How do I make the system and boot drives the same?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Daniel, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Hi all.

    I recently had a catastrophic HD crash. I replaced the faulty drive
    and reinstalled Windows XP home. After the reinstallation my C: drive
    is my system drive and my F: drive is my boot drive. I want the system
    and boot drive to be the C: drive.

    As per my research I have copied ntdlr and ntdetect.com from my F:
    drive to my C: drive and have made the appropriate changes to the
    boot.ini to reassign the correct rdisk setting.

    At this point I am about to copy the corrected boot.ini to the C:
    drive but have a sudden need for some reassurance that this will work.

    Will this correct the problem?

    Will XP recognize the new boot.ini on the C: drive?

    I have researched all of this in detail but have not found one single
    SIMPLE way to accomplish this. Once I get this accomplished changing
    the drive letters and getting things arranged to where I like them
    will be a piece of cake.

    For such a smart OS, XP does some really dumb things. This should be
    SO simple.

    Daniel, Aug 5, 2003