    screen where the data races past and disappears?
    How to save it?
    Maria

    Maria, Jun 18, 2005

  2. Maria

    PJB Guest

    "Maria" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Since I am too young to know DOS -- how do I freeze a DOS-screen e.g. a

    ping
    > screen where the data races past and disappears?
    > How to save it?
    > Maria

    Assuming you are using WinXP, Start > RUN type in CMD and hit Enter. A "dos"
    box will open. type in your ping command and see the results, when finished,
    either close the box as you would any normal window, or just type exit to
    close it ;-)

    Alternatively, Start > Programs > Accessories > Comamnd Prompt also opens a
    "dos" box.

    P.

    PJB, Jun 18, 2005

  3. Maria

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:50:34 +0200, Maria wrote:

    >Since I am too young to know DOS -- how do I freeze a DOS-screen e.g. a ping

    It's not DOS any more, it a command or cmd prompt :)

    It's assumed you are doing - Start / Run / ping <address>
    so you see a command/cmd prompt box flash up and disappear.

    In that case , try this instead 1st for NT/XP/2000 etc

    Start / Run / cmd / OK

    Or for I think the Win 9x/Me types.

    Start / Run / command / OK

    Or (for Windows 2000 , the other are similar)

    Start / Programs / Accessories / Command Prompt

    They all open a command prompt window , then you can do the commands you
    need.

    >screen where the data races past and disappears?

    >How to save it?

    To save the results, you redirect '>' the output to a file.

    ping 127.0.0.1 > pingresult.txt

    or

    traceroute 127.0.0.1 > traceresult.txt

    then open the file pingresult.txt and so on.

    Or take a screen shot.

    Or use Mark (i.e. copy)/paste into another application.

    If the information, e.g. a traceroute still goes off the screen try this
    instead.

    The command window (any command window) can be set to have a buffer that
    allows you to scroll back,

    With a command window open, click on the icon on the top left of the
    window title bar. Select properties , look for the screen buffer size
    option. I usually set the height to 100, this is how far I can scroll
    back.

    Me

    why?, Jun 18, 2005
  4. Maria

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Using XP it is Start>run>type cmd and press enter. To save the output right
    click>select all>ctl+c. Open note pad ctl+v.

    pcbutts1, Jun 18, 2005
  5. Maria

    philo Guest

    "Maria" <> wrote in message
    > Since I am too young to know DOS -- how do I freeze a DOS-screen e.g. a
    > ping
    > screen where the data races past and disappears?
    > How to save it?
    > Maria

    after you issue the command add |more

    such as

    C:\ dir |more

    philo, Jun 18, 2005
  6. Maria

    Guest

    On Maria <> wrote:

    |>Since I am too young to know DOS -- how do I freeze a DOS-screen e.g. a ping
    |>screen where the data races past and disappears?
    |>How to save it?

    Just to add my way.

    Adding /K after the CMD command will keep the window open for any
    command.

    WInKwy+R CMD /K Ping 216.239.39.99 <enter>

    --

    , Jun 18, 2005
  7. Maria

    Guest

    On wrote:

    |>Just to add my way.
    |>
    |>Adding /K after the CMD command will keep the window open for any
    |>command.
    |>
    |>WInKwy+R CMD /K Ping 216.239.39.99 <enter>

    Winkwy :) new keyboard, WinKey of course.

    You also wanted to save also, just to add a different way of what's
    been given.

    Right click the top of the CMD (command) window go down to edit and
    select mark (or select all), highlight what you want, right click the
    bar again > edit > copy.

    Then paste it into a text editor.

    Or give UltraEdit (only the best text editor) a try you can run DOS
    commands (F9) from it and it's saved automatically.
    http://www.ultraedit.com/

    --

    , Jun 18, 2005
  8. Maria

    Jeff Estes Guest

    To Add Pennywise's adroit use of the /k argument add a > [directory
    filename]
    example
    click Start then Run. And in the window that opens up type the following:

    cmd /k ping www.google.com > c:\whatever.txt

    Now you can go to your C drive and find a text file called whatever.txt and
    you can email it, archive, print it, whatever you want.

    Jeff Estes, Jun 19, 2005
  9. Maria

    Jeff Estes, Jun 19, 2005
  10. Maria

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:50:34 +0200, Maria <> wrote:

    >Since I am too young to know DOS -- how do I freeze a DOS-screen e.g. a ping
    >screen where the data races past and disappears?
    >How to save it?
    >Maria

    By adding a command to the ping request to save the output as a text file.

    Click Start, Programs, DOS Prompt or click Start, Run. In the Run
    box, type "CMD" without the quotes and press enter.

    At the prompt, type:

    ping 192.168.0.1 >c:\ping.txt

    That will save the ping data to a text file in the root directory of drive C

    Now double-click c:\ping.txt and you will see something similar to this:

    Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

    Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

    Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:

    Unk, Jun 19, 2005
  11. Maria

    Maria Guest

    Maria wrote:

    > Since I am too young to know DOS -- how do I freeze a DOS-screen e.g. a ping
    > screen where the data races past and disappears?
    > How to save it?
    > Maria

    Thank you all for your contributions, that was most helpful!
    Maria

    Maria, Jun 19, 2005