    existing operating system. If that is the case, how can do the repair
    process to synch my existing hard drive to my new motherboard. Thanks for
    the help.

    newsguy67, Nov 22, 2004

  2. newsguy67

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "newsguy67" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    |I have Windows XP Professional on my machine. I just got it back from the
    | repair shop and they had to install a new motherboard. The tech guy told
    me
    | to repair windows. So I put my Windows XP Professional in my drive to
    | repair. It didn't read the cd-rom. I have a suspicious feeling that the
    | Windows XP Professional cd I have is not a bootable rom.

    If the CD is made by Microsoft (holograms, all that), then it is bootable.

    | I can't be sure but I think I installed Windows XP Professional on top of
    an
    | existing operating system. If that is the case, how can do the repair
    | process to synch my existing hard drive to my new motherboard. Thanks for
    | the help.

    Your repair shop is worthless. That should have been done by them.

    My first guess is they didn't set up the CMOS in the new motherboard to boot
    from a CD. When the computer is first started, and doing the POST (memory
    test, drive check, etc.) it should display a message telling you how to go
    into setup (Press F1 to enter setup, Press DEL to enter setup, something
    like that.) Go into the setup for the motherboard and look for the boot
    drive order. I usually set it to 1) floppy drive, 2) CD-ROM, 3) 1st IDE
    drive. Then save, exit, and it should boot from your CD-ROM.

    One problem I've had in the past may occur - the Windows Activation may be
    rendered invalid by replacing a motherboard. If that happens, you might not
    be able to boot and re-activate normally. In that case, you might have to
    call Microsoft during the activation process. The reason this happens, is
    when XP is "de-activated" it shows that Windows was installed months or
    years ago, well past the 30 day allowable activation period. So Windows will
    do *nothing* until it's activated. But your Internet connection may not be
    fully set up (especially with motherboards using on-board modem or NIC,
    since those parts aren't working yet) and so it can't be activated
    automatically.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 22, 2004

  3. newsguy67

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "newsguy67" <> wrote in

    > I have Windows XP Professional on my machine. I just got it back from
    > the repair shop and they had to install a new motherboard. The tech
    > guy told me to repair windows. So I put my Windows XP Professional in
    > my drive to repair. It didn't read the cd-rom. I have a suspicious
    > feeling that the Windows XP Professional cd I have is not a bootable
    > rom.

    The install CD should be a bootable CD. You must tell the BIOS on the
    computer to boot from the CD in the boot sequence first and then it will
    boot from the CD. The BIOS setup is that part in the machine boot process
    that tells you to Press F1 or F2 or some other key to enter the the BIOS
    setup.

    > I can't be sure but I think I installed Windows XP Professional on top
    > of an existing operating system. If that is the case, how can do the
    > repair process to synch my existing hard drive to my new motherboard.
    > Thanks for the help.

    You should be able to do the same thing if need be and install XP over the
    top of itself and it will install the O/S but it will not destroy what you
    already have installed and working on the machine for programs that were
    installed. You will have to install any SP for XP and the hot fixes as they
    will be lost.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 22, 2004
  4. newsguy67 wrote:
    > I have Windows XP Professional on my machine. I just got it back from the
    > repair shop and they had to install a new motherboard. The tech guy told me
    > to repair windows. So I put my Windows XP Professional in my drive to
    > repair. It didn't read the cd-rom. I have a suspicious feeling that the
    > Windows XP Professional cd I have is not a bootable rom.
    >
    > I can't be sure but I think I installed Windows XP Professional on top of an
    > existing operating system. If that is the case, how can do the repair
    > process to synch my existing hard drive to my new motherboard. Thanks for
    > the help.

    If this is a customized CD of Windows like Dell or Gateway provides, the
    process is different. But changing motherboards (if it's another brand
    or even another model) requires making a lot of changes to XP. Usually
    most of these can be done by installing the drivers that came with the
    motherboard, but the repair shop DEFINITELY should have done that for
    you. If what you have is a standard issue Windows XP Pro disk it is
    bootable. But I think I'd either load the machine back into the car and
    take it back to the shop or better yet, take it to a competent repair shop.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 22, 2004
  5. newsguy67

