How do I know if my Image Stabilizer is working?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by badchess, Jul 11, 2005.

  1. badchess

    badchess Guest

    badchess, Jul 11, 2005

  2. badchess

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >badchess asks ...
    >
    >How do I know if the image stabilizer is working?

    Set a slow shutter speed, say 1/60th sec or so while hand-holding and
    focus by pushing the shutter part way down while you try to hold the
    camera steady. With IS and that lens you should see the image jitter a
    bit and then lock in, and you can probably hear it as well. Try it
    with IS on and off and you'll see a difference.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Jul 11, 2005

  3. "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > >badchess asks ...
    >>
    >>How do I know if the image stabilizer is working?

    > Set a slow shutter speed, say 1/60th sec or so while hand-holding and
    > focus by pushing the shutter part way down while you try to hold the
    > camera steady. With IS and that lens you should see the image jitter a
    > bit and then lock in, and you can probably hear it as well. Try it
    > with IS on and off and you'll see a difference.

    Right. If it is quiet enough you should hear the IS motor running while you
    hold the shutter half-way.
    Dave R knows who, Jul 11, 2005
  4. badchess

    badchess Guest

    Ahhh, cool. I put my ear right on the side of the lens and I could
    hear it. Thanks tons both of you.
    badchess, Jul 11, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    "badchess" <> wrote:
    > I have a zoom lense with Image Stabilizer (see website below) on my
    > Canon EOS20D. I bought the lens used.
    >
    > How do I know if the image stabilizer is working? (other then taking
    > pictures with it on and off, then going home and comparing them)

    BC-

    The IS function only works while the picture-taking button is pressed at
    least half-way down. You normally press the button half way, let the IS
    function activate as you compose your shot, and then press the button the
    rest of the way to take the picture. I'm not sure how long it takes, but
    I'd give it at least a couple of seconds to activate.

    Normally the IS effect is subtle. Try this: While the IS is activated,
    try panning across a scene and suddenly stopping. You should see the
    image in the viewfinder "move" in the direction you were panning, as IS
    tries to stabilize the motion.

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Jul 11, 2005
  6. badchess

    badchess Guest

    Thanks Fred, I'll try that too.
    badchess, Jul 11, 2005
  7. badchess

    missingdata Guest

    badchess wrote:
    > OK, here is a stupid question.
    >
    > I have a zoom lense with Image Stabilizer (see website below) on my
    > Canon EOS20D. I bought the lens used.
    >
    > How do I know if the image stabilizer is working? (other then taking
    > pictures with it on and off, then going home and comparing them)
    >
    > Is there some other way?
    >

    > http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=150&modelid=7344

    Hand-held at 400mm, it should be trivial to visually verify that the
    'shakes' disappear when you half press the shutter.
    missingdata, Jul 11, 2005

  8. > Hand-held at 400mm, it should be trivial to visually verify that the
    > 'shakes' disappear when you half press the shutter.

    Absolutely! I have that lens and it's very easy to detect the IS working
    (just as posted above).
    Charles Schuler, Jul 11, 2005
  9. badchess wrote:
    > Ahhh, cool. I put my ear right on the side of the lens and I could
    > hear it. Thanks tons both of you.

    You might also be able to tell by looking into the lens from the front
    as you press the shutter release - with a strong light source behind you
    to cast refelctions on the lens elements, you may well be able to see
    the movement of the IS elements as you gently shake the camera.

    I've only done this with my old Sony CD1000, where it's easy to see;
    could well be harder with 'real' lenses. And even harder with my new
    Maxxum 7D where it's the sensor that moves...

    Bob ^,,^
    Bob Harrington, Jul 12, 2005
  10. badchess

    badchess Guest

    OK, now that I look carefully I can see it working. I just got a burst
    of paranoia for a second there...

    Thanks all.
    badchess, Jul 12, 2005
  11. "Fred McKenzie" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "badchess" <> wrote:
    >> I have a zoom lense with Image Stabilizer (see website below) on my
    >> Canon EOS20D. I bought the lens used.
    >>
    >> How do I know if the image stabilizer is working? (other then taking
    >> pictures with it on and off, then going home and comparing them)

    > BC-
    >
    > The IS function only works while the picture-taking button is pressed at
    > least half-way down. You normally press the button half way, let the IS
    > function activate as you compose your shot, and then press the button the
    > rest of the way to take the picture. I'm not sure how long it takes, but
    > I'd give it at least a couple of seconds to activate.
    >
    > Normally the IS effect is subtle. Try this: While the IS is activated,
    > try panning across a scene and suddenly stopping. You should see the
    > image in the viewfinder "move" in the direction you were panning, as IS
    > tries to stabilize the motion.
    >
    > Fred

    I understand from Canon technical notes the typical IS start-up time is 0.5
    Sec....
    Lester Wareham, Jul 13, 2005