how do I fit a tv show on a dvdr?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Waterperson77, Aug 6, 2004.

  1. I have been trying to record a weekly tv program, but have wasted over fifteen
    dvd's that the dvd recorder made coasters out of because it keeps
    automatically stopping in the middle of the program before the program ends.

    In LP mode, which is supposed to last three hours, it stops before the two and
    a half hours of one episode ends. Before the episode ends.

    It stopped around one hour 45 minutes into the episode. on every brand of disc
    I tried.

    SP speed which is supposed to last two hours isn't long enough to fit one
    episode on.

    since it's two and a half hours long each episode. each week.

    Plus at the SP speed, the dvd recorder stops recording only fifteen minutes
    into the episode and makes coasters of the disc.

    I would probably be having other problems with it if the weekly four-hour-long
    tv show was still on here.

    I dont like the six or four hour modes because they are so blocky and look a
    lot worse than vhs.

    But that's the only way I would be able to fit each episode of a weekly four
    hour long tv show onto one dvd disc.

    I think there's still a daily four-hour-long tv program on here, but that one's
    kind of boring and not as good as the weekly four hour long tv program that
    used to be on here.

    Right now, I'm concerned about getting the weekly two and a half hour long
    program and weekly three hour long tv programs to fit on one disc per episode
    for each of them.

    Waterperson77, Aug 6, 2004

  2. "Waterperson77" <> wrote in message
    > I have been trying to record a weekly tv program, but have wasted over
    > fifteen dvd's that the dvd recorder made coasters out of because it
    > keeps automatically stopping in the middle of the program before the
    > program ends.

    Snipped: <<Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat ... ad nauseam.>>

    The program that you are trying to record is 2.35, not 1.85.

    Set your DVD recorder to 2.35. This narrower format will provide the
    extra disk space needed to complete the recording.

    One-Shot Scot, Aug 6, 2004

  3. >The program that you are trying to record is 2.35, not 1.85.

    no. the programs I'm trying to record are 4:3, not 2.35

    well, technically, each episode is either" half 4:3 and half 2.35 shown as 4:3
    "or "half 4:3 nd half 1.85 shown as 4:3" or "entirely fully 4:3"

    Waterperson77, Aug 6, 2004
  4. >The program that you are trying to record is 2.35, not 1.85.

    >Set your DVD recorder to 2.35. This narrower format will provide the
    >extra disk space needed to complete the recording.

    no, the programs I'm trying to record are sometimes entirely 4:3, sometimes
    half 4:3 and half 1.85 shown as 4:3, and sometimes half 4:3 and half 2.35 shown
    as 4:3

    why would I chop a tv show that is already 2.35 ratio chopped down to 4:3 even
    further to 2.35 again?

    The resulting picture would be entiurely unwatchable.

    by half 4:3 and half 2.35, I mean alternating, like the movies "Galaxy Quest"
    and "Brainstorm" did in the theatres.

    except these are four different tv shows that all alternate in the same episode
    between 4:3 and 2.35 shown as 4:3 some weeks, between 4:3 and 1.85 shown as 4:3
    some weeks, between 4:3 and 1.66 shown as 4:3 some weeks, and entirely 4:3
    other weeks.

    but usually alternating between 4:3 and 2.35 shown as 4:3

    choping it down to 2.35 even again would make the 2.35 portions of these tv
    shows completely and entirely unwatchable.

    and several of my tv stations (on several different tv shows on several
    different channels) used to purposely show the picture upside down.

    and no, my tv set itself was not upside down.

    Waterperson77, Aug 6, 2004
  5. I just rememberd. I also have a daily "four hour and thirty five minute long"
    tv show that used to be on here that I want to transfer to dvd as a backup
    copy.

    It was approximately four and a half hours long each day, but the time varied
    slightly each day, but was always at least four and a half hours, sometimes
    four hours and 35 minutes one day, then four hours and 40 minutes the next day,
    then four hours and 30 minutes the next day, then four hours and 45 minutes the
    next day, then four hours and 35 minutes again the next day, whatever they felt
    like.

    I would like to have the entire episode on one dvd.

    However, the only way to do this is in 6 hour mode. And unlike VHS, 6 hour
    mode on dvd lookks terrible. It's all blocky and jerky with ghhardly any
    movement at all on anything recorded in 6 hour mode on dvd, unlike the nice
    smooth motion of the tv episode when recorded in 6 hour mode on VHS.

    The SLP VHS recording looks more like the actual tv show did than the dvd
    recording does in 6 hour mode.

    But to make it look good on dvd, one single episode won't even fit onto one
    single dvd, unlike VHS where the one episode fits onto one tape and still
    looked okay.

    Waterperson77, Aug 6, 2004
  6. I like the tv shows in my area or have been in my area.

    1. two hours long each week, with an occasional two and a half hour long
    episode.

    2. two and a half hours long each week, with an occasional three hour long
    episode.

