    departition the hd with fdisk and start again. Unfortunately, that
    is as far as I can get this time. Would much appreciate any advice.

    Dan

    Dan, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Dan

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Dan <> wrote in news:Rv7Ib.185824$PD3.5893871
    @nnrp1.uunet.ca:

    > I have been trying to install Winxp on a new, clean hard drive. I
    > started about a week ago, and somehow managed to do it (in ntfs) but
    > couldn't get WinXP to fully install because of a mb problem, and now
    > can't, for the life of me, find the reference source that I used.
    > Anyway, because at least 1 file was missing or corrupted from my first
    > WinXP disk that I used (no, it is not pirated), I decided to
    > departition the hd with fdisk and start again. Unfortunately, that
    > is as far as I can get this time. Would much appreciate any advice.
    >
    > Dan

    You can do the install using FAT32 and when you're done, you can use the
    Convert command at the command prompt, which will convert the FAT32
    partition to a NTFS one. Convert c: /fs:ntfs

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 30, 2003

  3. Dan

    Dan Guest

    I finally found the page I was looking for. In case anyone else has
    the same problem, it is at http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/clean.htm .

    Thanks,
    Dan

    Dan, Dec 30, 2003
  4. This is actually quite easy. Boot from the CD-ROM. When asked where to
    install WinXP, select Unallocated Drive Space. It will then ask you if you
    want to use FAT32 or NTFS. Select NTFS. It will then create the partition,
    format it, and continue with the installation process.

    =The Anti-n00b=, Dec 31, 2003