place or have done something to
    > protect the O/S.
    >
    > However, you may be able to do it with IPsec where you stop all Http traffic
    > outbound from levaing the machine with an IP filtering rule and then you
    > set another Ipsec rule to allow outbound to the specified IP.
    >
    > It may or may not work for you, but you can try.
    >
    > http://www.petri.co.il/block_web_browsing_with_ipsec.htm
    >
    > Duane :)

    I figgured I'd get hammered about the firewall but it's relatively
    unimportant. It's an old machine with minimum resources. I just need
    someone to lookup some info from time to time. The system is stand
    alone and contains no personally identifiable info. I can rebuild it
    twice daily and 3 times on Sunday. In this case a firewall would just
    get in the way. I just want to make sure the individual using it can't
    use it to screw around with and fritter the day away.

    JustMe, Jun 10, 2005