    about doing this?

    --

    (Remove the BRA and PANTIES when replying)

    Harley, Aug 16, 2004

  2. Harley

    The Dude Guest

    Harley wrote:

    > Running XP Pro and want to completely remove MSN messenger. How would i go
    > about doing this?

    With no great ease tbh,it getting harder every OS/SP.
    Open messenger look to the options dialogue and tick-"don't open this
    app when windows starts."
    Make sure msgs is not checked in msconfig-then try add/remove programs
    from control panel.
    Then install Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird as mail client and web
    browser ;-)

    The Dude, Aug 16, 2004

  3. Harley

    The Dude Guest

    The Dude wrote:

    > Harley wrote:
    >
    >> Running XP Pro and want to completely remove MSN messenger. How would
    >> i go about doing this?

    Also-
    http://tinyurl.com/4bgsd

    HTH.

    The Dude, Aug 16, 2004
  4. Harley

    John Guest

    "Harley" <> wrote in message
    > Running XP Pro and want to completely remove MSN messenger. How would i

    go
    > about doing this?
    >

    > --
    >
    > (Remove the BRA and PANTIES when replying)

    I don't wear bra and panties so I reckon my reply will get through :)

    MSN messenger if installed can be uninstalled in the normal way. XP comes
    with an equivalent called Windows messenger. While the add remove programmes
    function does not offer a way to remove it. I suppose you could remove it
    manually although I don't recommend it. The safest thing to do would be just
    not to use it if you don't want to.

    You can stop it starting with Windows from its' options menu, preference tab
    simply by unchecking "Run this program when Windows starts". If done it will
    not bother you and isn't large enough to worry about any disc space it is
    taking.

    MSN/Windows messenger are compatible. Microsoft have removed the chat rooms
    function to avoid any misuse so it is only useful for person to person
    contact. It can be set up to store transcriptions of chats made on it,
    helping to protect youngsters from abuse.

    John, Aug 16, 2004
  5. Harley

    Harley Guest

    Sorry my bad,

    I would be referrencing windows messenger as it is what came with XP Pro
    embedded. I don't chat software and am not a big fan of apps installing on
    startup and having them in the systray. Also i get the chills because of
    the potential for misuse through a malicious act. I do not see it in
    add/remove, and i have turned it off from start up using regcleaner, however
    the darn thing is back again, even after removing it. Is it tied to outlook
    express or outlook? I use both and i recall there being a setting in one of
    the two to disable messenger? Other than that, doing a search for messenger
    in the registry shows that it is everywhere so i don't know what to look for
    in there to safely remove it.

    Thanks

    Harley, Aug 16, 2004
  6. Harley

    John Guest

    "The Dude" <> wrote in message
    > Harley wrote:
    >
    > > Running XP Pro and want to completely remove MSN messenger. How would i

    go
    > > about doing this?

    > With no great ease tbh,it getting harder every OS/SP.
    > Open messenger look to the options dialogue and tick-"don't open this
    > app when windows starts."
    > Make sure msgs is not checked in msconfig-then try add/remove programs
    > from control panel.
    > Then install Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird as mail client and web
    > browser ;-)
    >
    > --

    The mozilla firebox and thunderbird have nothing to do with the messenger
    application.

    Why the Dude wants to trick you into using a different browser and mail ap I
    couldn't say, but I am sure he has his reasons.

    John, Aug 16, 2004
  7. Harley

    John Guest

    "Harley" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry my bad,
    >
    > I would be referrencing windows messenger as it is what came with XP Pro
    > embedded. I don't chat software and am not a big fan of apps installing on
    > startup and having them in the systray. Also i get the chills because of
    > the potential for misuse through a malicious act. I do not see it in
    > add/remove, and i have turned it off from start up using regcleaner,

    however
    > the darn thing is back again, even after removing it. Is it tied to

    outlook
    > express or outlook? I use both and i recall there being a setting in one

    of
    > the two to disable messenger? Other than that, doing a search for

    messenger
    > in the registry shows that it is everywhere so i don't know what to look

    for
    > in there to safely remove it.
    >
    > Thanks

    OK, to stop outlook express restarting the messenger select tools, options
    uncheck "Automatically log on to Windows messenger"

    Sorry, I forgot about that.

    I hope that sorts it out for you.

    Windows Messenger is safe enough although I understand the irritation of
    little applications sitting in the systray. Annoying aren't they.

    John, Aug 16, 2004
  8. Harley

    The Dude Guest

    John wrote:
    > "The Dude" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Harley wrote:
    >>

    >>>Running XP Pro and want to completely remove MSN messenger. How would i

    > go
    >
    >>>about doing this?

