How Do I Predict Image Scaling With of Photofinisher Prints?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kc, Mar 19, 2007.

  1. kc

    kc Guest

    Hello All

    I am getting 4" x 6" photo prints (by a photofinisher such as
    Walgreens) of some digital files. I want to ensure that a certain
    vertical element in the photos is 2" high when printed by the
    photofinsher.

    The majority of the images are 1600 pixels wide by 1200 pixels wide
    with a resolution of 180 pixels per inch.
    A few are 2304 pixels wide by 3072 pixels high with a resolution of
    180 pixels per nch.

    Here is what I did

    1. Opened the JPEGs in Photoshop
    2. View > Rulers so I have the rulers along the left and top edges
    3. Select all
    4. Edit > Transform > Scale
    5. Scaled the selection so that vertical element in photo is 2" high
    according to the Photoshop rulers.
    6. Cut the selection from the image file
    7. Paste it back into the image file (this centers the selection on
    the canvas)
    8. I then opened the files in a program called Compupic Pro. It has a
    feature that lets you crop photos when printing typical to typical
    photo sizes. I cropped to a 4" x 6" print.

    i sent a couple of test files over to Walgreens, and when I picked up
    the prints, the vertical element was only 1.5" high instead of 2"
    high.

    How do I scale the photos to successfully control the size of the
    final print. Is step 8 the cause of my problems?

    Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.
    kc, Mar 19, 2007

  2. kc

    Jim Townsend Guest

    kc wrote:

    > Here is what I did
    >
    > 1. Opened the JPEGs in Photoshop
    > 2. View > Rulers so I have the rulers along the left and top edges
    > 3. Select all
    > 4. Edit > Transform > Scale
    > 5. Scaled the selection so that vertical element in photo is 2" high
    > according to the Photoshop rulers.
    > 6. Cut the selection from the image file
    > 7. Paste it back into the image file (this centers the selection on
    > the canvas)
    > 8. I then opened the files in a program called Compupic Pro. It has a
    > feature that lets you crop photos when printing typical to typical
    > photo sizes. I cropped to a 4" x 6" print.
    >
    > i sent a couple of test files over to Walgreens, and when I picked up
    > the prints, the vertical element was only 1.5" high instead of 2"
    > high.
    >
    > How do I scale the photos to successfully control the size of the
    > final print. Is step 8 the cause of my problems?

    What you need to do is find the DPI used by whoever is doing your
    printing. DPI is the number of pixels in your image divided by
    the print size in inches.

    For example, if your printer is using 300 DPI, to print 6" x 4" images,
    then you need to make your images 1800 pixels by 1200 pixels. This
    will prevent them from resampling the image.

    Your two inch component needs to be 600 pixels high (or wide).
    At 300 DPI, 600 pixels will cover *exactly* 2 inches.

    Jim Townsend, Mar 19, 2007

  3. kc

    Guest

    , Mar 20, 2007
  4. kc

    tomcas Guest

    In the attempt to keep is simple- download and install Irfanview.
    http://www.irfanview.com/
    Open the image in Irfanview.
    Use the mouse to select, measure, and record the pixel height of your
    object. The pixels are displayed in the top bar.
    Go to Edit and choose Create Custom Selection. For “set ratio for width/
    height” area pick the 3:2 selection. In “selection size/position” area
    pick the pixel selection and enter into the height box twice the number
    of pixels you measured your object height at earlier. Click apply to image.
    Right click and drag the selection rectangle over the area you want
    printed. Go to Edit and choose crop selection. File, Save as, and you
    are done.

    tomcas, Mar 20, 2007
  5. kc

    Bob Williams Guest

    kc wrote:

    > Hello All
    >
    > I am getting 4" x 6" photo prints (by a photofinisher such as
    > Walgreens) of some digital files. I want to ensure that a certain
    > vertical element in the photos is 2" high when printed by the
    > photofinsher.
    >
    > The majority of the images are 1600 pixels wide by 1200 pixels wide
    > with a resolution of 180 pixels per inch.
    > A few are 2304 pixels wide by 3072 pixels high with a resolution of
    > 180 pixels per nch.
    >
    > Here is what I did
    >
    > 1. Opened the JPEGs in Photoshop
    > 2. View > Rulers so I have the rulers along the left and top edges
    > 3. Select all
    > 4. Edit > Transform > Scale
    > 5. Scaled the selection so that vertical element in photo is 2" high
    > according to the Photoshop rulers.
    > 6. Cut the selection from the image file
    > 7. Paste it back into the image file (this centers the selection on
    > the canvas)
    > 8. I then opened the files in a program called Compupic Pro. It has a
    > feature that lets you crop photos when printing typical to typical
    > photo sizes. I cropped to a 4" x 6" print.
    >
    > i sent a couple of test files over to Walgreens, and when I picked up
    > the prints, the vertical element was only 1.5" high instead of 2"
    > high.
    >
    > How do I scale the photos to successfully control the size of the
    > final print. Is step 8 the cause of my problems?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.

    Open your original picture in Photoshop.
    Set the crop tool to 4x6 inches and the resolution at 300 pixels/inch.
    Crop the picture as you like.
    (This step crops and resizes the image in one fell swoop.) :)
    Set the rulers to 2" tall on your cropped image.
    Select the vertical element.
    Choose Edit > Transform > Scale.
    Make the element just fit between the rulers. > Enter.
    That's it.
    Forget about Compupic Pro.
    Photoshop doesn't need any help in Cropping to any EXACT size.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Mar 20, 2007
  6. kc

    kc Guest

    Thanks everyone - I learned something new from each of you and was
    able to get the project figured out.

    Bob, your Photoshop instructions say to set the resolution to 300
    pixels/inch. Am I supposed to have "resample Image" box checked when I
    change the resolution?
    kc, Mar 24, 2007