    I would be most appreciative of any advice given, on how to best
    accomplish my goal.

    thanks

    news.east.earthlink.net, Dec 18, 2003

  2. news.east.earthlink.net

    DH Guest

    "news.east.earthlink.net" <> wrote in message
    > I ordered a new PC, with Win XP as the OS. I have an older PC, running
    > Win 98. Given that I have cable assess to the net, I would like to
    > network the two PC's and have simultaneous access to the net from both
    > PC's. I would also like to have a single printer available from both
    > PC's.
    >
    > I would be most appreciative of any advice given, on how to best
    > accomplish my goal.
    >
    > thanks

    Here's a start:

    DH, Dec 18, 2003

  3. news.east.earthlink.net

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > I ordered a new PC, with Win XP as the OS. I have an older PC, running
    > Win 98. Given that I have cable assess to the net, I would like to
    > network the two PC's and have simultaneous access to the net from both
    > PC's. I would also like to have a single printer available from both
    > PC's.
    >
    > I would be most appreciative of any advice given, on how to best
    > accomplish my goal.
    >
    > thanks

    You can save yourself a lot off trouble by just getting a router and
    using it as the gateway for the LAN and WAN. You can get a cheap NAT
    router on sale for $20 to $30 and at regular prices starting at $50 and
    up. Linksys, D-link, Netgear, Belkin, SMC all have good routers.

    You cannot beat the protection of the NAT router from unsolicited inbound
    threats from the Internet.

    You can get a router with a print server and both machines can share the
    printer.

    You can also use MS File and Print Services between machines and share
    the printer between machines, with one machine having the printer
    installed with the other machine across the network.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 19, 2003
  4. news.east.earthlink.net

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:50:58 GMT, news.east.earthlink.net
    <> wrote:

    >I ordered a new PC, with Win XP as the OS. I have an older PC, running
    >Win 98. Given that I have cable assess to the net, I would like to
    >network the two PC's and have simultaneous access to the net from both
    >PC's. I would also like to have a single printer available from both
    >PC's.
    >
    > I would be most appreciative of any advice given, on how to best
    >accomplish my goal.
    >
    >thanks

    What Duane said!

    Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

    Trent

    Trent©, Dec 19, 2003
  5. Duane Arnold wrote:

    > news.east.earthlink.net <> wrote in
    >

    >>I ordered a new PC, with Win XP as the OS. I have an older PC, running
    >>Win 98. Given that I have cable assess to the net, I would like to
    >>network the two PC's and have simultaneous access to the net from both
    >>PC's. I would also like to have a single printer available from both
    >>PC's.
    >>
    >> I would be most appreciative of any advice given, on how to best
    >>accomplish my goal.
    >>
    >>thanks

    > You can save yourself a lot off trouble by just getting a router and
    > using it as the gateway for the LAN and WAN. You can get a cheap NAT
    > router on sale for $20 to $30 and at regular prices starting at $50 and
    > up. Linksys, D-link, Netgear, Belkin, SMC all have good routers.
    >
    > You cannot beat the protection of the NAT router from unsolicited inbound
    > threats from the Internet.
    >
    > http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
    >
    > You can get a router with a print server and both machines can share the
    > printer.
    >
    > You can also use MS File and Print Services between machines and share
    > the printer between machines, with one machine having the printer
    > installed with the other machine across the network.
    >
    > Duane :)

    I'd go with the router & print server. I've had very mixed results
    getting WinXP & Win98 machines to network. I know it can be done but out
    of 4 networks I work on I don't think I've gotten any to network
    properly. All have now gone to WinXP because of the problems.
    (Personally I'd have preferred that they go the other way-back to
    Win98-but couldn't convince the owners.)

    I've been told that it can be done but I suspect it'd be easier to set
    up the router-and you'd get NAT protection besides.

    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 19, 2003
  6. news.east.earthlink.net

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Calvin Crumrine <> wrote in

    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >
    >> news.east.earthlink.net <> wrote in
    >>

    >>>I ordered a new PC, with Win XP as the OS. I have an older PC,
    >>>running Win 98. Given that I have cable assess to the net, I would
    >>>like to network the two PC's and have simultaneous access to the net
    >>>from both PC's. I would also like to have a single printer available
    >>>from both PC's.
    >>>
    >>> I would be most appreciative of any advice given, on how to best
    >>>accomplish my goal.
    >>>
    >>>thanks

