how do I play this file?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by George_T, Jun 19, 2006.

  1. George_T

    George_T Guest

    George_T, Jun 19, 2006

  2. George_T

    Robert Baer Guest

    *WHAT* file?
    All i see is an ad for a service; are you a shill?
    Robert Baer, Jun 20, 2006

  3. George_T

    George_T Guest

    George_T, Jun 20, 2006
  4. George_T

    Rob Guest

    Rob, Jun 20, 2006
  5. George_T

    Robert Baer Guest

    George_T wrote:

    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    >>*WHAT* file?
    >> All i see is an ad for a service; are you a shill?

    > There should be a video on there; here is the link I thought I saved it
    > from
    > http://www.channel4.com/bigbrother/live/index.jsp?articleMask=&housemateId=&week=1&pageNo=5
    >
    > it's called "You spin me right round". Any help much appreciated.

    OK; found it.
    THe JavaScript pops up a window that (for me) has a "puzzle-piece"
    icon to get plugin.
    That brings up the M$ site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/alldownloads.aspx
    and that is where one can download their media player version 11; if
    you are on POTS, forgetaboutit - it will take all day (maybe more).
    Now there is *NO* guarantee that the movie will play with that!

    Snooping some, it appears that the movie is FLASH (type SWF), and
    maybe (???) ver 11 will play such beasties.
    Robert Baer, Jun 21, 2006
  6. George_T

    Fred Guest

    George_T wrote:
    > Can someone tell me how to play this file? I've tried media player but
    > keep getting an error message. Thanks
    >

    > http://rapidshare.de/files/23517720/big-brother.dat.html

    Due to copyright restrictions the video is only available to the UK. So they
    will be checking your ip before serving the stream.

    From the sites video help
    "If your web servers are located outside of the UK, you will not be able to
    view all the content on the site. This is because certain content is
    licensed to Channel 4 on the understanding that it can only be viewed by UK
    users. There are also copyright reasons why some types of content, such as
    the news, can only be accessed from the UK."

    To get around that you can temporarily specify a UK proxy address in your
    browser settings.

    (if you use IE it's)

    Tools - Internet Options - Connections - Lan Settings

    Use a proxy server

    I found this one listed on a public proxy list

    193.164.126.13 port 80

    The actual file is just a .wmv served by one of those akamai servers at this
    real time streaming address

    rtsp://a1950.v154789.c15478.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1950/15478/v0004/origin.channel4.com/bigbrother/day05/bb7_d05_2335_spin.wmv
    Fred, Jun 21, 2006