How do I go about disabling the error console in firefox?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Ross M. Greenberg, Feb 11, 2008.

  1. How do I go about disabling the error console in Firefox?

    Ross M. Greenberg, Feb 11, 2008

  2. Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
    > How do I go about disabling the error console in Firefox?

    you really can't disable it, but, you can remove it from
    your view. Put the following script in the userChrome.css file:

    menuitem[label="Error Console"] {display: none !important;}

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Feb 11, 2008

  3. Ross M. Greenberg

    dillinger Guest

    Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
    > How do I go about disabling the error console in Firefox?

    Why would you want to do that?
    Anyway, to remove it from the menu add

    /* Disable the error console */
    #javascriptConsole {display: none !important}

    to your userChrome.css

    Michel

    dillinger, Feb 12, 2008

    try running this: http://ramnet.net/dom3.htm and add a row/column or so... the error console pops up even though it does not running the same ..htm in IE 7.

    Ross M. Greenberg, Feb 12, 2008
  5. Ross M. Greenberg

    dillinger Guest

    Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
    > "dillinger" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
    >>> How do I go about disabling the error console in Firefox?

    >> Why would you want to do that?
    >> Anyway, to remove it from the menu add
    >>
    >> /* Disable the error console */
    >> #javascriptConsole {display: none !important}
    >>
    >> to your userChrome.css
    >>
    >> Michel

    > try running this: http://ramnet.net/dom3.htm and add a row/column or so... the error console pops up even though it does not running the same .htm in IE 7.

    I see, those links are broken, malformed, whatever you want to call it.
    "javascript:" (no quotes) starts the error console, try typing it in the
    url bar, I don't think it should be possible to start it from a web
    page, it may even be a security problem.
    I don't know of another way to stop it than by turning of javascript,
    which kind of defeats the purpose.
    Fwiw, it doesn't happen on Minefield (Firefox 3), so it may (will?) be
    fixed in the future.

    Michel

    dillinger, Feb 13, 2008
  6. "dillinger" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
    >>> Why would you want to do that?
    >>> Anyway, to remove it from the menu add
    >>>
    >>> /* Disable the error console */
    >>> #javascriptConsole {display: none !important}
    >>>
    >>> to your userChrome.css
    >>>
    >>> Michel

    >> try running this: http://ramnet.net/dom3.htm and add a row/column or so... the error console pops up even though it does not running the same ..htm in IE 7.

    > I see, those links are broken, malformed, whatever you want to call it.
    > "javascript:" (no quotes) starts the error console, try typing it in the
    > url bar, I don't think it should be possible to start it from a web
    > page, it may even be a security problem.
    > I don't know of another way to stop it than by turning of javascript,
    > which kind of defeats the purpose.
    > Fwiw, it doesn't happen on Minefield (Firefox 3), so it may (will?) be
    > fixed in the future.
    >
    > Michel

    \

    And it works in Opera, too.....just not in FF or IE!!

    Ross M. Greenberg, Feb 14, 2008
  7. >> try running this: http://ramnet.net/dom3.htm and add a row/column or so... the >>error console pops up even though it does not running the same .htm in IE 7.

    > I see, those links are broken, malformed, whatever you want to call it.
    > "javascript:" (no quotes) starts the error console, try typing it in the

    Following your advice, I modified the links as you indicated. Now it appears to function properly and the error console is no longer showing up.

    In Firefox and Opera. Not, however, in Internet Explorer 7.

    Any idea why not?

    Thanks!

    Ross

    Ross M. Greenberg, Feb 17, 2008
  8. Ross M. Greenberg

    dillinger Guest

    Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
    >>> try running this: http://ramnet.net/dom3.htm and add a row/column or so... the >>error console pops up even though it does not running the same .htm in IE 7.

    >> I see, those links are broken, malformed, whatever you want to call it.
    >> "javascript:" (no quotes) starts the error console, try typing it in the
    >>

    > Following your advice, I modified the links as you indicated. Now it appears to function properly and the error console is no longer showing up.
    >
    > In Firefox and Opera. Not, however, in Internet Explorer 7.
    >
    > Any idea why not?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Ross

    IE gives you an error:
    Line: 81
    Char: 3
    Error: Object doesn't support this property or method

    IE apparently does not support addEventListener,
    it uses attachEvent instead.
    http://www.quirksmode.org/js/events_advanced.html
    gives a more detailed explanation.

    What you can do about it is rewrite the page to act differently upon
    detecting different browsers.

    Michel

    dillinger, Feb 20, 2008
  9. Ross M. Greenberg

    willeifler

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Getting rid of error console

    I've been trying to get rid of the error console popping up all the time for some time now - it would open every time I opened Firefox, considerably slowing down startup. I disabled all of my add-ons and re-enabled them until I came upon the problem. I found out that I had two different mouse-gestures add-ons installed, causing a conflict which made it open all the time. I'd recommend disabling all of your addons and re-enabling them one by one just to check if that's the problem. :)

    willeifler, Oct 17, 2008
  10. Ross M. Greenberg

    RuzzT

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Two Gesture Addons Installed

    Thanks willeifler. Your fix worked for me.

    Both FireGestures and Mouse Gestures Redox addons were installed. I uninstalled FireGestures from the Addon screen and restarted Firefox 3.0
    No more annoying Error Console every start up.
    Thanks again. It had been annoying me for weeks.

    RuzzT, Dec 2, 2008
  11. Ross M. Greenberg

    ShortTom

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    I registered just to say thank you.

    Badabing Badaboom. EXACTLY the cause of my several months long irritation with the Firefox 3 error console. Mouse Gestures Redox and FireGestures create a problem that opens the error console with almost every page load. FireGestures uninstalled, no problemos.

    Thanks Ruzz and willeifler. A LOT. :veryprou:

    ShortTom, Dec 29, 2008