    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 30, 2007

  2. ~misfit~

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <46ff0280$>,
    says...
    > Hi folks. As per the subject. I thought that I was clever with my last
    > machine, made an easilly-accessable folder, called it "OE Store" and pointed
    > OE to it for saving stuff into. However, when I copy it to my new machine
    > and point OE to it OE tells me it's found a folder that's been used by OE
    > before but I get nada on opening OE. (With OEQuotefix) I can't find anything
    > in Application Data relating to OE.
    >
    > It would be really nice if I didn't have to start from scratch, setting up
    > (NNTP) accounts, re-downloading all my groups....
    >
    > I would very much appreciate some help. Both machines running XP Pro.

    Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Files and Settings
    Transfer Wizard - is probably the easiest way to do the job.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Sep 30, 2007

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <46ff0280$>,
    > says...
    > > Hi folks. As per the subject. I thought that I was clever with my
    > > last machine, made an easilly-accessable folder, called it "OE
    > > Store" and pointed OE to it for saving stuff into. However, when I
    > > copy it to my new machine and point OE to it OE tells me it's found
    > > a folder that's been used by OE before but I get nada on opening
    > > OE. (With OEQuotefix) I can't find anything in Application Data
    > > relating to OE.
    > >
    > > It would be really nice if I didn't have to start from scratch,
    > > setting up (NNTP) accounts, re-downloading all my groups....
    > >
    > > I would very much appreciate some help. Both machines running XP
    > > Pro.

    > Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Files and Settings
    > Transfer Wizard - is probably the easiest way to do the job.

    Thanks Dave, I'll have a look at that in a while. I hope it has the option
    to just do OE as I've spent the last day setting everything else up as I
    like it.

    For now; Food, then Formula 1.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 30, 2007
  4. ~misfit~

    Cima Guest

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:19:02 +1300, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >Dave Doe wrote:
    >> In article <46ff0280$>,
    >> says...
    >> > Hi folks. As per the subject. I thought that I was clever with my
    >> > last machine, made an easilly-accessable folder, called it "OE
    >> > Store" and pointed OE to it for saving stuff into. However, when I
    >> > copy it to my new machine and point OE to it OE tells me it's found
    >> > a folder that's been used by OE before but I get nada on opening
    >> > OE. (With OEQuotefix) I can't find anything in Application Data
    >> > relating to OE.
    >> >
    >> > It would be really nice if I didn't have to start from scratch,
    >> > setting up (NNTP) accounts, re-downloading all my groups....
    >> >
    >> > I would very much appreciate some help. Both machines running XP
    >> > Pro.

    >> Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Files and Settings
    >> Transfer Wizard - is probably the easiest way to do the job.

    >Thanks Dave, I'll have a look at that in a while. I hope it has the option
    >to just do OE as I've spent the last day setting everything else up as I
    >like it.

    You should be able to import the old OE data into the new system, rather than
    pointing it to the copied store folder.

    Cima, Sep 30, 2007
  5. ~misfit~

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    >> In article <46ff0280$>,
    >> says...
    >> > Hi folks. As per the subject. I thought that I was clever with my
    >> > last machine, made an easilly-accessable folder, called it "OE
    >> > Store" and pointed OE to it for saving stuff into. However, when I
    >> > copy it to my new machine and point OE to it OE tells me it's found
    >> > a folder that's been used by OE before but I get nada on opening
    >> > OE. (With OEQuotefix) I can't find anything in Application Data
    >> > relating to OE.
    >> >
    >> > It would be really nice if I didn't have to start from scratch,
    >> > setting up (NNTP) accounts, re-downloading all my groups....
    >> >
    >> > I would very much appreciate some help. Both machines running XP
    >> > Pro.

    >> Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Files and Settings
    >> Transfer Wizard - is probably the easiest way to do the job.

    > Thanks Dave, I'll have a look at that in a while. I hope it has the option
    > to just do OE as I've spent the last day setting everything else up as I
    > like it.
    >
    > For now; Food, then Formula 1.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Shaun.

    The OE DBX files and folders.dbx are easy enough to find after going though
    several folders from Local Settings, but he's blocked that many people the
    poor idiot has fucked himself when wanting help on the location of the OE
    folders and files under identitities etc etc.
    Anyway it might help others to know that OE files and folders aren't under
    Program Files but under Docs and Settings - owner - Local Settings etc etc

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 30, 2007
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Cima wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:19:02 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Dave Doe wrote:
    > > > In article <46ff0280$>,
    > > > says...

    > > > Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Files and Settings
    > > > Transfer Wizard - is probably the easiest way to do the job.

