How do I know if I have USB 2??

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, May 19, 2005.

  1. In article <udVie.1168$>, wrote:
    >Andrew wrote:
    >
    >> Ada wrote:
    >>
    >>> Been looking to see if I have USB 2 on my computer. How do I find this
    >>> out? I have had a look around in DEVICE MANAGER / SYSTEM in CONTROL
    >>> PANEL. And whilst my USB devices are show they do not indicate as to
    >>> what USB mode they are. I am looking at hooking up a USB Video Capture
    >>> devce and need USB2 to make it worth while
    >>> Thanks

    >> If you know what make/model motherboard you have you can look up the
    >> specifications on the manufacturers site
    >>
    >> Or if you still have the motherboard manual it will tell you in there

    >AND
    >without crawling under my desk, ripping out all the cables etc LOL..
    >taking off the lid, and trying to find MO-BOARD details.. is there an
    >easier way to find the Mo-Board info out??

    Idle aside ... if you plug in a USB2 compliant device (eg one of those USB2
    flash drives) doesn't it tell you if it's USB 2 or not ?

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, May 19, 2005

  2. In article <>, Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >> Idle aside ... if you plug in a USB2 compliant device (eg one of those USB2
    >> flash drives) doesn't it tell you if it's USB 2 or not ?

    >It may, but more likely the device will step-down to USB 1.1, and
    >continue on (more slowly) as if nothing had happened...

    ... thus proving (if you knew it was USB2) that the puter didn't have it I
    would have thought ... or am I missing something ? :)

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, May 19, 2005

  3. In article <428c2af4$>, Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:
    >Hi there,
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <>, Chris Wilkinson

    > <> wrote:
    >> (snip)

    >>>It may, but more likely the device will step-down to USB 1.1, and
    >>>continue on (more slowly) as if nothing had happened...

    >> .. thus proving (if you knew it was USB2) that the puter didn't have it I
    >> would have thought ... or am I missing something ? :)

    >That would only prove that USB was working. I think *all* USB2 devices
    >and controllers are downwards compatible with USB 1.1 ones, so if you
    >plug a USB2-able key into a USB1.1 controller it will just work at the
    >slower speed...

    Yeah ... but doesn't the windows pop up tell you whether it's a USB or a USB
    2 device ? I thought I had seen this behaviour.

    >As to finding out how fast the USB controller is, without pulling apart
    >the PC, I'm paketewhaino... :)

    I thought that was buckettewhanao ?

    You live and learn ... well some of us do :)

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

    Ada, May 19, 2005
  5. Bruce Sinclair

    Andrew Guest

    Andrew, May 19, 2005
  6. Bruce Sinclair

    Ada Guest

    Ada, May 19, 2005
  7. Bruce Sinclair

    Andrew Guest

    Ada wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >
    >> Ada wrote:
    >>
    >>> Been looking to see if I have USB 2 on my computer. How do I find
    >>> this out? I have had a look around in DEVICE MANAGER / SYSTEM in
    >>> CONTROL PANEL. And whilst my USB devices are show they do not
    >>> indicate as to what USB mode they are. I am looking at hooking up a
    >>> USB Video Capture devce and need USB2 to make it worth while
    >>> Thanks

    >> If you know what make/model motherboard you have you can look up the
    >> specifications on the manufacturers site
    >>
    >> Or if you still have the motherboard manual it will tell you in there

    > AND
    > without crawling under my desk, ripping out all the cables etc LOL..
    > taking off the lid, and trying to find MO-BOARD details.. is there an
    > easier way to find the Mo-Board info out??

    try this:

    http://www.hwinfo.com/
    Andrew, May 19, 2005
  8. Bruce Sinclair

    Ada Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    > Ada wrote:
    >
    >> Andrew wrote:

    >>> If you know what make/model motherboard you have you can look up the
    >>> specifications on the manufacturers site
    >>>
    >>> Or if you still have the motherboard manual it will tell you in there

    >> AND
    >> without crawling under my desk, ripping out all the cables etc LOL..
    >> taking off the lid, and trying to find MO-BOARD details.. is there an
    >> easier way to find the Mo-Board info out??

    > try this:
    >
    > http://www.hwinfo.com/

    Thanks.. all sorted
    Ada, May 19, 2005
  9. Hi there,

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, May 19, 2005
  10. Hi there,

    Chris Wilkinson, May 19, 2005
  11. Hi there,

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <428c2af4$>, Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <>, Chris Wilkinson

    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>(snip)

    >>>.. thus proving (if you knew it was USB2) that the puter didn't have it I
    >>>would have thought ... or am I missing something ? :)

    >>That would only prove that USB was working. I think *all* USB2 devices
    >>and controllers are downwards compatible with USB 1.1 ones, so if you
    >>plug a USB2-able key into a USB1.1 controller it will just work at the
    >>slower speed...

    > Yeah ... but doesn't the windows pop up tell you whether it's a USB or a USB
    > 2 device ? I thought I had seen this behaviour.
    >

    >>As to finding out how fast the USB controller is, without pulling apart
    >>the PC, I'm paketewhaino... :)

    > I thought that was buckettewhanao ?
    >
    > You live and learn ... well some of us do :)

    Old Billy T skit...newsreader Abe Paketewhaino, who read 'Te news'...

    :)

    Chris Wilkinson, May 19, 2005
  12. Bruce Sinclair

    CSE Guest

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 17:07:24 +1200, Ada <> wrote:

    >Been looking to see if I have USB 2 on my computer. How do I find this
    >out? I have had a look around in DEVICE MANAGER / SYSTEM in CONTROL
    >PANEL. And whilst my USB devices are show they do not indicate as to
    >what USB mode they are. I am looking at hooking up a USB Video Capture
    >devce and need USB2 to make it worth while
    >Thanks

    Look up the Specs..
    CSE, May 19, 2005
  13. Bruce Sinclair

    Ron McNulty Guest

    Hi Ada

    The listing for my laptop in Device Manager definitely says USB 2.0 Enhanced
    Host. If you don't see something similar, it is likely to be USB 1.0

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, May 19, 2005
  14. Bruce Sinclair

    Mercury Guest

    Some only show USB 2 Enhanced when a USB 2 device is plugged in.

    Mercury, May 19, 2005
  15. Bruce Sinclair

    bambam Guest

    Ada <> wrote in news:iaVie.1164$U4.150875
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > Been looking to see if I have USB 2 on my computer. How do I find this
    > out? I have had a look around in DEVICE MANAGER / SYSTEM in CONTROL
    > PANEL. And whilst my USB devices are show they do not indicate as to
    > what USB mode they are. I am looking at hooking up a USB Video Capture
    > devce and need USB2 to make it worth while
    > Thanks

    I see you have plenty of answers, here's one more-

    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm
    bambam, May 19, 2005