    ideas?

    BTW, I have WinXP Home.

    Thanks!

    Henrik, Sep 4, 2004

  2. Henrik

    Pennywise Guest

    On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 19:30:07 -0700, "Henrik" <>
    wrote:

    |>I was experimenting around and I think I deselected "always show taskbar on
    |>top." Well, now its gone and I cannot see how to get it back. I cannot find
    |>the START button and I cannot right-click where the taskbar used to be in
    |>order to "reselect" it back on top.
    |>
    |>I know this is probably a very simple fix, but for now it is eluding me. Any
    |>ideas?

    Run Taskmgr

    Pennywise, Sep 4, 2004

  3. Henrik

    Pennywise Guest

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 20:13:32 -0700, Pennywise <>
    wrote:

    |>Run Taskmgr

    Darn I gotta read these things better.

    Taskbar not taskmanager got it.

    This was addressed earlier, No fix as of yet, reboot.

    Pennywise, Sep 4, 2004
  4. Henrik

    Henrik Guest

    "Pennywise" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 20:13:32 -0700, Pennywise <>
    > wrote:

    taskbar on

    find

    in

    me. Any

    > |>Run Taskmgr
    >
    > Darn I gotta read these things better.
    >
    > Taskbar not taskmanager got it.
    >
    > This was addressed earlier, No fix as of yet, reboot.

    I have rebooted and it doesn't fix the problem. I still do not have the
    taskbar.

    Henrik, Sep 4, 2004
  5. Henrik

    Pennywise Guest

    On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 20:27:26 -0700, "Henrik" <>
    wrote:

    |>"Pennywise" <> wrote in message

    |>taskbar on
    |>find
    |>in

    |>me. Any

    |>> Darn I gotta read these things better.
    |>>
    |>> Taskbar not taskmanager got it.
    |>>
    |>> This was addressed earlier, No fix as of yet, reboot.
    |>
    |>I have rebooted and it doesn't fix the problem. I still do not have the
    |>taskbar.

    Still didn't understand did I :)

    Take you mouse and go to the bottom of the screen (or where ever your
    bar is suppose to be) When it turns into an arrow left click and drag
    it back into place.

    Pennywise, Sep 4, 2004
  6. Henrik

    Henrik Guest

    "Pennywise" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 20:27:26 -0700, "Henrik" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > |>"Pennywise" <> wrote in message

    > |>taskbar on

    cannot
    > |>find

    to be
    > |>in

    eluding
    > |>me. Any

    > |>I have rebooted and it doesn't fix the problem. I still do not have the
    > |>taskbar.
    > |>

    > Still didn't understand did I :)
    >
    > Take you mouse and go to the bottom of the screen (or where ever your
    > bar is suppose to be) When it turns into an arrow left click and drag
    > it back into place.

    It doesn't turn into the arrow to allow me to do so. It is as if nothing is
    there. It is completely gone. But, if I right-click in the space where it
    used to be then it doesn't even give me my option menu. It is acting as if
    the whole area is dead.

    Henrik, Sep 4, 2004
  7. Henrik

    Pennywise Guest

    On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 20:50:03 -0700, "Henrik" <>
    wrote:

    |>> Take you mouse and go to the bottom of the screen (or where ever your
    |>> bar is suppose to be) When it turns into an arrow left click and drag
    |>> it back into place.
    |>
    |>It doesn't turn into the arrow to allow me to do so. It is as if nothing is
    |>there. It is completely gone. But, if I right-click in the space where it
    |>used to be then it doesn't even give me my option menu. It is acting as if
    |>the whole area is dead.

    Ahh.. shoot.

    Try this: press your Win key (it's got a flag on it) this will drop
    down/up the menu.
    settings > taskbar and start menu
    see if it's locked, unlock it and see if that works.

    You might also have your bar elsewhere with your mouse check all four
    sides of you monitor and look for that arrow.

    After that I'm out of suggestions and I've had my fair share...