    >> You can save yourself a lot off trouble by just getting a router and
    >> using it as the gateway for the LAN and WAN. You can get a cheap NAT
    >> router on sale for $20 to $30 and at regular prices starting at $50
    >> and up. Linksys, D-link, Netgear, Belkin, SMC all have good routers.
    >>
    >> You cannot beat the protection of the NAT router from unsolicited
    >> inbound threats from the Internet.
    >>
    >> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
    >>
    >> You can get a router with a print server and both machines can share
    >> the printer.
    >>
    >> You can also use MS File and Print Services between machines and
    >> share the printer between machines, with one machine having the
    >> printer installed with the other machine across the network.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > I'd go with the router & print server. I've had very mixed results
    > getting WinXP & Win98 machines to network. I know it can be done but
    > out of 4 networks I work on I don't think I've gotten any to network
    > properly. All have now gone to WinXP because of the problems.
    > (Personally I'd have preferred that they go the other way-back to
    > Win98-but couldn't convince the owners.)
    >
    > I've been told that it can be done but I suspect it'd be easier to set
    > up the router-and you'd get NAT protection besides.

    Although it's talking about some server stuff on Win 2K, NT is NT XP or
    Win2K and there is no difference in the core components server or
    workstation Pro or Home when it comes to the network protocols.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/default.asp?
    url=/windows2000/en/server/help/sag_NWLnkconcepts_6.htm

    http://www.niakwa.com/instguid/novell_netbios/installation/microsoft_wind
    ows_nt_networks.htm

    I have not used a Win9'x O/S in a very long time so I cannot say for sure
    if it will work but it should with NWlink IPX/SPX NETBIOS compatible and
    on the Win 9'x NETBIOS over IPX/SPX. I use NWlink on the NT based
    machines on my network, because wireless laptop with WEP enable cannot be
    accessed or it access the other machines for File and Print Sharing.

    You will want to protect ports 139 and 445 TCP the NETBios ports on
    inbound with a host based FW or being being a router. If behind a router,
    you may want to only allow router IP(s) to only access the machines on
    those ports.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 20, 2003
  7. Duane Arnold wrote:
    > Calvin Crumrine <> wrote in
    >

    >>Duane Arnold wrote:
    >>

    >>>news.east.earthlink.net <> wrote in

    >>>You can save yourself a lot off trouble by just getting a router and
    >>>using it as the gateway for the LAN and WAN. You can get a cheap NAT
    >>>router on sale for $20 to $30 and at regular prices starting at $50
    >>>and up. Linksys, D-link, Netgear, Belkin, SMC all have good routers.
    >>>
    >>>You cannot beat the protection of the NAT router from unsolicited
    >>>inbound threats from the Internet.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
    >>>
    >>>You can get a router with a print server and both machines can share
    >>>the printer.
    >>>
    >>>You can also use MS File and Print Services between machines and
    >>>share the printer between machines, with one machine having the
    >>>printer installed with the other machine across the network.
    >>>
    >>>Duane :)

    >>I'd go with the router & print server. I've had very mixed results
    >>getting WinXP & Win98 machines to network. I know it can be done but
    >>out of 4 networks I work on I don't think I've gotten any to network
    >>properly. All have now gone to WinXP because of the problems.
    >>(Personally I'd have preferred that they go the other way-back to
    >>Win98-but couldn't convince the owners.)
    >>
    >>I've been told that it can be done but I suspect it'd be easier to set
    >>up the router-and you'd get NAT protection besides.
    >>

    > Although it's talking about some server stuff on Win 2K, NT is NT XP or
    > Win2K and there is no difference in the core components server or
    > workstation Pro or Home when it comes to the network protocols.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/default.asp?
    > url=/windows2000/en/server/help/sag_NWLnkconcepts_6.htm
    >
    > http://www.niakwa.com/instguid/novell_netbios/installation/microsoft_wind
    > ows_nt_networks.htm
    >
    > I have not used a Win9'x O/S in a very long time so I cannot say for sure
    > if it will work but it should with NWlink IPX/SPX NETBIOS compatible and
    > on the Win 9'x NETBIOS over IPX/SPX. I use NWlink on the NT based
    > machines on my network, because wireless laptop with WEP enable cannot be
    > accessed or it access the other machines for File and Print Sharing.
    >
    > You will want to protect ports 139 and 445 TCP the NETBios ports on
    > inbound with a host based FW or being being a router. If behind a router,
    > you may want to only allow router IP(s) to only access the machines on
    > those ports.
    >
    > Duane :)

    Haven't tried Win2K & XP-like you said, both are NT so it could work
    fine. I do use NWLink on the XP machines & did use IPX/SPX NETBIOS on
    the Win98 machines. No joy. I frequently got one-way networking, but
    never two-way. (Weirdly, I got one-way networking both ways on different
    networks. One, I got the XP machines to access the 98 ones, but the 98
    machines couldn't access the XP ones. On another the 98 ones could
    access the XP machines just fine but the XP machines couldn't even see
    the 98 machines. Got far enough to be fairly certain that it *can* be
    done, but could never cross the finish line. Finally gave up & just
    moved everything to the same OS.)