    3. also two and a half hours long each week, also with an occassional three
    hour long episode.

    4. four hours long each week.

    5. at least four and a half hours long each weekday.

    and yes, these are all entertainment shows, not news shows.

    although I have seen songs sung on our local news.

    including missing one of my favorite old songs being sung on our local news. I
    caught just the tail end of it.

    But the news anchors thanked the singers for performing the song on the tv
    newscast.

    there's more examples I could give, but I don't watch tv all day long every
    day, so I usually watch or watched the five examples that I mentioned in this
    post.

    Waterperson77, Aug 6, 2004
  7. people suggested that it was the dvd media I was using. Thanks for the help.
    However, it was not the dvd media that I was using. It happened on every brand
    of dvd disc I tried (several different brands).

    The problem is my cheaply made dvd recorder. As I later found out after buying
    it, it's very very very cheaply made Chinese junk.

    It's the brand that Richard C recommends as the best, but that one hundred
    percent of other people have had trouble with.

    Only he thinks it's a good brand.

    But then I remembered that China is upside-down and does stuff half-a****
    backwwards.

    so I decided to try something radical. I turned my dvd recorder upside down.
    and tried recording that way.

    And I came out with a perfect recording!!!!

    Just to make sure that it wasn't a fluke. I did the same thing with another
    recording.

    And once again came out with a perfect recording!!!!

    lasting as long as they're supposed to last, and none of the freeze ups that I
    had when the recorder was top side up which ended up wasting over 30 discs.

    so now I make sure that my dvd recorder is upside down when recording.

    And so far, I have come out with a perfect recording every time this way.

    And this way, it even automatically drops the disc out of the tray when you
    press "open".

    Now the only problem I have is trying to get a brand new blank disc to stay in
    the tray while the recorder is upside down. ;)

    so if you have a Cyberhome dvdrecoder and are experiencing constant freeze-ups
    during recording, I recommend turning the recorder upside down and then
    recording.

    No, this is not a joke. I am serious. It actually worked fine and even
    better this way.

    and no, I do not live in a mental institution as one of the other posters
    thought.

    Waterperson77, Aug 11, 2004
  8. Waterperson77

    Justin Guest

    Waterperson77 wrote on [11 Aug 2004 21:51:25 GMT]:
    > people suggested that it was the dvd media I was using. Thanks for the help.
    > However, it was not the dvd media that I was using. It happened on every brand
    > of dvd disc I tried (several different brands).
    >
    > The problem is my cheaply made dvd recorder. As I later found out after buying
    > it, it's very very very cheaply made Chinese junk.
    >
    > It's the brand that Richard C recommends as the best, but that one hundred
    > percent of other people have had trouble with.
    >
    > Only he thinks it's a good brand.
    >
    > But then I remembered that China is upside-down and does stuff half-a****
    > backwwards.
    >
    > so I decided to try something radical. I turned my dvd recorder upside down.
    > and tried recording that way.

    This is even more insane than your usual ranting.

    Justin, Aug 11, 2004
  9. and my dvd recorder was by itself, (away from my other devices) and still
    freezing up in the middle of recordings while it was correct side up.

    Only turning the dvd recorder upside down during every recording has solved
    this problem so far.

    Waterperson77, Aug 11, 2004
  10. >This is even more insane than your usual ranting.

    but it worked. which is the important thing. no more wasted discs that can only
    be used as coasters.

    Waterperson77, Aug 11, 2004
  11. Waterperson77

    Richard C. Guest

    :
    : The problem is my cheaply made dvd recorder. As I later found out
    after buying
    : it, it's very very very cheaply made Chinese junk.
    :
    : It's the brand that Richard C recommends as the best, but that one
    hundred
    : percent of other people have had trouble with.

    =============================
    The only DVD-R unit I may have recommended is the Panasonic DMRHS2,
    which I own.
    It is a high quality, made in Japan unit.
    Care to provide proof I recommended any other DVD-R unit?
    ==============================
    :
    : Only he thinks it's a good brand.

    ============================
    Panasonic DVD-R units are among the best.
    ==========================
    :
    : But then I remembered that China is upside-down and does stuff
    half-a****
    : backwwards.

    =======================
    China is not Japan.
    ============================
    :
    : so I decided to try something radical. I turned my dvd recorder upside
    down.
    : and tried recording that way.
    :
    : And I came out with a perfect recording!!!!

    =================================
    Your entire thinking is upside down.
    ============================
    :
[...]

    Oh......I see..........
    You think I recommended the Cyberhome as a recorder?
    The Cyberhome 300 is merely a player.
    I recommended it as a CHEAP all region player that does PAL to NTSC
    conversion.
    I bought 2 - one as a spare.
    ==========================
    :
    : No, this is not a joke. I am serious. It actually worked fine and
    even
    : better this way.
    :
    : and no, I do not live in a mental institution as one of the other
    posters
    : thought.
    :
    But you sure should..............