    settings. What is the simplest way to do this with this setup?

    David
    , Dec 24, 2008

  2. wrote:
    > I have the above system (subject line) and Service Pack 3 installed. I
    > have the product recovery CDs (four of them, 1-4) labeled P/N 01R6473.
    > I can't seem to figure out how to simply rerun Windows setup to
    > refresh the Windows install.
    >
    > I want to do this without disturbing Service Pack 3, current software,
    > settings. What is the simplest way to do this with this setup?
    >
    > David

    Download SP3 (drm crap up dont need) and burn it to a disk first?
    §ñühw¤£f, Dec 25, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Dec 25, 11:21 am, §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I have the above system (subject line) and Service Pack 3 installed. I
    > > have the product recovery CDs (four of them, 1-4) labeled P/N 01R6473.
    > > I can't seem to figure out how to simply rerun Windows setup to
    > > refresh the Windows install.

    > > I want to do this without disturbing Service Pack 3, current software,
    > > settings. What is the simplest way to do this with this setup?

    > > David

    > Download SP3 (drm crap up dont need) and burn it to a disk first?

    Thank you,

    Forget the part about the Service Pack 3, that is not the major issue.
    This is:

    "> > I have XP Pro on IBM Thinkpad R40 2681C8U. I
    > > have the product recovery CDs (four of them, 1-4) labeled P/N 01R6473.
    > > I can't seem to figure out how to simply rerun Windows setup to
    > > refresh the Windows install."

    I have a slipstreamed CD with XP Pro and SP3, as well. However, the XP
    Pro version used for the slipstream will not likely work as this
    computer is tied to the Recovery CDs and the version of XP Pro that is
    on the computer. The Recovery CDs have no option for just rerunning
    setup. The Thinkpad doesn't allow you to re-run setup via
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe. It keeps saying to add or remove
    programs via the Control Panel.

    A few sentences of walk through from someone with the same hardware or
    with proficiency over this territory would be most appreciated. I
    simply haven't done it in quite a while (good system).

    Anyone?

    Thx, David
    , Dec 25, 2008
  4. wrote:
    > On Dec 25, 11:21 am, §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> I have the above system (subject line) and Service Pack 3 installed. I
    >>> have the product recovery CDs (four of them, 1-4) labeled P/N 01R6473.
    >>> I can't seem to figure out how to simply rerun Windows setup to
    >>> refresh the Windows install.
    >>> I want to do this without disturbing Service Pack 3, current software,
    >>> settings. What is the simplest way to do this with this setup?
    >>> David

    >> Download SP3 (drm crap up dont need) and burn it to a disk first?

    > Thank you,
    >
    > Forget the part about the Service Pack 3, that is not the major issue.
    > This is:
    >
    > "> > I have XP Pro on IBM Thinkpad R40 2681C8U. I
    >>> have the product recovery CDs (four of them, 1-4) labeled P/N 01R6473.
    >>> I can't seem to figure out how to simply rerun Windows setup to
    >>> refresh the Windows install."

    > I have a slipstreamed CD with XP Pro and SP3, as well. However, the XP
    > Pro version used for the slipstream will not likely work as this
    > computer is tied to the Recovery CDs and the version of XP Pro that is
    > on the computer. The Recovery CDs have no option for just rerunning
    > setup. The Thinkpad doesn't allow you to re-run setup via
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe. It keeps saying to add or remove
    > programs via the Control Panel.
    >
    > A few sentences of walk through from someone with the same hardware or
    > with proficiency over this territory would be most appreciated. I
    > simply haven't done it in quite a while (good system).
    >
    > Anyone?
    >
    > Thx, David

    Get a diskwashing program,

    http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/erase-disk-free.html

    burn it to cd, wipe drive, install from recovery cds and load up your
    programs.
    Or, find a local who will do it for a fee.
    §ñühw¤£f, Dec 25, 2008
  5. Guest

    On Dec 25, 7:30 pm, "PeeCee" <ab...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > >I have the above system (subject line) and Service Pack 3 installed. I
    > > have the product recovery CDs (four of them, 1-4) labeled P/N 01R6473.
    > > I can't seem to figure out how to simply rerun Windows setup to
    > > refresh the Windows install.

    > > I want to do this without disturbing Service Pack 3, current software,
    > > settings. What is the simplest way to do this with this setup?

    > > David

    > David
    >
    > A reinstallation of Windows using the CD's that came with you PC will most
    > surely overwrite SP3.
    > If you think about it the restore program is designed to overwrite what ever
    > is on the hard drive.
    > It will overwrite with whatever it has on the CD and if this is pre SP3...
    >
    > 'Some' makers restore CD's will offer to reinstall Windows without deleting
    > your data, some do 'not'
    > The restore instructions for your Laptop are here:http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=leno...
    > From what I can see you are unlikely to be able to reinstall just Windows
    > alone irrespective of the SP issue, the notes indicate the whole drive will
    > be wiped.
    > i.e. it will be set back to the same state as it was when you opened the box
    > the day you bought it.
    >
    > You should note the following from the above restore instructions:
    > -----------------------------
    > Important: During the recovery process, all data saved on the primary
    > partition of the hard disk
    > (typically the C drive) will be deleted, including any personal data and
    > configuration settings. If possible,
    > back up on removable media the personal files currently on the primary
    > partition before using the
    > Recovery CD.
    > -----------------------------
    >
    > Perhaps you might like to post just 'why' you need to refresh Windows.
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.
    >
    > -- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --

    I do not want to do a system recovery. I do not want to reformat. I do
    not want to use the Recovery CDs unless they have an option to ONLY
    run windows setup. I do want a way to run ONLY windows setup, which
    would not require any of the above. Do you know what only running
    windows setup is?

