How do I get System Restore to actually work on our computers?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Grandpa Chuck, May 28, 2006.

  1. We have three computers that we use. Two have different versions of
    XP-Professional and one has XP-Home Edition.

    I have tried on numerous occasions to use the System Restore feature in
    tools and have never had it make any change at all. At one time when I
    had the desktop with XP-H exactly as I wanted it I went in and
    established a restore point. About five weeks later I decided to use it.
    That point was in late November or early December of 2005. I attempted
    to utilize it in January 2006. In System Restore it would not allow me
    to go back any further than January 1, 2006. Also, it would not make any
    changes if I asked it to restore the computer to any of the highlighted
    dated in System Restore - not even one day prior.

    Is there some hidden trick to using this thing or is it just another
    Microsoft ploy be lull us into being complacent?

    Thanks friends.

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Grandpa Chuck, May 28, 2006

  2. Grandpa Chuck

    Margolotta Guest

    On Sun, 28 May 2006 23:42:30 +0100, Grandpa Chuck wrote
    (in article <qHpeg.7199$1i1.4536@attbi_s72>):

    > We have three computers that we use. Two have different versions of
    > XP-Professional and one has XP-Home Edition.
    >
    > I have tried on numerous occasions to use the System Restore feature in
    > tools and have never had it make any change at all. At one time when I
    > had the desktop with XP-H exactly as I wanted it I went in and
    > established a restore point. About five weeks later I decided to use it.
    > That point was in late November or early December of 2005. I attempted
    > to utilize it in January 2006. In System Restore it would not allow me
    > to go back any further than January 1, 2006. Also, it would not make any
    > changes if I asked it to restore the computer to any of the highlighted
    > dated in System Restore - not even one day prior.
    >
    > Is there some hidden trick to using this thing or is it just another
    > Microsoft ploy be lull us into being complacent?
    >
    > Thanks friends.

    System Restore only stores changes made to *SYSTEM* files. It does NOT have
    any effect on changes made to personal files. The number of points that SR
    keeps is disc space-dependent and the maximum amount of time they're kept for
    anyway is 90 days. You don't say how much into January you attempted to
    utilise it, but you obviously only had enough space for n number of points
    and the older ones had been purged when you ran disc clean-up or whatever.

    If SR isn't working, then the only thing to do is to turn it off and back on
    again. Obviously this will lose you all points (but, if they're not working
    anyway, then it's not exactly a great loss) but it should deal with any
    corruption.

    DO NOT attempt to restore if your system is infected with a
    virus/spyware/malware. If you have it set to make daily points, then the
    virus will be backed up and you'll simply re-infect the system.

    Margolotta, May 29, 2006

  3. Grandpa Chuck

    Gaoler Guest

    Margolotta wrote:

    > System Restore only stores changes made to *SYSTEM* files. It does NOT have
    > any effect on changes made to personal files. The number of points that SR
    > keeps is disc space-dependent and the maximum amount of time they're kept for
    > anyway is 90 days. You don't say how much into January you attempted to
    > utilise it, but you obviously only had enough space for n number of points
    > and the older ones had been purged when you ran disc clean-up or whatever.
    >
    > If SR isn't working, then the only thing to do is to turn it off and back on
    > again. Obviously this will lose you all points (but, if they're not working
    > anyway, then it's not exactly a great loss) but it should deal with any
    > corruption.
    >
    > DO NOT attempt to restore if your system is infected with a
    > virus/spyware/malware. If you have it set to make daily points, then the
    > virus will be backed up and you'll simply re-infect the system.

    This is not what one would expect to hear from a used douche bag with an
    anal fixation.

