    predetermined list that I have now. Is there a way to do this? Do I
    need additional software? Thanks!

    , Aug 15, 2006

  2. Evan Platt Guest

    On 15 Aug 2006 10:37:46 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi, everyone. My situation is that I have a group of files that are
    >needing to be renamed. I have software now that will convert a batch of
    >file names, but it only allows me to modify parameters of what the new
    >file names will be. I am needing to rename a group of file names from a
    >predetermined list that I have now. Is there a way to do this? Do I
    >need additional software? Thanks!

    Can you give an example? ie all files that include bob need to have
    the 'bob' replaced with 'jim'?

    Evan Platt, Aug 15, 2006

  3. Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On 15 Aug 2006 10:37:46 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > >Hi, everyone. My situation is that I have a group of files that are
    > >needing to be renamed. I have software now that will convert a batch of
    > >file names, but it only allows me to modify parameters of what the new
    > >file names will be. I am needing to rename a group of file names from a
    > >predetermined list that I have now. Is there a way to do this? Do I
    > >need additional software? Thanks!

    > Can you give an example? ie all files that include bob need to have
    > the 'bob' replaced with 'jim'?

    Sure! Right now I have a group of files already in a directory:

    100184-923875
    100184-923274
    100184-923754

    I have a list (right now on MS Access) of the corresponding file names
    that these need to be changed to:

    C2-009-00-M0204
    C2-009-00-M2438
    C2-009-00-M3242

    Since these numbers do not go in sequence, and each number in the
    directory corresponds to one on the list, the only way I could do this
    is by renaming the files from a list that has been generated including
    the new numbers. If the could just be changed in sequence, I already
    have a program that would allow for me to do this, but they are needing
    to be changed according to the corresponding number on my list. I know
    it is kind of confusing. Please let me know if I can help you
    understand it more... Thanks!

    , Aug 15, 2006
  4. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi, everyone. My situation is that I have a group of files that are
    > needing to be renamed. I have software now that will convert a batch of

    http://www.bootdisk.com/utility.htm
    Bulk File Renamers

    Plato, Aug 15, 2006
  5. Rick Merrill Guest

    wrote:
    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >
    >>On 15 Aug 2006 10:37:46 -0700, wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi, everyone. My situation is that I have a group of files that are
    >>>needing to be renamed. I have software now that will convert a batch of
    >>>file names, but it only allows me to modify parameters of what the new
    >>>file names will be. I am needing to rename a group of file names from a
    >>>predetermined list that I have now. Is there a way to do this? Do I
    >>>need additional software? Thanks!

    >>Can you give an example? ie all files that include bob need to have
    >>the 'bob' replaced with 'jim'?

    > Sure! Right now I have a group of files already in a directory:
    >
    > 100184-923875
    > 100184-923274
    > 100184-923754
    >
    > I have a list (right now on MS Access) of the corresponding file names
    > that these need to be changed to:
    >
    > C2-009-00-M0204
    > C2-009-00-M2438
    > C2-009-00-M3242
    >
    > Since these numbers do not go in sequence, and each number in the
    > directory corresponds to one on the list, the only way I could do this
    > is by renaming the files from a list that has been generated including
    > the new numbers. If the could just be changed in sequence, I already
    > have a program that would allow for me to do this, but they are needing
    > to be changed according to the corresponding number on my list. I know
    > it is kind of confusing. Please let me know if I can help you
    > understand it more... Thanks!

    mmm, you could use Excel to create three columns
    ren 100184-923875 C2-009-00-M0204
    then extract as text only into a REN.BAT
    file and run that under DOS.

    Rick Merrill, Aug 15, 2006
  6. thanatoid Guest

    Rick Merrill <> wrote in

    > wrote:
    >> Evan Platt wrote:

    >>>Can you give an example? ie all files that include bob
    >>>need to have the 'bob' replaced with 'jim'?

    >> Sure! Right now I have a group of files already in a
    >> directory:
    >>
    >> 100184-923875
    >> 100184-923274
    >> 100184-923754
    >>
    >> I have a list (right now on MS Access) of the
    >> corresponding file names that these need to be changed to:
    >>
    >> C2-009-00-M0204
    >> C2-009-00-M2438
    >> C2-009-00-M3242
    >>
    >> Since these numbers do not go in sequence, and each number
    >> in the directory corresponds to one on the list, the only
    >> way I could do this is by renaming the files from a list
    >> that has been generated including the new numbers. If the
    >> could just be changed in sequence, I already have a
    >> program that would allow for me to do this, but they are
    >> needing to be changed according to the corresponding
    >> number on my list. I know it is kind of confusing.
    >> Please let me know if I can help you understand it more...
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > mmm, you could use Excel to create three columns
    > ren 100184-923875 C2-009-00-M0204
    > then extract as text only into a REN.BAT
    > file and run that under DOS.

    This is a very clever suggestion.

    I don't think ANY file rename utilities, including the one in
    Total Commander, will do what the OP wants. It's either one at a
    time, or what you suggested.

    thanatoid, Aug 15, 2006