    I used to be able to list all my files in a folder to a text file using
    win98.

    How do I do that with windows vista? Thanks Ray

    donzdorf, Dec 30, 2007

  2. donzdorf

    Guest

    , Dec 30, 2007

  3. donzdorf

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:21:16 -0500, "donzdorf"
    <> wrote:

    >Using Windows Vista on Laptop.
    >
    >I used to be able to list all my files in a folder to a text file using
    >win98.
    >
    >How do I do that with windows vista? Thanks Ray

    Highlight the files you want to list, hold down the shift key and
    right click.
    Select "Copy as path".
    This will not copy the information shown with the files, just the
    path.

    richard, Dec 30, 2007
  4. donzdorf

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 09:31:01 -0800, wrote:

    > "donzdorf" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Using Windows Vista on Laptop.
    >>
    >>I used to be able to list all my files in a folder to a text file using
    >>win98.
    >>
    >>How do I do that with windows vista? Thanks Ray

    >You can use Karen's Directory Printer (it also saves as a file)
    >http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

    Well at least she's keeping it current.
    Still insists on requiring VB though.
    Maybe I'll work on something using Liberty Basic and see if I can
    conjur up a working program similar to it.

    richard, Dec 30, 2007
  5. donzdorf

    chuckcar Guest

    "donzdorf" <> wrote in

    > Using Windows Vista on Laptop.
    >
    > I used to be able to list all my files in a folder to a text file
    > using win98.
    >
    > How do I do that with windows vista? Thanks Ray

    same as the only way that one should: with dos. Which by the way has
    *not* been made obsolete, as dos is an acronym for Disk Operating
    System, not a command shell.

    start->programs->msdos prompt

    cd c:\<full path to files>
    dir >filelist.txt
    exit

    you will have a list of that directory in filelist.txt.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 30, 2007
  6. donzdorf

    W Guest

    "donzdorf" <> wrote in message
    > Using Windows Vista on Laptop.
    >
    > I used to be able to list all my files in a folder to a text file using
    > win98.
    >
    > How do I do that with windows vista? Thanks Ray

    Install a copy of Firefox and drag the folder you want to list into the
    address bar.

    W, Dec 30, 2007
  7. donzdorf

    G. Morgan Guest

    chuckcar wrote:

    >same as the only way that one should: with dos. Which by the way has
    >*not* been made obsolete, as dos is an acronym for Disk Operating
    >System, not a command shell.
    >
    >start->programs->msdos prompt

    Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

    Or:

    Start -> Run -> 'cmd' <enter>

    G. Morgan, Dec 30, 2007
  8. donzdorf

    thanatoid Guest

    "donzdorf" <> wrote in

    > Using Windows Vista on Laptop.
    >
    > I used to be able to list all my files in a folder to a
    > text file using win98.
    >
    > How do I do that with windows vista? Thanks Ray

    We'll all know how to fly before fucking MS decides a person
    should be able to print (or save to file) a directory's
    contents.

    The simplest way I know is to use ACDSee, an image viewer. I
    have NO idea what the idiots that make it have done in the
    super-bloat versions of the last 7 years or so, but in an early
    version I use Ctl-G saves all the contents of the directory (in
    same order /as viewed in/ ACDSee, i.e. if you want alphabetical,
    or by size, display it that way) to a txt file in Windows\temp.

    Or you can get one of many "directory printers". I like the one
    on this page:

    http://www.galcott.com

    --
    The only cure for stupidity is death.
    The only cure for brilliance is death.

    thanatoid, Dec 30, 2007
  9. donzdorf

    Lookout Guest

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 09:31:01 -0800, wrote:

    > "donzdorf" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Using Windows Vista on Laptop.
    >>
    >>I used to be able to list all my files in a folder to a text file using
    >>win98.
    >>
    >>How do I do that with windows vista? Thanks Ray

    >You can use Karen's Directory Printer (it also saves as a file)
    >http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

    A nifty little program

    Lookout, Dec 30, 2007
  10. donzdorf

    VanguardLH Guest

    "donzdorf" wrote in message news:...
    > Using Windows Vista on Laptop.
    >
    > I used to be able to list all my files in a folder to a text file
    > using win98.
    >
    > How do I do that with windows vista? Thanks Ray

    Open a command prompt (DOS shell) and enter "tree /?" to get help on
    using that program.

    VanguardLH, Dec 30, 2007
  11. donzdorf

    chuckcar Guest

    G. Morgan <> wrote in

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >

    >>same as the only way that one should: with dos. Which by the way has
    >>*not* been made obsolete, as dos is an acronym for Disk Operating
    >>System, not a command shell.
    >>
    >>start->programs->msdos prompt

    > Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt
    >
    > Or:
    >
    > Start -> Run -> 'cmd' <enter>

    Right. MS does *love* moving things around and changing their names for
    no good reason, don't they.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 31, 2007
  12. donzdorf

    AllanIsKing

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    Messages:
    3
    Directory Report

    Try Directory Report file-utilities.com
    It can print simple reports - file names only
    or detailed reports - filenames and many file attributes

    AllanIsKing, Jul 2, 2009