    >>With no great ease tbh,it getting harder every OS/SP.
    >>Open messenger look to the options dialogue and tick-"don't open this
    >>app when windows starts."
    >>Make sure msgs is not checked in msconfig-then try add/remove programs
    >>from control panel.
    >>Then install Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird as mail client and web
    >>browser ;-)
    >>
    >>--

    > The mozilla firebox and thunderbird have nothing to do with the messenger
    > application.

    Exactly.

    > Why the Dude wants to trick you into using a different browser and mail ap I
    > couldn't say, but I am sure he has his reasons.

    Because the Mozilla software won't launch Messenger when you open them
    (should you NOT be able to remove messenger -but OLXP/IE will.

    The Dude, Aug 16, 2004
  9. Harley

    Jersey Guest

    John <> wrote:

    > "Harley" <> wrote in message

    > > Sorry my bad,
    > >
    > > I would be referrencing windows messenger as it is what came with
    > > XP Pro embedded. I don't chat software and am not a big fan of apps
    > > installing on startup and having them in the systray. Also i get
    > > the chills because of the potential for misuse through a malicious
    > > act. I do not see it in add/remove, and i have turned it off from
    > > start up using regcleaner, however the darn thing is back again,
    > > even after removing it. Is it tied to outlook express or outlook?
    > > I use both and i recall there being a setting in one of the two to
    > > disable messenger? Other than that, doing a search for messenger
    > > in the registry shows that it is everywhere so i don't know what to
    > > look for in there to safely remove it.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > OK, to stop outlook express restarting the messenger select tools,
    > options uncheck "Automatically log on to Windows messenger"
    >
    > Sorry, I forgot about that.
    > I hope that sorts it out for you.

    So we're actually talking about Windows Messenger, and not MSN Messenger as
    indicated in the subject line? If so;

    And if you've no intention of using it, why have it hanging around at all?

    To remove it completely, use the tool at Doug Knox's site;

    http://www.dougknox.com/

    Click the WinXP-Tips link on the left, then click the last entry in the
    right-hand column. From there, either follow the instructions for manual
    removal, or download and run the .vbs script he makes available. (It's
    safe) Poof! No more Windows Messenger.

    <snip>

    Jersey, Aug 16, 2004
  10. Harley

    Displayname Guest

    You can't use Windows Update though if you use Mozilla, I know that most of
    the updates are for IE but others I've seen are for Windows itself and other
    associated programs such as Media Player. How would you update those
    programs?

    Displayname, Aug 16, 2004
  11. Harley

    The Dude Guest

    Displayname wrote:

    > You can't use Windows Update though if you use Mozilla, I know that most of
    > the updates are for IE but others I've seen are for Windows itself and other
    > associated programs such as Media Player. How would you update those
    > programs?

    Personally-I use IE when I have to.
    It's not uninstalled here-just Windows Messenger.
    I started using Mozilla mail+browsers because of the spyware/ad-ware
    associations with MS products and wasting MY time scanning the machine
    for such,the Mozilla Firefox browser is a lot faster loading pages than
    IE also,though there are some restrictions with FF-for example I was
    visiting a UK wide Cinema chain site to book some cinema tickets and the
    page in FF simply wouldn't load-I had to use IE to view it.
    So...not the perfect solution it seems.

    The Dude, Aug 16, 2004
  12. Harley

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Harley - Be sure MSN Messenger is closed, then go to Start|Run and enter,
    exactly:

    RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

    Then OK.

    --
    Please respond in the same thread.
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

    In news:cfq9k5$nm8$,
    Harley <> typed:

    Jim Byrd, Aug 16, 2004
  13. Harley

    SgtMinor Guest

    Harley wrote:

    > Running XP Pro and want to completely remove MSN messenger. How would i go
    > about doing this?

    Try Gibson Research's freebie "Shoot the Messenger" - only 22K

    http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

    SgtMinor, Aug 16, 2004
  14. Harley

    Scraggy Guest

    SgtMinor wrote:
    > Harley wrote:
    >>
    >> Running XP Pro and want to completely remove MSN messenger. How
    >> would i go about doing this?

    > Try Gibson Research's freebie "Shoot the Messenger" - only 22K
    >
    > http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

    Wrong messenger.

    --
    So, what was the best thing, before sliced bread?

    Scraggy, Aug 17, 2004
  15. Harley

    Harley Guest

    Thanks for the info. I have applied this and it is now gone!!

    Cheers,

    Harley, Aug 17, 2004
  16. Harley

    Jim Byrd Guest