    that and it just opens waiting.

    thanks
    , Sep 5, 2005

  2. SgtMinor Guest

    e wrote:

    > I want to click on a WAV file and have it play
    > NOT open WMP or other program and sit there waiting for me.
    > It used to work this way in the old days before WMP messed things up.
    >
    > How do I accomplish this??????? - maybe with sndrec32 - but I tried
    > that and it just opens waiting.
    >
    > thanks

    WMP messed it up eh?

    If you have a player on your system, right click on the .wav file select
    "Open with" next choose program, scroll down to the program you want and
    select it. Be sure to place a tick in the box marked "Always use this
    program to open these files."
    SgtMinor, Sep 5, 2005

  3. trout Guest

    e wrote:

    > I want to click on a WAV file and have it play
    > NOT open WMP or other program and sit there waiting for me.
    > It used to work this way in the old days before WMP messed things up.
    >
    > How do I accomplish this??????? - maybe with sndrec32 - but I tried
    > that and it just opens waiting.
    >
    > thanks

    Go to Folder Options; File types, and double-click Wave. In the
    properties, you should make sure that you have "Play" as the default
    (rather than Open).
    If you edit the properties for the Play command, it should look
    something like:
    "sndrec32.exe /play /close"
    --
    For example.
    trout, Sep 5, 2005
  4. Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > I want to click on a WAV file and have it play
    > NOT open WMP or other program and sit there waiting for me.
    > It used to work this way in the old days before WMP messed things up.
    >
    > How do I accomplish this??????? - maybe with sndrec32 - but I tried
    > that and it just opens waiting.

    Everything depends on the program that you set to handle each specific
    filename extension.
    All you need to do is assign the tool you want to run WAV to the file
    type WAV, and you're done.

    I don't know from your note which program that would be.
    Mitch, Sep 5, 2005
  5. Guest

    Thanks y'all.
    The answer I was looking for, which I was trying to implement, was
    from trout. only problem is that the window I get is not like it used
    to be where I could specify /play /close.

    Old billy changed something and I can't do that there.

    Anyone know where to change the registry for this to work?????????//

  6. trout Guest

    e wrote:

    > Thanks y'all.
    > The answer I was looking for, which I was trying to implement, was
    > from trout. only problem is that the window I get is not like it used
    > to be where I could specify /play /close.
    >
    > Old billy changed something and I can't do that there.
    >
    > Anyone know where to change the registry for this to work?????????//

    What's the Operating System?

    trout, Sep 5, 2005
  7. Guest

    It's XP

    this is this entry under
    HKCR\Applications\sndrec32.exe\shell\open\command
    "C:\Windows\System32\sndrec32" "%1"

    I tried this
    "C:\Windows\System32\sndrec32" "/play /close" "%1"

    but that does the same thing as previous.
    I can put this in RUN and it will do exactly what I want it to do.
    sndrec32 /play /close chimes.wav

    How can I make it work in the registry???

  8. Toolman Tim Guest

    Skip the registry - go back to the folder options, file types, find the wav
    extension, select it, click on advanced, click on play, click on edit. Put
    the "C:\Windows\System32\sndrec32" /play /close "%1" in the application
    line. PLEASE NOTE I removed the quotes from around /play /close. See if that
    helps.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 5, 2005
  9. Guest

    I would have done that long ago, as I have in the past, but that
    function is no longer available on this XP SP2 window.
    There is no ADVANCE button.
    Is there a way to get the old window back?

    On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 19:52:25 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >Skip the registry - go back to the folder options, file types, find the wav
    >extension, select it, click on advanced, click on play, click on edit. Put
    >the "C:\Windows\System32\sndrec32" /play /close "%1" in the application
    >line. PLEASE NOTE I removed the quotes from around /play /close. See if that
    >helps.
    >

    > wrote:
    >> It's XP
    >>
    >> this is this entry under
    >> HKCR\Applications\sndrec32.exe\shell\open\command
    >> "C:\Windows\System32\sndrec32" "%1"
    >>
    >> I tried this
    >> "C:\Windows\System32\sndrec32" "/play /close" "%1"
    >>
    >> but that does the same thing as previous.
    >> I can put this in RUN and it will do exactly what I want it to do.
    >> sndrec32 /play /close chimes.wav
    >>
    >> How can I make it work in the registry???
    >>
    >> On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 18:54:58 -0700, "trout" <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> What's the Operating System?

    , Sep 6, 2005
  10. trout Guest

    e wrote:

    > I would have done that long ago, as I have in the past, but that
    > function is no longer available on this XP SP2 window.
    > There is no ADVANCE button.
    > Is there a way to get the old window back?

    Sorry, I don't use XP. But you can't do this through just the "edit"
    options?
    Are you unable to edit the properties of the file type, or the
    properties of the command?

    trout, Sep 6, 2005
  11. Toolman Tim Guest

    Yup. Sorry. My WAV files are registred to a different player. I assumed
    (incorrectly, obviously) that the advanced button would be there for the
    other programs.

    But I have another idea - how about a replacement program? I found a nice,
    small, fast, unobtrusive player at
    http://www.webxpace.net/software/software.html#WavPlayer

    This has no "install", no registry settings to play with, etc.