    Gaoler, May 29, 2006
  4. Margolotta wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 May 2006 23:42:30 +0100, Grandpa Chuck wrote
    > (in article <qHpeg.7199$1i1.4536@attbi_s72>):
    >
    >> We have three computers that we use. Two have different versions of
    >> XP-Professional and one has XP-Home Edition.
    >>
    >> I have tried on numerous occasions to use the System Restore feature in
    >> tools and have never had it make any change at all. At one time when I
    >> had the desktop with XP-H exactly as I wanted it I went in and
    >> established a restore point. About five weeks later I decided to use it.
    >> That point was in late November or early December of 2005. I attempted
    >> to utilize it in January 2006. In System Restore it would not allow me
    >> to go back any further than January 1, 2006. Also, it would not make any
    >> changes if I asked it to restore the computer to any of the highlighted
    >> dated in System Restore - not even one day prior.
    >>
    >> Is there some hidden trick to using this thing or is it just another
    >> Microsoft ploy be lull us into being complacent?
    >>
    >> Thanks friends.
    >>

    > System Restore only stores changes made to *SYSTEM* files.

    With the latest one today all I wanted to do was restore it to the
    Windows default setting of the taskbar. Wouldn't that be one of the
    things stored?

    >It does NOT have
    > any effect on changes made to personal files. The number of points that SR
    > keeps is disc space-dependent and the maximum amount of time they're kept for
    > anyway is 90 days. You don't say how much into January you attempted to
    > utilise it, but you obviously only had enough space for n number of points
    > and the older ones had been purged when you ran disc clean-up or whatever.

    Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "n number of points"?

    > If SR isn't working, then the only thing to do is to turn it off and back on
    > again. Obviously this will lose you all points (but, if they're not working
    > anyway, then it's not exactly a great loss) but it should deal with any
    > corruption.
    >
    > DO NOT attempt to restore if your system is infected with a
    > virus/spyware/malware.

    I have antivirus, antispyware, etc programs running all of the time and
    they are updated every day.

    > If you have it set to make daily points,

    You just lost me again. What are "daily points"?

    >then the
    > virus will be backed up and you'll simply re-infect the system.

    Thank you.

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Grandpa Chuck, May 29, 2006
  5. Grandpa Chuck

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:FOreg.7341$1i1.7201@attbi_s72,
    Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:

    > Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "n number of
    > points"?

    "X" number of points. You have only so much memory allocated on the hard
    drive. That amount of memory can hold "X" number of restore points,
    depending on how much space each restore point requires. Simple math. If
    your computer requires 500 megabytes (low estimate, by the way), and you
    have 500 megabytes allocated hard drive space, you can have "1" system
    restore point. Double the hard drive space, you have "2" system restore
    points. Quadruple the hard drive space, you can have "4" system restore
    points.

    > You just lost me again. What are "daily points"?

    "Daily points" was meant to refer to having the system create a new system
    restore point every day. So if your hard drive has room for 8 system restore
    points, you can only go back 8 days.

    Personally, I've seldom found the system restore to be very helpful.

    --
    I always finish what I sta

    Toolman Tim, May 29, 2006
  6. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:FOreg.7341$1i1.7201@attbi_s72,
    > Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:
    >> Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "n number of
    >> points"?

    > "X" number of points. You have only so much memory allocated on the hard
    > drive. That amount of memory can hold "X" number of restore points,
    > depending on how much space each restore point requires. Simple math. If
    > your computer requires 500 megabytes (low estimate, by the way), and you
    > have 500 megabytes allocated hard drive space, you can have "1" system
    > restore point. Double the hard drive space, you have "2" system restore
    > points. Quadruple the hard drive space, you can have "4" system restore
    > points.

    How do I adjust the amount of space allowed?

    >> You just lost me again. What are "daily points"?
    >>

    > "Daily points" was meant to refer to having the system create a new system
    > restore point every day. So if your hard drive has room for 8 system restore
    > points, you can only go back 8 days.
    >
    > Personally, I've seldom found the system restore to be very helpful.

    Kind of what I figured.

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    The following information is given with the utmost respect
    for the armed forces and civilians who have died in the
    current war in Iraq. According to http://icasualties.org/oif/
    The number of Americans killed in Iraq as of May 26, 2006 is 2,464.
    Americans wounded = more than 17,869
    United Kingdom = 111
    Other = 111
    In January through March over 3800 Iraqi civilians were killed.
    Most of them by the so-called insurgents.
    7Today, May 28, 2006 it has been 1124 days since Bush declared,
    "Mission Accomplished in Iraq."
    Some people still believe what he says.