    Pennywise, Sep 4, 2004
  8. Henrik

    SonoranDude Guest

    I'm not a rocket scientist but have you tried pressing the Windows Key on
    your keyboard?
    If your task bar is still around or hidden off the screen that should shoot
    your start menu out into the open. The Windows key is the little flag icon
    between your Ctrl and Alt key near the space bar. Once you know where it
    disappeared to you can try and grab it and pull it back up

    SonoranDude, Sep 4, 2004
  9. Henrik

    Stevo Guest

    Henrik wrote:
    > I was experimenting around and I think I deselected "always show
    > taskbar on top." Well, now its gone and I cannot see how to get it
    > back. I cannot find the START button and I cannot right-click where
    > the taskbar used to be in order to "reselect" it back on top.
    >
    > I know this is probably a very simple fix, but for now it is eluding
    > me. Any ideas?
    >
    > BTW, I have WinXP Home.
    >
    > Thanks!

    If you have a 'Windows' button on your keyboard, use that to activate the
    start menu, then go to Settings | Control Panel and you can access the Start
    Menu/Taskbar stuff there..

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

    Stevo, Sep 4, 2004
  10. Henrik

    Henrik Guest

    "SonoranDude" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not a rocket scientist but have you tried pressing the Windows Key on
    > your keyboard?
    > If your task bar is still around or hidden off the screen that should

    shoot
    > your start menu out into the open. The Windows key is the little flag icon
    > between your Ctrl and Alt key near the space bar. Once you know where it
    > disappeared to you can try and grab it and pull it back up

    Yes, I know about the Windows key and I tried that as one of my first
    options. It does absolutely nothing. I am fairly savvy with computers, but
    this one has me perplexed.

    Henrik, Sep 4, 2004
  11. Henrik

    SonoranDude Guest

    > Yes, I know about the Windows key and I tried that as one of my first
    > options. It does absolutely nothing. I am fairly savvy with computers, but
    > this one has me perplexed.

    That's a bummer I wasn't sure on if you knew that one... What about screen
    resolution? change it down to 640x480? switch to Windows Extra Large Scheme?
    You can run restore to get it back for sure... Win XP.

    SonoranDude, Sep 4, 2004
  12. Henrik

    > > Yes, I know about the Windows key and I tried that as one of my first
    > > options. It does absolutely nothing. I am fairly savvy with computers,

    but
    > > this one has me perplexed.
    > >

    > That's a bummer I wasn't sure on if you knew that one... What about

    screen
    > resolution? change it down to 640x480? switch to Windows Extra Large

    Scheme?
    > You can run restore to get it back for sure... Win XP.

    Negative. It is completely gone. I don't want to restore my system to the
    last restore point I have. I'd rather reinstall windows if I'm going to go
    through that hassle.

    Henrik, Sep 4, 2004
  13. Henrik

    Henrik Guest

    "Stevo" <> wrote in message
    > Henrik wrote:
    > > I was experimenting around and I think I deselected "always show
    > > taskbar on top." Well, now its gone and I cannot see how to get it
    > > back. I cannot find the START button and I cannot right-click where
    > > the taskbar used to be in order to "reselect" it back on top.
    > >
    > > I know this is probably a very simple fix, but for now it is eluding
    > > me. Any ideas?
    > >
    > > BTW, I have WinXP Home.
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    > If you have a 'Windows' button on your keyboard, use that to activate the
    > start menu, then go to Settings | Control Panel and you can access the

    Start
    > Menu/Taskbar stuff there..
    >
    > --
    > Stevo

    The Windows button does absolutely nothing. I cannot, for the life of me,
    find the START button. Do you know of another way to get to the control
    panel?

    Henrik, Sep 4, 2004
  14. Henrik

    Stevo Guest

    Henrik wrote:
    > "Stevo" <> wrote in message
    >> Henrik wrote:
    >>> I was experimenting around and I think I deselected "always show
    >>> taskbar on top." Well, now its gone and I cannot see how to get it
    >>> back. I cannot find the START button and I cannot right-click where
    >>> the taskbar used to be in order to "reselect" it back on top.
    >>>
    >>> I know this is probably a very simple fix, but for now it is eluding
    >>> me. Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> BTW, I have WinXP Home.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

    >> If you have a 'Windows' button on your keyboard, use that to
    >> activate the start menu, then go to Settings | Control Panel and you
    >> can access the Start Menu/Taskbar stuff there..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Stevo

    > The Windows button does absolutely nothing. I cannot, for the life of
    > me, find the START button. Do you know of another way to get to the
    > control panel?

