    newsgroup and when I scanned, it didn't pick it up. I have everything
    updated and haven't made any changes to my system. Is there a site like
    Shields UP that will test your Virus protection?? Thanks!

    Rocky, Nov 6, 2004

  2. Rocky

    Leythos Guest

    In article <Vz8jd.16090$>,
    says...
    > Hello. I have a feeling my virus scanner (Mcafee Virus scan 8.0) isn't
    > working. Everything is loaded and working fine, but I download a virus off a
    > newsgroup and when I scanned, it didn't pick it up. I have everything
    > updated and haven't made any changes to my system. Is there a site like
    > Shields UP that will test your Virus protection?? Thanks!

    I've found that McAfee does little to protect systems. If you didn't
    register on-line with them, then you're not updated properly.

    You might want to try AVG free version, or get Norton Antivirus 2005.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Nov 6, 2004

  3. Rocky

    Ken Guest

    "Rocky" <> wrote in message
    > Hello. I have a feeling my virus scanner (Mcafee Virus scan 8.0)
    > isn't working. Everything is loaded and working fine, but I download
    > a virus off a newsgroup and when I scanned, it didn't pick it up. I
    > have everything updated and haven't made any changes to my system.
    > Is there a site like Shields UP that will test your Virus
    > protection?? Thanks!

    Hey Rocky,
    Add this to your arsenal of anti-spyware, virus detection software,
    it's free. I'm running this through the ringers to test it, so far
    so good. Read up!

    http://www1.prevx.com/prevxhome.asp

    Ken

    Ken, Nov 6, 2004
  4. Rocky

    Rocky Guest

    I'll check it out, thanks. I came upon this site, and downloaded the test
    files, Mcafee flagged them right away, I guess I just keep a clean system,
    that's why I don't get any virus alerts. :)
    http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

    Rocky, Nov 6, 2004
  5. Rocky

    Rodney Kelp Guest

    I think AVG is no longer free. They have a 30 day trial then you have to
    buy. There is another German virus program called AntiVir that is still
    free.

    "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    > In article <Vz8jd.16090$>,
    > says...
    > > Hello. I have a feeling my virus scanner (Mcafee Virus scan 8.0) isn't
    > > working. Everything is loaded and working fine, but I download a virus

    off a
    > > newsgroup and when I scanned, it didn't pick it up. I have everything
    > > updated and haven't made any changes to my system. Is there a site like
    > > Shields UP that will test your Virus protection?? Thanks!

    > I've found that McAfee does little to protect systems. If you didn't
    > register on-line with them, then you're not updated properly.
    >
    > You might want to try AVG free version, or get Norton Antivirus 2005.

    > (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    ---

    Rodney Kelp, Nov 6, 2004
  6. Rocky

    Mike Guest

    Rodney Kelp wrote:
    > I think AVG is no longer free.

    Don't think - Know! They are currently working on a new version for free
    release.

    Visit http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

    Last item on the left hand menu.

    Mike, Nov 6, 2004
  7. Rocky

    Rodney Kelp Guest

    The reason I THINK that is that is all that was offered at their web site.
    But that don't make it law. As of yeaterday there was no free version. I
    think but I don't know. Do you know you will be alive tomorrow? Don't know,
    think it.

    Rodney Kelp, Nov 8, 2004
  8. Rocky

    Eric Guest

    Most antivirus scanner are working fine, just whether they provide false
    alarms or do not have update signatures to pick up new virus. Good antivirus
    software has fast engine, use less memory and provide accurate information
    to catach a real virus. (Just a reminder, every vendors name virus with
    different names)

    You may test several different online virus scanners to see their different.
    http://www.xstudio.ca/pcsupport/security/quickfixes.html#OnlineVirusScan

    Eric, Nov 8, 2004
  9. Rocky

    johns Guest

    How do you know you dl'd a virus? Weird that you
    think you did, but did not detect it. Was it a virus, or
    was it spyware?

    johns

    johns, Nov 8, 2004
  10. Rocky

    Freda Guest

    AVG version support will cease
    BUT a new FREE version will shortly be available
    go to www.grisoft.com and read it for yourself.
    Freda

    --
    Please reply to the list as my email address is a fake

    Freda, Nov 8, 2004
  11. Rocky

    DJ Guest

    Ken wrote:

    > Hey Rocky,
    > Add this to your arsenal of anti-spyware, virus detection software,
    > it's free. I'm running this through the ringers to test it, so far
    > so good. Read up!
    >
    > http://www1.prevx.com/prevxhome.asp
    >
    > Ken

    damn.. don't work with windows server 2003 :(
    that program is also for intruder prevention or not?

    DJ, Nov 11, 2004