    recover lost data from CF and/or SD - please let me know.

    --
    Olav Kindt - remove spam to email me

    Olav Kindt, Sep 19, 2004

  2. Olav Kindt

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:26:36 +0200, in rec.photo.digital Olav Kindt
    <> wrote:

    >All,
    >
    >I was wondering if it is possible to get my Canon Powershot camera to show
    >up as a hard drive when I plug it into my Win2000 box - instead of
    >automatically starting the ZoomBrowser application.
    >
    >The reason for doing this is that I am trying to recover some images from
    >my Compact Flash card since the disk drive I downloaded the images to is
    >toast, and no other backups are available. If anyone knows of other ways to
    >recover lost data from CF and/or SD - please let me know.

    Use an inexpensive card reader.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Sep 19, 2004

  3. Olav Kindt

    Ric Kaysen Guest

    My S50, Sony F82 and T1 all show up in Windows Explorer when plugged into
    USB and turned on in play mode, but my OS is XP Media Center. Don't know if
    that makes a difference

    --
    Remove NOSPAM to reply

    Ric Kaysen, Sep 19, 2004
  4. Olav Kindt

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Olav Kindt wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > I was wondering if it is possible to get my Canon Powershot camera to show
    > up as a hard drive when I plug it into my Win2000 box - instead of
    > automatically starting the ZoomBrowser application.

    You can't.

    Canon cameras don't support USB Mass storage so they can't be treated as a
    drive.

    The computer and camera exchange data via a set of commands much
    the same way FTP uses get and put etc. This commands are issued
    by Zoombrowser.. You don't see it happen.

    Canon has it's own proprietary protocol, and most new Canon cameras
    also recognize the universal Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP). PTP
    is built in to some Windows versions.

    > The reason for doing this is that I am trying to recover some images from
    > my Compact Flash card since the disk drive I downloaded the images to is
    > toast, and no other backups are available. If anyone knows of other ways to
    > recover lost data from CF and/or SD - please let me know.

    As someone else mentioned.. Pick up a $10.00 card reader. You'll be
    able to treat the card as a drive AND, you'll find the files download
    MUCH faster..

    Jim Townsend, Sep 19, 2004
  5. Olav Kindt

    Ric Kaysen Guest

    ....just plugged the USB cable from the S50 into another computer running XP
    Pro and there's the Canon drive in Windows Explorer.

    --
    Remove NOSPAM to reply

    Ric Kaysen, Sep 19, 2004
  6. Olav Kindt

    Basiltoo Guest

    "Ric Kaysen" <> wrote in

    > ...just plugged the USB cable from the S50 into another computer
    > running XP Pro and there's the Canon drive in Windows Explorer.

    Wrong. It appears as a Canon camera which is not the same as a drive.

    --
    Regards,
    Baz

    Basiltoo, Sep 19, 2004
  7. Olav Kindt

    Ric Kaysen Guest

    Well...OK, but how is that different? I can still view it's contents and
    transfer files.

    --
    Remove NOSPAM to reply

    Ric Kaysen, Sep 19, 2004
  8. Olav Kindt

    Basiltoo Guest

    "Ric Kaysen" <> wrote in news:muh3d.294
    $:

    > Well...OK, but how is that different? I can still view it's contents and
    > transfer files.

    Different protocol. You cannot transfer files to the camera for example.

    --
    Regards,
    Baz

    Basiltoo, Sep 19, 2004
  9. Olav Kindt

    Ric Kaysen Guest

    OK...really not trying to be contradictory here, but not only do the cameras
    show up as drives in Windows Explorer, but I can copy, paste, drag and drop
    files both from and to the card in the camera while connected with the USB
    cable.

    --
    Remove NOSPAM to reply

    Ric Kaysen, Sep 20, 2004
  10. Olav Kindt

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:18:29 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Ric Kaysen"
    <> wrote:

    >OK...really not trying to be contradictory here, but not only do the cameras
    >show up as drives in Windows Explorer, but I can copy, paste, drag and drop
    >files both from and to the card in the camera while connected with the USB
    >cable.

    Being a Nikon guy I have no real clue about this. However the OP was using
    W2k, could this make a difference?

    Ed Ruf, Sep 20, 2004
  11. Olav Kindt

    Ric Kaysen Guest

    That's what I was thinkin' up front.

    --
    Remove NOSPAM to reply

    Ric Kaysen, Sep 20, 2004
  12. "Ric Kaysen" <> writes:

    > OK...really not trying to be contradictory here, but not only do the cameras
    > show up as drives in Windows Explorer, but I can copy, paste, drag and drop
    > files both from and to the card in the camera while connected with the USB
    > cable.