    If you have Windows Explorer or My Computer as an icon on your desktop, you
    might be able to find the applet (possibly a .cpl file) - probably in
    Windows\System32..

    Stevo, Sep 4, 2004
  15. Henrik

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "SonoranDude"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm not a rocket scientist but have you tried pressing the Windows Key on
    >your keyboard?

    Why do people start off by mentioning that they're not in a completely
    unrelated field?

    Imagine if you were sitting in a restaurant and asked the waiter if he'd
    recommend the steak or the lobster and he said "I'm not a urologist, but
    I'd go with the steak"

    Would you order the steak?

    --
    "Gee, Bill what do you want to do tonight?"
    "The same thing we do every night Steve. Try to take over the world!"

    DevilsPGD, Sep 4, 2004
  16. Henrik

    Unk Guest

    On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 19:30:07 -0700, "Henrik" <> wrote:

    >I was experimenting around and I think I deselected "always show taskbar on
    >top." Well, now its gone and I cannot see how to get it back. I cannot find
    >the START button and I cannot right-click where the taskbar used to be in
    >order to "reselect" it back on top.
    >
    >I know this is probably a very simple fix, but for now it is eluding me. Any
    >ideas?
    >
    >BTW, I have WinXP Home.
    >
    >Thanks!

    Press Cntrl and hit Esc.
    That SHOULD bring up the Start menu...

    Unk, Sep 4, 2004
  17. Henrik

    Dean C Guest

    Simultaneously hit CTL-ESC - the start menu should come up. If it doesn't
    let us know.

    Maybe you've auto-hidden the taskbar by accident.

    Dean C, Sep 4, 2004
  18. Henrik

    Robin Hood Guest

    "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 19:30:07 -0700, "Henrik" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I was experimenting around and I think I deselected "always show taskbar
    >>on
    >>top." Well, now its gone and I cannot see how to get it back. I cannot
    >>find
    >>the START button and I cannot right-click where the taskbar used to be in
    >>order to "reselect" it back on top.
    >>
    >>I know this is probably a very simple fix, but for now it is eluding me.
    >>Any
    >>ideas?
    >>
    >>BTW, I have WinXP Home.
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >>

    > Press Cntrl and hit Esc.
    > That SHOULD bring up the Start menu...

    OK try this.

    Restart the PC as it starts to boot keep pressing F8. This should bring up a
    menu. It is a bit different to win98 etc but it does allow you to select
    safe mode.

    In safe mode you should have a task bar. If not you really do have a problem
    rather than a bad setting.

    If you have a task bar you can now easily check the settings.

    Often just going into safe mode corrects some problems so that when
    restarting normally the problem has gone away.

    Robin Hood, Sep 4, 2004
  19. Henrik

    Henrik Guest

    "Dean C" <> wrote in message
    > Simultaneously hit CTL-ESC - the start menu should come up. If it doesn't
    > let us know.
    >
    > Maybe you've auto-hidden the taskbar by accident.

    CTRL-ESC does not bring up the START menu, nor does it do anything else. I
    have to switch programs with ALT-TAB (which works) since I don't have a
    taskbar to select from.

    Henrik, Sep 4, 2004
  20. Henrik

    Henrik Guest

    > OK try this.
    >
    > Restart the PC as it starts to boot keep pressing F8. This should bring up

    > menu. It is a bit different to win98 etc but it does allow you to select
    > safe mode.
    >
    > In safe mode you should have a task bar. If not you really do have a

    problem
    > rather than a bad setting.
    >
    > If you have a task bar you can now easily check the settings.
    >
    > Often just going into safe mode corrects some problems so that when
    > restarting normally the problem has gone away.

    I booted into SAFE MODE and my taskbar was there. I right-clicked the START
    button to check the settings and it looked fine. I think what I accidentally
    did was check "auto-hide the taskbar" just to see how it would function
    (perhaps I would like it).
    But, in SAFE MODE this isn't checked. I am almost positive I checked it and
    this is why I am having trouble.

    So, even though all looks fine in SAFE MODE, when I boot into normal mode
    the taskbar still is not there.

    Henrik, Sep 4, 2004