    Grandpa Chuck, May 29, 2006
  7. Grandpa Chuck

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:edseg.7247$No1.2109@attbi_s71,
    Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> In news:FOreg.7341$1i1.7201@attbi_s72,
    >> Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:
    >>> Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "n number of
    >>> points"?

    >> "X" number of points. You have only so much memory allocated on the
    >> hard drive.

    > How do I adjust the amount of space allowed?

    System properties (right-click My Computer, select properties). Click on the
    System Restore tab. There's a slider there. That is also the easiest place
    to turn it on or off. If it hasn't been working, it's usually fixed by
    turning it off, then turning it back on.

    --
    I always finish what I sta

    Toolman Tim, May 29, 2006
  8. Grandpa Chuck

    Ron Martell Guest

    Grandpa Chuck <> wrote:

    >We have three computers that we use. Two have different versions of
    >XP-Professional and one has XP-Home Edition.
    >
    >I have tried on numerous occasions to use the System Restore feature in
    >tools and have never had it make any change at all. At one time when I
    >had the desktop with XP-H exactly as I wanted it I went in and
    >established a restore point. About five weeks later I decided to use it.
    >That point was in late November or early December of 2005. I attempted
    >to utilize it in January 2006. In System Restore it would not allow me
    >to go back any further than January 1, 2006. Also, it would not make any
    >changes if I asked it to restore the computer to any of the highlighted
    >dated in System Restore - not even one day prior.
    >
    >Is there some hidden trick to using this thing or is it just another
    >Microsoft ploy be lull us into being complacent?
    >
    >Thanks friends.

    System Restore should not be used to go back more than a week or
    perhaps 10 days at the most. Going back any further will likely
    cause more problems than it ever solves.

    The ideal usage for System Restore is to go back to "yesterday, just
    before I installed the latest version of suppercrappola" or similar.

    See MVP Bert Kinney's System Restore pages:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, May 29, 2006
  9. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:edseg.7247$No1.2109@attbi_s71,
    > Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>> In news:FOreg.7341$1i1.7201@attbi_s72,
    >>> Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:
    >>> "X" number of points. You have only so much memory allocated on the
    >>> hard drive.

    >> How do I adjust the amount of space allowed?
    >>

    > System properties (right-click My Computer, select properties). Click on the
    > System Restore tab. There's a slider there. That is also the easiest place
    > to turn it on or off. If it hasn't been working, it's usually fixed by
    > turning it off, then turning it back on.

    Thank Tim.
    I checked it on this computer and the desktop p.c.
    They are both set at the maximum.
    Now that I know more about what System Restore is designed to do, I know
    better than to expect it to work miracles.

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Grandpa Chuck, May 29, 2006
  10. Ron Martell wrote:
    > Grandpa Chuck <> wrote:
    >
    >> We have three computers that we use. Two have different versions of
    >> XP-Professional and one has XP-Home Edition.
    >>
    >> I have tried on numerous occasions to use the System Restore feature in
    >> tools and have never had it make any change at all. At one time when I
    >> had the desktop with XP-H exactly as I wanted it I went in and
    >> established a restore point. About five weeks later I decided to use it.
    >> That point was in late November or early December of 2005. I attempted
    >> to utilize it in January 2006. In System Restore it would not allow me
    >> to go back any further than January 1, 2006. Also, it would not make any
    >> changes if I asked it to restore the computer to any of the highlighted
    >> dated in System Restore - not even one day prior.
    >>
    >> Is there some hidden trick to using this thing or is it just another
    >> Microsoft ploy be lull us into being complacent?
    >>
    >> Thanks friends.

    > System Restore should not be used to go back more than a week or
    > perhaps 10 days at the most. Going back any further will likely
    > cause more problems than it ever solves.
    >
    > The ideal usage for System Restore is to go back to "yesterday, just
    > before I installed the latest version of suppercrappola" or similar.
    >
    > See MVP Bert Kinney's System Restore pages:
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    Thanks Ron.
    I have bookmarked the website.
    It's bedtime and I am way too sleepy to go through it now.

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Grandpa Chuck, May 29, 2006