    I believe the difference is you are using Windows XP and the original poster is
    using Windows 2000. If memory serves, Windows XP can use some PSP devices as
    file systems, but Windows 2000 did not have that support, or had a list of
    supported cameras. I recall there used to be instructions how to patch an .inf
    file to allow the Olympus C-2100UZ to work (it uses PTP and does not use USB
    mass storage).

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Sep 20, 2004
  13. Olav Kindt

    Mark B. Guest

    "Olav Kindt" <> wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > I was wondering if it is possible to get my Canon Powershot camera to
    > show
    > up as a hard drive when I plug it into my Win2000 box - instead of
    > automatically starting the ZoomBrowser application.
    >
    > The reason for doing this is that I am trying to recover some images from
    > my Compact Flash card since the disk drive I downloaded the images to is
    > toast, and no other backups are available. If anyone knows of other ways
    > recover lost data from CF and/or SD - please let me know.

    Canon cameras aren't set up that way. Get a card reader instead.

    Mark

    Mark B., Sep 20, 2004
  14. Olav Kindt

    Olav Kindt Guest

    All,

    Thanks for all your help. I ended up bying the cardreader as suggested here.

    Now all I have to do is to get the delete images - I have posted a new
    question about how to recover lost images so if you have a clue - I would
    appreciate your help.

    Regards Olav

    --
    Olav Kindt - remove spam to email me

    Olav Kindt, Sep 20, 2004
  15. On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:18:29 GMT, "Ric Kaysen"
    <> wrote:

    >OK...really not trying to be contradictory here, but not only do the cameras
    >show up as drives in Windows Explorer, but I can copy, paste, drag and drop
    >files both from and to the card in the camera while connected with the USB
    >cable.

    Ric,

    just wanted to mention that this is also what I would have
    expected from the start. When I read Jim's remark that you can't
    use the Canon camera like a USB drive and have to use special
    software, I immediately did not believe that. You confirm my
    thoughts.

    If Canon did that, a number of customers would take the camera
    back to the shop and complain.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Sep 20, 2004
  16. On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:00:27 +0200, Olav Kindt
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks for all your help. I ended up bying the cardreader as suggested here.

    Olav,

    might have been worth a thought to upgrade to Windows XP
    instead. Costs a bit more, but at least you have a more useful
    operating system.

    Too late for you, but perhaps worth a thought for others who
    find themselves in the same situation.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Sep 20, 2004
  17. Olav Kindt

    HRosita Guest

    HRosita, Sep 20, 2004
  18. Hans-Georg Michna <> writes:

    >>OK...really not trying to be contradictory here, but not only do the cameras
    >>show up as drives in Windows Explorer, but I can copy, paste, drag and drop
    >>files both from and to the card in the camera while connected with the USB
    >>cable.

    >just wanted to mention that this is also what I would have
    >expected from the start. When I read Jim's remark that you can't
    >use the Canon camera like a USB drive and have to use special
    >software, I immediately did not believe that. You confirm my
    >thoughts.

    It's operating system dependent. Newer Canon cameras have two protocols
    for talking to a host, the original Canon one and a new standard called
    PTP. If your operating system *also* supports this protocol, and
    everything is set up properly, then you (apparently) can see the camera
    mounted like a removable disk and use all the usual file browsing tools
    to access it.

    But, if you have an older Canon camera, PTP is not available. If you
    have any version of Windows other than WinXP, the operating system
    doesn't support PTP. In either case, you have to use the original Canon
    protocol on the camera, and that does *not* support viewing the camera
    as a disk device. Instead, you need to use the Canon software to access
    it, either via a TWAIN driver (in programs like Photoshop) or a special
    program. Or you removed the CF card from the camera and plugged it into
    a card reader, the best solution in any case.

    >If Canon did that, a number of customers would take the camera
    >back to the shop and complain.

    Canon cameras have been like this for years. I knew it when I bought my
    cameras, and it hasn't inconvenienced me noticeably.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Sep 21, 2004
  19. Dave,

    thanks for the info! I thought Canon cameras would follow the
    standard USB simulated disk drive protocol like most other
    cameras.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Sep 23, 2004
  20. Hans-Georg Michna <> writes:

    >thanks for the info! I thought Canon cameras would follow the
    >standard USB simulated disk drive protocol like most other
    >cameras.

    It would certainly make sense, but for whatever reason Canon didn't do
    this.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Sep 24, 2004