    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 20, 2003
  8. news.east.earthlink.net

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > Haven't tried Win2K & XP-like you said, both are NT so it could work
    > fine.

    It does work on the Win 2K and XP machine on my network.

    > I do use NWLink on the XP machines & did use IPX/SPX NETBIOS on
    > the Win98 machines. No joy.

    I don't know what's up with that as I was helping someone with XP and Win
    9'x resource sharing with the above network protocols in another NG. It
    didn't work either. But it should work!. The two XP machines were just
    fine.

    > I frequently got one-way networking, but
    > never two-way. (Weirdly, I got one-way networking both ways on
    > different networks. One, I got the XP machines to access the 98 ones,
    > but the 98 machines couldn't access the XP ones. On another the 98
    > ones could access the XP machines just fine but the XP machines
    > couldn't even see the 98 machines.

    During the initial setup of the XP machines before I realized that the
    Network Wizard is a piece of *crap* and abandon it, the Wiz is nothing
    but trouble, I did see a part of the dialog that was indicating that the
    Network Wizard could be used to make a network setup install diskette
    that was to be installed on non XP/NT based machines so that
    communications could take place between the machines on a LAN.

    Maybe, that's the missing part to this. I have to think that it has been
    accomplished somewhere on this Earth! ;-)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 20, 2003
  9. news.east.earthlink.net

    derek / nul Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:42:26 -0900, Calvin Crumrine <>
    wrote:

    >Haven't tried Win2K & XP-like you said, both are NT so it could work
    >fine. I do use NWLink on the XP machines & did use IPX/SPX NETBIOS on
    >the Win98 machines. No joy. I frequently got one-way networking, but
    >never two-way. (Weirdly, I got one-way networking both ways on different
    >networks. One, I got the XP machines to access the 98 ones, but the 98
    >machines couldn't access the XP ones. On another the 98 ones could
    >access the XP machines just fine but the XP machines couldn't even see
    >the 98 machines. Got far enough to be fairly certain that it *can* be
    >done, but could never cross the finish line. Finally gave up & just
    >moved everything to the same OS.)

    Use Netbeui on all machines, no problems.
    On my home network, I use IP for the net and netbeui for w2k and 98

    Derek

    derek / nul, Dec 20, 2003
  10. news.east.earthlink.net

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:03:21 -0900, Calvin Crumrine
    <> wrote:

    >I'd go with the router & print server. I've had very mixed results
    >getting WinXP & Win98 machines to network. I know it can be done but out
    >of 4 networks I work on I don't think I've gotten any to network
    >properly.

    The trick is in setting up permissions.

    Trent©, Dec 20, 2003
  11. news.east.earthlink.net

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:13:30 GMT, Duane Arnold <>
    wrote:

    >During the initial setup of the XP machines before I realized that the
    >Network Wizard is a piece of *crap* and abandon it, the Wiz is nothing
    >but trouble,

    Yer entirely correct.

    >I did see a part of the dialog that was indicating that the
    >Network Wizard could be used to make a network setup install diskette
    >that was to be installed on non XP/NT based machines so that
    >communications could take place between the machines on a LAN.
    >
    >Maybe, that's the missing part to this. I have to think that it has been
    >accomplished somewhere on this Earth! ;-)

    I've never had a problem. The key is to set up shares on the XP
    machine for the LOGOFF name on the 98 machine.

    Trent©, Dec 20, 2003
  12. news.east.earthlink.net

    Wizard Guest

    All versions of windows will network very smoothly with all other
    versions. I use tcpip and netbeui. You must disable the firewall if you
    use tcpip and you must enable the guest account on the xp machines (this
    happens automatically if you use the setup wizard.

    Wizard, Dec 20, 2003
  13. news.east.earthlink.net

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Wizard <> wrote in

    > All versions of windows will network very smoothly with all other
    > versions. I use tcpip and netbeui. You must disable the firewall if
    > you use tcpip and you must enable the guest account on the xp machines
    > (this happens automatically if you use the setup wizard.

    What's the Guest Account got to do with making a connection to a NT based
    machine on a Share? One should be using Authenticated User on an NT share
    when a connection is made to it, but that's if one is using NTFS and
    concened about security on the machine. I have always disabled the
    Anonymous *Guest* Account on any NT based machine in a home environment.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 20, 2003
  14. To all whom replied to my question. a sincere thank you. Looking
    forward to receiving the new PC and trying those helpful responses.

    Again Thanks !!!

    news.east.earthlink.net, Dec 20, 2003
  15. news.east.earthlink.net

    Wizard Guest

    XP authenticates unknown users as guests. NT does not.

    Wizard, Dec 21, 2003