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    | newsguy67 wrote:
    | > I have Windows XP Professional on my machine. I just got it back from
    the
    | > repair shop and they had to install a new motherboard. The tech guy
    told me
    | > to repair windows. So I put my Windows XP Professional in my drive to
    | > repair. It didn't read the cd-rom. I have a suspicious feeling that
    the
    | > Windows XP Professional cd I have is not a bootable rom.
    | >
    | > I can't be sure but I think I installed Windows XP Professional on top
    of an
    | > existing operating system. If that is the case, how can do the repair
    | > process to synch my existing hard drive to my new motherboard. Thanks
    for
    | > the help.
    |
    | If this is a customized CD of Windows like Dell or Gateway provides, the
    | process is different. But changing motherboards (if it's another brand
    | or even another model) requires making a lot of changes to XP. Usually
    | most of these can be done by installing the drivers that came with the
    | motherboard, but the repair shop DEFINITELY should have done that for
    | you. If what you have is a standard issue Windows XP Pro disk it is
    | bootable. But I think I'd either load the machine back into the car and
    | take it back to the shop or better yet, take it to a competent repair
    shop.

    Now, Roger, tell us what you *really* think <grin>! But I concur...if I
    treated my customer like that, I'd feel like I was working for Dell...

    Toolman Tim, Nov 22, 2004
  6. newsguy67

    Duane Arnold Guest

    ..

    > | If this is a customized CD of Windows like Dell or Gateway provides, the
    > | process is different. But changing motherboards (if it's another brand
    > | or even another model) requires making a lot of changes to XP. Usually
    > | most of these can be done by installing the drivers that came with the
    > | motherboard, but the repair shop DEFINITELY should have done that for
    > | you. If what you have is a standard issue Windows XP Pro disk it is
    > | bootable. But I think I'd either load the machine back into the car and
    > | take it back to the shop or better yet, take it to a competent repair
    > shop.
    >
    > Now, Roger, tell us what you *really* think <grin>! But I concur...if I
    > treated my customer like that, I'd feel like I was working for Dell...

    Yes, once you think about that, it is a poor job that has been done. I think
    I too would be all over the repair company about returning the machine in
    working order. I have had to send my laptop in for repair and they wanted
    the user-id and psw an the original Compaq ME install CD in case they had
    to wipe the machine out, which I didn't care as long as the machine was
    working if ME and to be installed replacing XP or Win 2K at the time.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 22, 2004
  7. Get a new repair shop. "the tech guy" is a fraud.

    btb

    Bruce T. Berger, Nov 22, 2004
  8. newsguy67

    newsguy67 Guest

    Thanks for all the responses. The tech guy at the shop told me that he
    would do the installation for me provided I had a licensed version of the
    operating system. Unfortunately the version I have was given to me by a
    friend and I believe it's a cracked version.

    newsguy67, Nov 22, 2004
  9. "newsguy67" <> wrote in message
    >I have Windows XP Professional on my machine. I just got it back from the
    > repair shop and they had to install a new motherboard. The tech guy told
    > me
    > to repair windows. So I put my Windows XP Professional in my drive to
    > repair. It didn't read the cd-rom. I have a suspicious feeling that the
    > Windows XP Professional cd I have is not a bootable rom.

    If it's a legit Windows XP CD, it's bootable. If it's even a half decent rip
    off, it's bootable. Do you have your CD selected in BIOS as a boot device?

    Oxford Systems, Nov 22, 2004
  10. newsguy67

    newsguy67 Guest

    Yup...my CD-rom is my bootable device. The problem is that I have a ripped
    version of Windows XP Pro. It's a full installation but it won't boot up
    :( Now I have to install 95, then 98, then XP. I would buy XP pro but I
    believe it only allows you to install it on one machine. And I intend on
    getting a new machine next year so I don't want to buy it and install it now
    and then have to buy it again next year.

    newsguy67, Nov 22, 2004
  11. newsguy67

    Duane Arnold Guest

    newsguy67 wrote:

    > Yup...my CD-rom is my bootable device. The problem is that I have a
    > ripped
    > version of Windows XP Pro. It's a full installation but it won't boot up
    > :( Now I have to install 95, then 98, then XP. I would buy XP pro but I
    > believe it only allows you to install it on one machine. And I intend on
    > getting a new machine next year so I don't want to buy it and install it
    > now and then have to buy it again next year.