    > > Thanks Dave, I'll have a look at that in a while. I hope it has the
    > > option to just do OE as I've spent the last day setting everything
    > > else up as I like it.
    > >

    > You should be able to import the old OE data into the new system,
    > rather than pointing it to the copied store folder.

    Yeah, you'd think huh? I tried the settings transfer wizard, went for the
    "expert" mode, pointed it at a 2GB USB stick, only ticked OE and off it went
    gathering files about everything on the PC. After 20 minutes I hit 'cancel'.

    I'll just do it the old-fashioned way I think. Shame I'll lose a lot of
    usenet postings that I've put into a 'saved' folder over the last four years
    or so that I thought might be handy one day.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 30, 2007
  7. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Cima wrote:
    >> On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:19:02 +1300, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> Thanks Dave, I'll have a look at that in a while. I hope it has the
    >>> option to just do OE as I've spent the last day setting everything
    >>> else up as I like it.

    >> You should be able to import the old OE data into the new system,
    >> rather than pointing it to the copied store folder.

    > Yeah, you'd think huh? I tried the settings transfer wizard, went for the
    > "expert" mode, pointed it at a 2GB USB stick, only ticked OE and off it went
    > gathering files about everything on the PC. After 20 minutes I hit 'cancel'.
    > I'll just do it the old-fashioned way I think. Shame I'll lose a lot of
    > usenet postings that I've put into a 'saved' folder over the last four years
    > or so that I thought might be handy one day.

    These data management hassles with OE were one of the major reasons I abandoned
    the !@#. I would particularly love to find the email from NASA about the Saturn
    V coming down in Wellington Harbour a few years ago, but that's another story.

    You have to create the account in OE and point it at the data in just the right
    order while holding exactly the right pose to make it work. It's been like that
    forever and it is completely stupid. I can't remember the spell.

    However, OE is not the only email client in the world. Most seem to have at
    lease some sort of import facility. Thunderbird does a reasonable job of OE
    data, and there's nothing to stop you running as many different clients as you
    like.

    Mark Robinson, Sep 30, 2007
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Cima wrote:
    > > > You should be able to import the old OE data into the new system,
    > > > rather than pointing it to the copied store folder.

    > > Yeah, you'd think huh? I tried the settings transfer wizard, went
    > > for the "expert" mode, pointed it at a 2GB USB stick, only ticked
    > > OE and off it went gathering files about everything on the PC.
    > > After 20 minutes I hit 'cancel'. I'll just do it the old-fashioned
    > > way I think. Shame I'll lose a lot of usenet postings that I've put
    > > into a 'saved' folder over the last four years or so that I thought
    > > might be handy one day.

    Hi Mark,

    > These data management hassles with OE were one of the major reasons I
    > abandoned the !@#. I would particularly love to find the email from
    > NASA about the Saturn V coming down in Wellington Harbour a few years
    > ago, but that's another story.

    An interesting one too it seems.

    > You have to create the account in OE and point it at the data in just
    > the right order while holding exactly the right pose to make it work.
    > It's been like that forever and it is completely stupid. I can't
    > remember the spell.

    Shame. :-(

    > However, OE is not the only email client in the world. Most seem to
    > have at lease some sort of import facility. Thunderbird does a
    > reasonable job of OE data, and there's nothing to stop you running as
    > many different clients as you like.

    It's not the email. I use an ancient and abandoned programme called Calypso
    3 for email. That's really easy to migrate (I have emails going back over
    five machines, nearly 10 years) takes no longer than it takes to copy the
    mailbox folder between the two machines. <shamefaced look> I only use OE
    (with OEQuotefix) for usenet. My last machine (this one, I still haven't
    moved over completely) has quite a bit in the "saved" folder, pearls of
    wisdom, so rare on usenet, that I've kept for future reference. In future
    I'll copy then to a wordprocessor. I'm going to peruse them and copy any
    that I still think I need later but it's a PITA.

    Thanks for the reply,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 1, 2007
  9. ~misfit~

    Alan Guest

    Hi Misfit,

    The following worked for me (OE6) last year when I did the same thing:

    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

    For each identity (if you use multiple identities you'd have to do
    this separately for each one I think):

    On the old machine, locate the email store (Tools, Options,
    Maintenance, Store Folder)
    Copy the entire contents of that directory to a floppy / CD /
    network drive....

    On the new machine, select File, Import, Messages....
    Choose MSOE6, Next. Import mail from an OE6 store directory, Next.
    Browse to the location that you've placed the message store we
    saved from your old machine.
    Import.

