    I have a computer that was wiped clean before it was given to me it never
    had windows installed and it has a unix system,I want to know what I have to
    do in order to format the hardrive so I can install windows XP.

    Robert Drake, Oct 17, 2007

  2. Robert Drake

    ded Guest

    ded, Oct 17, 2007

  3. Robert Drake

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-10-17, Robert Drake <> wrote:
    > To whom it may concern,
    > I have a computer that was wiped clean before it was given to me it never
    > had windows installed and it has a unix system,I want to know what I have to
    > do in order to format the hardrive so I can install windows XP.

    Shove the first Windows XP installation disc into the appropriate drive
    and reboot, I should think; that is certainly how I've installed operating
    systems lately (but I've never installed Windows XP and have no intention
    of doing so). I'm sure Microsoft must have installation instructions for
    XP available somewhere, even if they haven't managed to get them into the
    boxed sets.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Oct 17, 2007
  4. Robert Drake wrote:

    > To whom it may concern,
    > I have a computer that was wiped clean before it was given to me it
    > never had windows installed and it has a unix system,

    "Has" a unix system? Operational? Which one? Did you mean Linux, and
    if so, which brand? This may be better to use than trying to put
    Windows on it.

    > I want to know what I have to do in order to format the hardrive so I
    > can install windows XP.

    Change the boot order to CD first, place the XP CD in it, and boot.
    Follow instructions for full install.

    Read some of these first:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=windows infected in 12 minutes

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 17, 2007
  5. Robert Drake

    chuckcar Guest

    "Robert Drake" <> wrote in

    > To whom it may concern,
    > I have a computer that was wiped clean before it was given to me it
    > never had windows installed and it has a unix system,I want to know
    > what I have to do in order to format the hardrive so I can install
    > windows XP.

    If it still has the linux partitions on it, you may have a problem - you
    need to use linux's fdisk or cfdisk to remove it. You *can* do this with
    the rawwrite boot floppy's alone, but you need either that or a bootable
    linux cd.

    Formatting the disk won't work, because extfs2/3 is not recognised by
    MS's OS. You have to remove the linux partitions at least.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 17, 2007
  6. Robert Drake wrote:
    > To whom it may concern,
    > I have a computer that was wiped clean before it was given to me it
    > never had windows installed and it has a unix system,I want to know
    > what I have to do in order to format the hardrive so I can install
    > windows XP.

    How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348/en-us

    How to install or upgrade to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316941

    Clean Install Windows XP

    GreenieLeBrun, Oct 18, 2007
  7. Robert Drake

    Tony Guest

    Oh horseshit, his bios chip in his computer still functions so just get a
    pirated or reworked and pirated copy and do a full install. I myself have
    reworked and modified many of the various operating systems in my spare
    time.

    Tony, Oct 18, 2007
  8. Robert Drake

    chuckcar Guest

    Tony <> wrote in

    > -------------------
    >
    > Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday
    > -------------------
    >
    > chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> "Robert Drake" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > To whom it may concern,
    >> > I have a computer that was wiped clean before it was given to me it
    >> > never had windows installed and it has a unix system,I want to know
    >> > what I have to do in order to format the hardrive so I can install
    >> > windows XP.
    >> >

    >> If it still has the linux partitions on it, you may have a problem -
    >> you need to use linux's fdisk or cfdisk to remove it. You *can* do
    >> this with the rawwrite boot floppy's alone, but you need either that
    >> or a bootable linux cd.
    >>
    >> Formatting the disk won't work, because extfs2/3 is not recognised by
    >> MS's OS. You have to remove the linux partitions at least.

    > Oh horseshit, his bios chip in his computer still functions so just
    > get a pirated or reworked and pirated copy and do a full install. I
    > myself have reworked and modified many of the various operating
    > systems in my spare time.

    Get a clue my own personal top-posting idiot troll. The bios has
    absolutely nothing to do with a partition. And no MS product except for
    perhaps vista is going to recognise a partition type they'd perfer
    didn't exist. You *do* know what a partition is don't you mini-brain
    kiddie?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 18, 2007
  9. Robert Drake

    John Guest

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 16:32:13 -0400, "Robert Drake"
    <> wrote:

    >To whom it may concern,
    >I have a computer that was wiped clean before it was given to me it never
    >had windows installed and it has a unix system,I want to know what I have to
    >do in order to format the hardrive so I can install windows XP.

    I think that you need to do this.

    fdisk /mbr

    John, Oct 18, 2007
  10. Robert Drake

    daniel kol Guest

    look to the web side of the computer take the downloads

    daniel kol, Oct 18, 2007
  11. Robert Drake

    kráftéé Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2007-10-17, Robert Drake <> wrote:
    >> To whom it may concern,
    >> I have a computer that was wiped clean before it was given to me
    >> it never had windows installed and it has a unix system,I want to
    >> know what I have to do in order to format the hardrive so I can
    >> install windows XP.

    > Shove the first Windows XP installation disc into the appropriate
    > drive and reboot, I should think; that is certainly how I've
    > installed operating systems lately (but I've never installed
    > Windows XP and have no intention of doing so). I'm sure Microsoft
    > must have installation instructions for XP available somewhere,
    > even if they haven't managed to get them into the boxed sets.

    It's even easier than that....