    Well, you had better get busy. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 22, 2004
  12. newsguy67

    Yddap Guest

    In news:,
    newsguy67 <> opined:
    > Yup...my CD-rom is my bootable device. The problem is that I have a
    > ripped version of Windows XP Pro. It's a full installation but it
    > won't boot up :( Now I have to install 95, then 98, then XP. I
    > would buy XP pro but I believe it only allows you to install it on
    > one machine. And I intend on getting a new machine next year so I
    > don't want to buy it and install it now and then have to buy it again
    > next year.
    >

    > "Oxford Systems" <> wrote in message
    >> "newsguy67" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have Windows XP Professional on my machine. I just got it back
    >>> from the repair shop and they had to install a new motherboard.
    >>> The tech guy told me
    >>> to repair windows. So I put my Windows XP Professional in my drive
    >>> to repair. It didn't read the cd-rom. I have a suspicious feeling
    >>> that the Windows XP Professional cd I have is not a bootable rom.

    >> If it's a legit Windows XP CD, it's bootable. If it's even a half
    >> decent rip off, it's bootable. Do you have your CD selected in BIOS
    >> as a boot device?

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994
    or
    www.bootdisk.com

    Make a 6 floppy bootdisk
    --

    Yddap
    Remove guts to reply

    Yddap, Nov 22, 2004
  13. newsguy67

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Oh, one other thing you may be able to use the Ultimate Boot CD with its
    utilities to wipe out the machine and would allow you I would think to
    install XP without having to use the series of Win 9 x O/S(s) installs to
    just install XP. You may want to burn a CD or have someone do it for you.

    http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 22, 2004
  14. newsguy67

    Jerry G. Guest

    You really must change your dealer!!! You should be shopping around for a
    new dealer as soon as you have the time. This is seriously bad way to handle
    customers. Once you find a new dealer, you should also give the old one
    notice, and why you changed.

    Run SFC from the command prompt. Follow the instructions. You will need the
    original installation CD for your operating system. You will need to
    re-register XP, because the CPU and or mother board are the main criteria
    for the computer's registration. I would believe that you will have to make
    a phone call to MS to get things going again with XP. Your dealer was too
    lazy to do this work for you, considering he wanted to only get paid, and
    get your machine out very fast.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Nov 22, 2004
  15. newsguy67

    Jerry G. Guest

    If you buy XP-Pro, and want to change machines, you should be able to do
    this with a phone call to MS XP support. You can tell them that you changed
    the mother board, and some other hardware. They should then allow you to
    make a new registration.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Nov 22, 2004
  16. newsguy67

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "newsguy67" <> wrote in message
    > Yup...my CD-rom is my bootable device. The problem is that I have a
    > ripped
    > version of Windows XP Pro. It's a full installation but it won't boot up
    > :( Now I have to install 95, then 98, then XP. I would buy XP pro but I
    > believe it only allows you to install it on one machine. And I intend on
    > getting a new machine next year so I don't want to buy it and install it
    > now
    > and then have to buy it again next year.

    doesn't matter if your XP is legit.
    you paid them to fix it, not to make it microsoft certified. (i doubt very
    much if their techs are MS certified).

    they already took your money. their hands are already dirty.
    besides, tell em you don't have the XP CD. (twas a 2nd hand PC - very
    common)

    if they are copyright conscious, they should have verified legitimacy before
    working on your PC.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Nov 22, 2004
  17. newsguy67

    George Guest

    I have mine set to boot from the cd first. On my old machine, if the
    windows disk was in the drive, it booted from the cd. On my new machine, I
    put the disk in the drive, and when the promp appears to boot from cd, I
    have to press the spacebar (hit any key.) I don't know why it passes up the
    cd but if I don't hit any key it doesn't see the winxp disk in the drive.
    Just my .02. . . .

    George, Nov 22, 2004
  18. I agree with the "worthless" part. I do this for my clients without
    extra charge....sheesh! PLUS give them free tech support for six
    months.

    "Toolman Tim" <> chiseled in stone,
    the following words news:t8eod.177$-
    media.com:

    @}-}-------Rosee, Nov 22, 2004
  19. newsguy67

    Toolman Tim Guest

    I'm about the same...hardware installation requires complete testing...if
    that isn't done, the job isn't finished. What if the board is defective?
    C'mon! Sending it back to the customer to set up and test? That's more than
    "worthless", but I felt like being polite...

    Toolman Tim, Nov 23, 2004
  20. newsguy67

    newsguy67 Guest

    Thanks yddap....I'll probably have to install windows on a clean drive.

    newsguy67, Nov 23, 2004