    Old: Open up the address book, File, Export, and click on Address
    Book (WAB)
    New: File, Import, Address Book..., select the address book, and
    import.

    Old: Tools - Accounts - Export each account
    New: Tolls - Accounts - Import each account

    Rules (if you use them):

    Determine the correct subkey of the HKCU\Identities key.
    Select each in turn and check the Username value in the right-hand
    pane.
    Substitute the value there for [ID] in the key below.

    HKCU\Identities\[ID]\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
    Express\5.0\Rules\Mail

    Select the key and choose Export from the Registry menu.
    Open the REG file
    Replace source identity string with that of the target.
    Delete the above key on the target machine using the target
    identity string.
    Move the resulting REG file to the target computer and run it

    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

    There was an application available from the MS website once upon a
    time that did all that for you, but I couldn't find it when I just did
    a quick search.

    I did it manually myself - it only took about 10 mins all up for me.

    Can't make an guarantees and your lookout if it goes awry!!

    HTH,
    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Oct 1, 2007
  10. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-09-30, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > Cima wrote:
    >> On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:19:02 +1300, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > I'll just do it the old-fashioned way I think. Shame I'll lose a lot of
    > usenet postings that I've put into a 'saved' folder over the last four years
    > or so that I thought might be handy one day.

    Have you tried the MS site and the knowledge base?

    For some strange reason once the right edition is found you just follow the
    instructions and it works. Well worked for me on several occassions.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670/ should get you near what you want

    SUMMARY
    This article describes how to back up and to restore the following items in
    Microsoft Outlook Express:
    • Messages
    • The Address Book
    • Mail accounts
    • News accounts
    If you use multiple identities in Outlook Express, repeat the steps in the
    "More Information" section for each identity, and separate the backup data
    accordingly. This process will make it easier to restore each identity.

    This article is intended for a beginning to intermediate computer user.You
    may find it easier to follow the steps if you print this article first.

    Gordon, Oct 1, 2007
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On 2007-09-30, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > > Cima wrote:

    > [snip]
    > >
    > > I'll just do it the old-fashioned way I think. Shame I'll lose a
    > > lot of usenet postings that I've put into a 'saved' folder over the
    > > last four years or so that I thought might be handy one day.
    > >

    > Have you tried the MS site and the knowledge base?
    >
    > For some strange reason once the right edition is found you just
    > follow the instructions and it works. Well worked for me on several
    > occassions.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670/ should get you near what you
    > want
    >
    > SUMMARY
    > This article describes how to back up and to restore the following
    > items in Microsoft Outlook Express:
    > â?¢ Messages
    > â?¢ The Address Book
    > â?¢ Mail accounts
    > â?¢ News accounts
    > If you use multiple identities in Outlook Express, repeat the steps
    > in the "More Information" section for each identity, and separate the
    > backup data accordingly. This process will make it easier to restore
    > each identity.
    >
    > This article is intended for a beginning to intermediate computer
    > user.You may find it easier to follow the steps if you print this
    > article first.

    You little beauty! While that page was too late for me (I've already set it
    up manually and cut'n pasted anything I wanted to save, I only use it for
    usenet) it *did* give me a link to how to transfer my blocked senders list.
    That was a major concern as, in a gaming group I frequent, a group of
    anti-semetic trolls have made it their mission to try to sedtroy the group,
    nymshifting every week or two and always crossposting to the group. My
    blocked senders list must have 1,000 entries in it (only around 50 of which
    are Roger. <g>) and I wasn't looking forward to having to rebuild it as they
    appeared.

    Thanks.
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 1, 2007
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Hi Misfit,
    >
    > The following worked for me (OE6) last year when I did the same thing:
    >
    > +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

    [snip life-saving advice]

    Alan, thanks so much! I'd started saving some stuff to Word documents but
    that was so quick and easy.

    If I can ever help you....

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 1, 2007
  13. ~misfit~

    Alan Guest

    Don't worry - I'll ask here!

    In fact, I'm about to post a question on moving a Kubuntu VM from one
    host to another....

    Alan, Oct 1, 2007
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Don't worry - I'll ask here!
    >
    > In fact, I'm about to post a question on moving a Kubuntu VM from one
    > host to another....

    Sorry I couldn't help on that one. However, it seems that, from my
    understanding of how VMs work, you got good advice anyway.

    I had a VM on my old machine, installed it when MS decided that they'd give
    their version away. However, after installing, I never used it again. Just
    uninstalled and eleted the directory last night.

    Hope all goes well with yours.
    --
    TTFN

    Shaun.