    going and the playing indicater going left to right but there's no
    sound. What can I do? Thanks for any help.

    JCRitchie
    John Ritchie, Aug 7, 2007

  2. John Ritchie

    sandy58 Guest

    On Aug 7, 12:47 pm, (John Ritchie) wrote:
    > For some reason, none of my midi files play. I installed a Yahoo media
    > player as the default player and regular audio files work fine but midi
    > files don't. The midi files come up and you can see the counter numbers
    > going and the playing indicater going left to right but there's no
    > sound. What can I do? Thanks for any help.
    >
    > JCRitchie

    John, try highlighting one of the "midi" files, right-click>open
    with....choose your media player from list & "apply". If it runs, OK,
    If it DON'T run your player doesn't accept/play them. What was wrong
    with your Windows Media Player?
    sandy58, Aug 7, 2007

  3. John Ritchie

    Ragnar Guest

    John Ritchie wrote:
    > For some reason, none of my midi files play. I installed a Yahoo
    > media player as the default player and regular audio files work fine
    > but midi files don't. The midi files come up and you can see the
    > counter numbers going and the playing indicater going left to right
    > but there's no sound. What can I do? Thanks for any help.
    >
    > JCRitchie

    Most media players require a plugin to play MIDI sources. You say that they
    appear OK in Yahoo Media Player so that presumably is not the problem.

    I believe that MIDI files rely on the synthesizer capability of your sound
    card. Check that your sound card is the correct type and has drivers
    installed, and that 'SW Synth' is not unchecked in Volume Control.

    HTH
    Ragnar, Aug 7, 2007
  4. John Ritchie

    Paul Guest

    John Ritchie wrote:
    > For some reason, none of my midi files play. I installed a Yahoo media
    > player as the default player and regular audio files work fine but midi
    > files don't. The midi files come up and you can see the counter numbers
    > going and the playing indicater going left to right but there's no
    > sound. What can I do? Thanks for any help.
    >
    > JCRitchie

    In the Sound Control Panel, I can see an option for MIDI Music Playback.
    Sometimes, you can have more than one option there.

    There will also be a Mixer for your sound setup. Mine sits in the tray
    at the bottom of the screen (lower right). The Mixer will have sliders in
    it, and you can check that the volume settings are greater than zero. Some Mixer
    panel sliders have a "mute" checkbox, and they should be unchecked, to get
    sound.

    In my Mixer panel, there is a slider labeled "SW Synth", and that
    controls the volume.

    If you go to the Start button, select Run from the menu, and type
    "dxdiag" without the quotes and then run it, the Microsoft DirectX
    diagnostic screen should appear. It'll take maybe 30 seconds to finish
    in "Test using this port". When you click the Test DirectMusic, what I'm
    hearing, sounds like a MIDI test file. One of the options there, sends the
    MIDI stream to an external MIDI device, which I don't have, so there is
    silence for that test case.

    Have fun,
    Paul
    Paul, Aug 7, 2007
  5. John Ritchie

    John Ritchie Guest

    To sandy58,
    The Windows Media Player looked like it was working but there was no
    sound.

    JCRitchie
    John Ritchie, Aug 8, 2007
  6. John Ritchie

    sandy58 Guest

    sandy58, Aug 8, 2007
  7. John Ritchie

    John Ritchie Guest

    I don't know. How do you tell?

    JCRitchie
    John Ritchie, Aug 8, 2007
  8. John Ritchie

    sandy58 Guest

    On Aug 8, 12:10 pm, (John Ritchie) wrote:
    > I don't know. How do you tell?
    >
    > JCRitchie

    Start>my computer>c:\>Program files>Windows Media Player>WMP .exe
    file>right-click>properties>version tab.
    sandy58, Aug 8, 2007
  9. John Ritchie

    John Ritchie Guest

    To Sandy58,