    Make sure that the pc can boot from DVD/CD & then boot up with the XP
    installation CD in & just work your way thru a normal installation.
    It'll take a bit longer due to the format but it is the easiest way to
    go...

    kráftéé, Oct 18, 2007
  12. Robert Drake

    chuckcar Guest

    John <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 16:32:13 -0400, "Robert Drake"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>To whom it may concern,
    >>I have a computer that was wiped clean before it was given to me it
    >>never had windows installed and it has a unix system,I want to know
    >>what I have to do in order to format the hardrive so I can install
    >>windows XP.
    >>

    > I think that you need to do this.
    >
    > fdisk /mbr

    Not if the linux partition is still there. You *couldn't* do it. Unless
    he used the linux on fat32 option (unlikely) the partition would be
    unreadable.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 18, 2007
  13. Robert Drake

    Tony Guest

    What??!! All he needs is a full version of XP so he can partition the hard
    drive. Vista or "the dog's breakfast" doesn't even have such a tool built
    into it.

    Tony, Oct 19, 2007
  14. Robert Drake

    nobody > Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > Oh horseshit, his bios chip in his computer still functions so just get a
    > pirated or reworked and pirated copy and do a full install. I myself have
    > reworked and modified many of the various operating systems in my spare
    > time.

    > Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday

    Pigshit to you... you haven't been able to format a hard drive from
    BIOS in at least 15 years.

    It sounds like you've never tried to remove LILO after a botched attempt
    at dual-booting Windows and Linux.

    Easiest way I've found to wipe the MBR when doing a "slash 'n burn"
    install/reinstall is a nifty and ancient DOS utility called clearhdd.
    http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities/clearhdd.htm

    Put it on a DOS bootdisk, floppy, CD, flashdrive. Insert and go.

    Clearhdd 0 takes out the MBR on Disk 0, Controller 0 (primary master or
    single)(notice the space)

    Clearhdd 1 takes out the primary slave.

    If the target drive isn't on the primary controller, temporarily
    rearrange drives as needed.

    Hit Y twice to start it, about 30 seconds later you'll have a drive
    ready to be partitioned and formatted by any OS that uses a hard drive.

    nobody >, Oct 20, 2007
  15. Robert Drake

    Plato Guest

    Robert Drake wrote:

    > I have a computer that was wiped clean before it was given to me it never
    > had windows installed and it has a unix system,I want to know what I have to
    > do in order to format the hardrive so I can install windows XP.

    You need to partition it first.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 27, 2007
  16. Robert Drake

    kráftéé Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > Robert Drake wrote:
    >>
    >> I have a computer that was wiped clean before it was given to me
    >> it never had windows installed and it has a unix system,I want to
    >> know what I have to do in order to format the hardrive so I can
    >> install windows XP.

    > You need to partition it first.

    No you don't, you just boot with the install disk in your optical
    drive & follow the prompts, it will create partitions & format the
    primary on it's way thru to installing Windows XP

    kráftéé, Oct 27, 2007
  17. Robert Drake

    Tester Guest

    <> wrote:

    >To whom it may concern,
    >I have a computer that was wiped clean before it was given to me it never
    >had windows installed and it has a unix system,I want to know what I have to
    >do in order to format the hardrive so I can install windows XP.

    Boot off the Windows installation CD (you might have to go into the
    BIOS so the CD goes first in the boot order) and you can partition and
    format while you're installing Windows.

    Tester, Oct 27, 2007
  18. Robert Drake

    Plato Guest

    kráftéé wrote:

    > >> I have a computer that was wiped clean before it was given to me
    > >> it never had windows installed and it has a unix system,I want to
    > >> know what I have to do in order to format the hardrive so I can
    > >> install windows XP.

    > > You need to partition it first.

    > No you don't, you just boot with the install disk in your optical
    > drive & follow the prompts, it will create partitions & format the
    > primary on it's way thru to installing Windows XP

    Incorrect. A drive has to be partitioned. Yes. The XP install thingamig
    will do this. But still, if the drive is "really" wiped clean, then it
    HAS no partitions

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 29, 2007
  19. Robert Drake

    Scott W Guest

    In article <47258df1$4$250$>, |@|.| says...

    > > > You need to partition it first.

    > > No you don't, you just boot with the install disk in your optical
    > > drive & follow the prompts, it will create partitions & format the
    > > primary on it's way thru to installing Windows XP

    > Incorrect. A drive has to be partitioned. Yes. The XP install thingamig
    > will do this. But still, if the drive is "really" wiped clean, then it
    > HAS no partitions

    fdisk
    format/s C:
    --
    "USA is the most pathetic country in the world!"
    -- Gordon Ramsay (aka Iron Chef)

    Scott W, Oct 29, 2007
  20. Robert Drake

    Keme Guest

    Plato skrev:
    > Robert Drake wrote:
    >> I have a computer that was wiped clean before it was given to me it never
    >> had windows installed and it has a unix system,I want to know what I have to
    >> do in order to format the hardrive so I can install windows XP.

    > You need to partition it first.

    That is:
    Boot from your XP media
    Follow the instructions onscreen

    When presented with a list of partitions (probably only one, possibly
    four or more), you see the unix system partition listed as "unknown".
    (Microsoft don't know how to deal with other than Microsoft partition
    types, it seems). If you will not use the unix system, remove the
    unknown partition to free space that's otherwise wasted. When there is
    "free space" listed, you can create a new partition from that space.

    When done partitioning, you will need to format your new partitions.
    Don't use the "quick format" option if you use space from a unix
    partition. If you may need to access the partition from linux/unix or
    legacy MS platform tools (old versions of various disk tools), use
    FAT32. In most other situations NTFS is preferrable.

    Keme, Oct 29, 2007