    Download the file, put it somplace you can remember, then edit your .wav
    extension to open waves with that program. Include the variable option in
    the settings. For example, if you put the program in c:\player, then the
    Play options would be "C:\player\wbwav.exe" "%1"

    I can't promise anything. I won't test it since I don't want to risk messing
    up my existing setup, but it looks like it should work.

    TT

    e wrote:
    > I would have done that long ago, as I have in the past, but that
    > function is no longer available on this XP SP2 window.
    > There is no ADVANCE button.
    > Is there a way to get the old window back?
    >

    > On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 19:52:25 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Skip the registry - go back to the folder options, file types, find
    >> the wav extension, select it, click on advanced, click on play,

    <snip>

    Toolman Tim, Sep 7, 2005
  12. trout Guest

    e wrote:

    > On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 15:14:45 -0700, "trout" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> e wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would have done that long ago, as I have in the past, but that
    >>> function is no longer available on this XP SP2 window.
    >>> There is no ADVANCE button.
    >>> Is there a way to get the old window back?

    >> Sorry, I don't use XP. But you can't do this through just the "edit"
    >> options?
    >> Are you unable to edit the properties of the file type, or the
    >> properties of the command?

    > I can select what program I want to "OPEN with:".
    > Nothing else.

    There's not a "New" button on that page to add a different command?
    trout, Sep 7, 2005
  13. Guest

    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I would have done that long ago, as I have in the past, but that
    >> function is no longer available on this XP SP2 window.
    >> There is no ADVANCE button.
    >> Is there a way to get the old window back?

    >Sorry, I don't use XP. But you can't do this through just the "edit"
    >options?
    >Are you unable to edit the properties of the file type, or the
    >properties of the command?

    I can select what program I want to "OPEN with:".
    Nothing else.

    >> On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 19:52:25 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Skip the registry - go back to the folder options, file types, find
    >>> the wav extension, select it, click on advanced, click on play,
    >>> click on edit. Put the "C:\Windows\System32\sndrec32" /play /close
    >>> "%1" in the application line. PLEASE NOTE I removed the quotes from
    >>> around /play /close. See if that helps.

    , Sep 7, 2005
  14. Guest

    On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 20:14:14 -0700, "trout" <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 15:14:45 -0700, "trout" <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Sorry, I don't use XP. But you can't do this through just the "edit"
    >>> options?
    >>> Are you unable to edit the properties of the file type, or the
    >>> properties of the command?

    >> I can select what program I want to "OPEN with:".
    >> Nothing else.

    >There's not a "New" button on that page to add a different command?

    The NEW button adds another extension.
    , Sep 7, 2005
  15. Guest

    On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 17:53:12 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >Yup. Sorry. My WAV files are registred to a different player. I assumed
    >(incorrectly, obviously) that the advanced button would be there for the
    >other programs.
    >
    >But I have another idea - how about a replacement program? I found a nice,
    >small, fast, unobtrusive player at
    >http://www.webxpace.net/software/software.html#WavPlayer
    >
    >This has no "install", no registry settings to play with, etc.
    >
    >Download the file, put it somplace you can remember, then edit your .wav
    >extension to open waves with that program. Include the variable option in
    >the settings. For example, if you put the program in c:\player, then the
    >Play options would be "C:\player\wbwav.exe" "%1"
    >
    >I can't promise anything. I won't test it since I don't want to risk messing
    >up my existing setup, but it looks like it should work.
    >
    >TT

    , Sep 7, 2005
  16. trout Guest

    e wrote:

    > On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 20:14:14 -0700, "trout" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> e wrote:

    >>> I can select what program I want to "OPEN with:".
    >>> Nothing else.

    >> There's not a "New" button on that page to add a different command?
    >>

    > The NEW button adds another extension.

    Hmm. I don't think we're talking about the same place. I mean on the
    page that shows the properties of the file type. Where you could edit
    the properties for "Open", there should be a "New" button to add "Play".
    Not the main "File Types" page.
    trout, Sep 7, 2005
  17. Toolman Tim Guest

    e wrote:
    > On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 17:53:12 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Yup. Sorry. My WAV files are registred to a different player. I
    >> assumed (incorrectly, obviously) that the advanced button would be
    >> there for the other programs.
    >>
    >> But I have another idea - how about a replacement program? I found a
    >> nice, small, fast, unobtrusive player at
    >> http://www.webxpace.net/software/software.html#WavPlayer
    >>
    >> This has no "install", no registry settings to play with, etc.
    >>
    >> Download the file, put it somplace you can remember, then edit your
    >> .wav extension to open waves with that program. Include the variable
    >> option in the settings. For example, if you put the program in
    >> c:\player, then the Play options would be "C:\player\wbwav.exe" "%1"
    >>
    >> I can't promise anything. I won't test it since I don't want to risk
    >> messing up my existing setup, but it looks like it should work.
    >>
    >> TT

    You're welcome :)

    Sometimes the best fix is a good work-around <g>

    Toolman Tim, Sep 7, 2005