How do I remove a partially installed Operating System?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steve, Aug 16, 2007.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi guys, It's a long story so please bear with me.
    I have an old Fujitsu Stylistic 3400 Tablet PC running Win 2K Pro. It
    has worked well over the years but was starting to run a bit slow (or
    slower than normal, lol) I decided to try to start afresh with a
    clean
    install of 2K pro.
    The problem is that I don't have a floppy drive for it which I could
    have used to format the hard drive and then use a win98 start up disk
    to get started with reinstalling an OS.
    What I did was use a USB CD drive with the genuine win 2K CD to
    install what messages during the proccess called a new installation.
    All went well and the needed files were copied from the CD to the pc
    but then, when the PC was automatically restarted, I got a message
    that thye installation failed because no CD drive was found.
    OK, not being able to do a fresh install isn't all that big a problem
    and I still have a working PC but now, when I start up the PC, I get
    all kinds of options as to what I want to do. Start windows.... Start
    win2Kpro..... Start install of win2Kpro. If I do nothing, the PC
    tries
    to install from the files that were copied to the pc during the
    botched new install attempt which obviously doesn't work.
    So, I guess my question boils down to where d I find these files and
    how do I get rid of them?
    All I want to do is be able to turn the PC on, go and make a coffee
    and come back to a screen showing the desktop.

    Many thanks,
    Steve
    Steve, Aug 16, 2007

  2. Steve

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 05:59:44 -0700, Steve wrote:

    >Hi guys, It's a long story so please bear with me.

    It could have been a lot shorter, think about it.

    <snip>

    >The problem is that I don't have a floppy drive for it which I could
    >have used to format the hard drive and then use a win98 start up disk
    >to get started with reinstalling an OS.
    >What I did was use a USB CD drive with the genuine win 2K CD to
    >install what messages during the proccess called a new installation.

    You would need a floppy/cd with USB drivers for the usb drive, during
    the Win 2000 install you pick the option to install 3rd party drivers.

    Never tried it with USB before, usually SCSI cards.

    >All went well and the needed files were copied from the CD to the pc
    >but then, when the PC was automatically restarted, I got a message
    >that thye installation failed because no CD drive was found.

    Normal.

    <big snip>
    >to install from the files that were copied to the pc during the
    >botched new install attempt which obviously doesn't work.
    >So, I guess my question boils down to where d I find these files and
    >how do I get rid of them?

    Depends on how much you want to get rid of, the Win 2000 install files
    or the WIn 2000 boot / partition to start from scratch again.

    Easier to start new, Restart the install from the Win 2000 CD if it gets
    to the point of selecting the destination partition. You can select the
    partition and delete it.

    Other option boot floppy / cd with something like ranish partition
    manager that lets you view / delete the partition.

    Boot CD of (from previous posts in 24HSHD)

    Ranish

    Knoppix Live CD

    A bootable CD as well.
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/l

    >All I want to do is be able to turn the PC on, go and make a coffee
    >and come back to a screen showing the desktop.

    If you wipe too many files you won't get that.

    The install folders are hidden folders, most likely try searching
    www.google.com or from the 24HSHD link above.

    I can't remember the names, something like $NT or $BT, it's really
    obvious if you can vire the hidden files and folders on the drive.

    MS Support has articles about this stuff
    http://support.microsoft.com/

    www.google.com for -

    recover failed windows 2000 setup

    Me
    why?, Aug 16, 2007

  3. Steve

    Hal Clark Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 05:59:44 -0700, Steve wrote:

    > Hi guys, It's a long story so please bear with me.
    > I have an old Fujitsu Stylistic 3400 Tablet PC running Win 2K Pro. It
    > has worked well over the years but was starting to run a bit slow (or
    > slower than normal, lol) I decided to try to start afresh with a
    > clean
    > install of 2K pro.

    SNIP

    > All I want to do is be able to turn the PC on, go and make a coffee
    > and come back to a screen showing the desktop.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Steve

    I'm not sure this will work, but the next thing I would try is to copy the
    w2k cd to the HHD and install from there. Choose a fresh install if given
    the choice.
    Hal Clark, Aug 16, 2007
  4. Steve

    Gil J Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Hi guys, It's a long story so please bear with me.
    > I have an old Fujitsu Stylistic 3400 Tablet PC running Win 2K Pro. It
    > has worked well over the years but was starting to run a bit slow (or
    > slower than normal, lol) I decided to try to start afresh with a
    > clean
    > install of 2K pro.
    > The problem is that I don't have a floppy drive for it which I could
    > have used to format the hard drive and then use a win98 start up disk
    > to get started with reinstalling an OS.
    > What I did was use a USB CD drive with the genuine win 2K CD to
    > install what messages during the proccess called a new installation.
    > All went well and the needed files were copied from the CD to the pc
    > but then, when the PC was automatically restarted, I got a message
    > that thye installation failed because no CD drive was found.
    > OK, not being able to do a fresh install isn't all that big a problem
    > and I still have a working PC but now, when I start up the PC, I get
    > all kinds of options as to what I want to do. Start windows.... Start
    > win2Kpro..... Start install of win2Kpro. If I do nothing, the PC
    > tries
    > to install from the files that were copied to the pc during the
    > botched new install attempt which obviously doesn't work.
    > So, I guess my question boils down to where d I find these files and
    > how do I get rid of them?
    > All I want to do is be able to turn the PC on, go and make a coffee
    > and come back to a screen showing the desktop.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Steve

    Maybe some help here.
    Gil
    http://home.pacbell.net/dbk4297/fdiskformat.html
    Gil J, Aug 16, 2007
  5. Steve

    Chris Syn Guest

    you boot from the cd and reformat

    Chris Syn, Aug 16, 2007
  6. Steve

    Ben Myers Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi guys, It's a long story so please bear with me.
    > I have an old Fujitsu Stylistic 3400 Tablet PC running Win 2K Pro. It
    > has worked well over the years but was starting to run a bit slow (or
    > slower than normal, lol) I decided to try to start afresh with a
    > clean
    > install of 2K pro.
    > The problem is that I don't have a floppy drive for it which I could
    > have used to format the hard drive and then use a win98 start up disk
    > to get started with reinstalling an OS.
    > What I did was use a USB CD drive with the genuine win 2K CD to
    > install what messages during the proccess called a new installation.
    > All went well and the needed files were copied from the CD to the pc
    > but then, when the PC was automatically restarted, I got a message
    > that thye installation failed because no CD drive was found.
    > OK, not being able to do a fresh install isn't all that big a problem
    > and I still have a working PC but now, when I start up the PC, I get
    > all kinds of options as to what I want to do. Start windows.... Start
    > win2Kpro..... Start install of win2Kpro. If I do nothing, the PC
    > tries
    > to install from the files that were copied to the pc during the
    > botched new install attempt which obviously doesn't work.
    > So, I guess my question boils down to where d I find these files and
    > how do I get rid of them?
    > All I want to do is be able to turn the PC on, go and make a coffee
    > and come back to a screen showing the desktop.

    Start Windows 2000, click "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", double-
    click "System", then click on the "Advanced" tab, select "Startup and
    Recovery" and in the "System startup" box, select "Microsoft Windows
    2000 Professional" as the default operating system. Click "OK", then
    "OK" again. As for the temporary files, look for "C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT".

    Ben
    Ben Myers, Aug 17, 2007