    I am concerned that doing it with CDs other than those that came with
    this system would not work because of the unique , hidden partition
    the system uses that is meant to avoid needing OS CDs altogether. If
    this is not the case and (1) there are no issues around inserting just
    any old slipstreamed XP Pro CD with SP 3, (2) based on any old XP Pro
    release CD (3) to run only the setup proceedure, then I can do that.

    If you have been a tech long enough, you know that on previous Windows
    OS like 98 all you had to do was rerun setup.exe with the OEM or
    release CD and you could easily have a cherry OS again without having
    to reformat beneath it or reinstall service packs or other software on
    top of it.

    Does the fact that this computer is setup with a hidden partition with
    the OS and the fact it is made to restore with a restore CD prevent me
    from taking a slipstreamed XP Pro CD with XP SP3 and using that to
    just run setup?

    I want to do this for several reasons: (1) it used to be the easiest
    free way to get a whole windows OS back in order (2) the system acts
    like the HDD is going (the system is buggy sometimes, programs like
    FF2 close on their own rather frequently, icons and shortcuts have the
    wrong images assigned to them, etc) BUT the system never seems to find
    any bad sectors on the HDD (3) I don't have time to reformat, etc and
    I don't have time for a new HDD install (the keyboard won't come out
    on this one anyway, which is how you get to the HDD), (4) the system
    is OK enough to continue working with it as is but some improvement
    could be seen by rerunning setup.

    So, if I use a CD that did not come with this system (as described
    above), can I simply rerun setup on this system? Will it work? Is it
    supposed to work or is it more likely to damage the system?
    , Dec 26, 2008
  6. M.L. Guest

    >>> Download SP3 (drm crap up dont need) and burn it to a disk first?

    >> Forget the part about the Service Pack 3, that is not the major issue.
    >> This is:
    >>
    >> "> > I have XP Pro on IBM Thinkpad R40 2681C8U. I

    >> I have a slipstreamed CD with XP Pro and SP3, as well. However, the XP
    >> Pro version used for the slipstream will not likely work as this
    >> computer is tied to the Recovery CDs and the version of XP Pro that is
    >> on the computer. The Recovery CDs have no option for just rerunning
    >> setup. The Thinkpad doesn't allow you to re-run setup via
    >> C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe. It keeps saying to add or remove
    >> programs via the Control Panel.
    >>
    >> A few sentences of walk through from someone with the same hardware or
    >> with proficiency over this territory would be most appreciated. I
    >> simply haven't done it in quite a while (good system).

    The link below details how to create an XP recovery CD from your I386
    folder. If that works OK you should be able to use nLite to slipstream
    SP3 and your CD key into the new recovery CD.

    http://easydesksoftware.com/recovery.htm#XP

    nLite
    http://www.nliteos.com/
    M.L., Dec 26, 2008
  7. Guest

    On Dec 26, 6:14 am, "PeeCee" <ab...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> [...]

    > to move all your data into place by hand.
    > 6 Fortunately on one of the screens just before installing to the current
    > Windows folder/new Windows folder there is an option to 'Repair' the current
    > Windows installation.
    > Now this one won't break to much and should leave all your apps and data
    > just where you expect
    > Just what you need ?
    > er No
    > The problem with this option is it often doesn't fix the sort of issues you
    > describe (as I said above assuming the HD is OK).
    >
    > 98 was a simple OS by today's standards and used quite different methods to
    > interact with programs and data.
    > A drop in, overwrite install of 98 was a quite successfull technique.(yep
    > been there done that)
    > XP on the otherhand has it's roots in OS/2 the operating system initially
    > started as a joint venture between IBM and Microsoft.
    > IBM bought a lot of structure to the OS (read it did it different to 98),
    > then Microsoft decided to go it's own way releasing Windows NT with it's
    > reliance on the Registry to record OS and program settings.
    > The Registry is a key feature of these NT based OS's (XP being version 5.1,
    > Windows 2000 was version 5.0)
    > It is the sheer complexity of this Registry that makes it so hard to do a
    > drop in refresh install of XP.
    > Reinstall XP so not to break anything requires leaving the Registry intact
    > and rewriting the key portions applicable to the OS, the rest complete with
    > corrupt settings stays.
    > Reinstall XP with a fresh Registry in order to clean out all those
    > corruptions and you have to reinstall all your software.
    >
    > It's because of the above list of issues that you will see so many Tech's
    > advise the 'simplest' and 'fastest' solution to a corrupted/buggy install of
    > XP is to back one's data up and to blow the old XP away, reinstalling from
    > fresh.
    > I would counsel you to consider the same on the following basis.
    >
    > 1 It creates the backup of your data that you have been putting off for so
    > long.
    > 2 Once your data is backed up it should only take a few hours to restore
    > your Laptop to new, download & install all the patches (pre download SP3,
    > and use your IBM CD image is best)
    >
    > In fact I'll bet any one of the tech's on this group could have your laptop
    > restored to SP3, Anti Virus, Office suite and personal data moved back in
    > before lunch.
    > How many hours have you spent on the web trying to find an 'easy' answer?
    >
    > Yes you are going to loose all those little customisations that make you
    > feel comfortable.
    > But that is small sacrifce to get a machine back that is quicker and 'more
    > reliable'
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.
    >
    > -- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --

    Thank you, Paul, and everyone for your kind and patient assistance. I
    have the information I need, and now, when I set aside the time, I
    should be able to complete the process. If not, I know which group to
    look to. You are very knowledgeable and professional folks. I really
    appreciate the lack of flaming!

    Best,
    David
    , Dec 26, 2008