How do I find the firewall on my computer, to disable it and install HP printer?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brian Kendig, Jul 28, 2006.

  1. Brian Kendig

    Brian Kendig Guest

    I'm setting up an HP All-In-One Photosmart 3210 printer on a network in
    a small office. Three PCs are able to see and use the printer just
    fine. The fourth PC is not able to install it, because the installation
    can't see the printer on the network. (All four computers are running
    fully-patched Windows XP Professional SP2.)

    When I try to install the printer on this PC, I get an "Issues Stopping
    Installation" dialog which lists four issues: "Symantec Settings
    Manager: Firewall", "Symantec Network Drivers Service: Firewall",
    "Symantec Event Manager: Firewall", and "Symantec Core LC: Firewall".
    The description for all four tells me that I have firewall software on
    my computer that I need to disable before the installation will be able
    to detect the printer.

    Problem is, I don't *have* a firewall on this computer. The only
    Symantec software I have installed is Norton Antivirus 2006, and that
    doesn't come with a firewall. Norton Protection Center doesn't list a
    firewall as being available. The built-in Windows Firewall is turned
    off; even if I turn it on, there's no other firewall that complains
    about any conflict. I see no processes or services running that would
    seem to indicate any kind of a firewall.

    The printer is being assigned an IP address on the network. I can ping
    that IP address from this computer, but when I point the HP printer
    installation at that address for the printer, it can't see anything.

    How do I figure out what firewall the HP installer thinks is
    interfering with setting up the printer?

    Brian Kendig, Jul 28, 2006

  2. Brian Kendig

    Mike Easter Guest

    Brian Kendig wrote:
    > I'm setting up an HP All-In-One Photosmart 3210 printer on a network
    > in a small office.

    Does that mean that the network is ethernet to a router/switch or to a
    hub?

    Does that mean that the 3210, which has 3 connectivity ports, ethernet,
    USB, and pictBridge, is ethernetted to the router/hub? I'm assuming so
    because the printer has an IP.

    > Problem is, I don't *have* a firewall on this computer. The only
    > Symantec software I have installed is Norton Antivirus 2006, and that
    > doesn't come with a firewall.

    I'm reading that NAV 2006 comes with Norton Protection Center, which
    turns out to be a big pain for a lot of people. Search on that.

    // Title: Hot to get rid of Norton Protection Center 2006 -- Hello, with
    the "new" norton Antivirus 2006, a new bloatware get installed. It's
    norton Protection Center. Totally useless, higly annoying and
    disturbingly promotional (upselling symantec stuff) //

    > Norton Protection Center doesn't list a
    > firewall as being available.

    Don't call the Symantec NAV 2006 NPC a 'firewall' -- call it a 'HP
    printer (and other things) installation interference' and see if that
    helps.

    > The printer is being assigned an IP address on the network. I can ping
    > that IP address from this computer, but when I point the HP printer
    > installation at that address for the printer, it can't see anything.
    >
    > How do I figure out what firewall the HP installer thinks is
    > interfering with setting up the printer?

    The HP installer is right. The Symantec NPC is interfering.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 28, 2006

  3. Brian Kendig

    Brian Kendig Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Brian Kendig wrote:
    > > I'm setting up an HP All-In-One Photosmart 3210 printer on a network
    > > in a small office.

    > Does that mean that the network is ethernet to a router/switch or to a
    > hub?

    Yup - Ethernet to a switch.

    > Does that mean that the 3210, which has 3 connectivity ports, ethernet,
    > USB, and pictBridge, is ethernetted to the router/hub? I'm assuming so
    > because the printer has an IP.

    Yes again; it's connected via Ethernet.

    > I'm reading that NAV 2006 comes with Norton Protection Center, which
    > turns out to be a big pain for a lot of people. Search on that.

    Like many other Norton products, I agree that it's a pain; but can the
    Norton Protection Center really interfere with the HP installer's
    ability to see a printer on the network? I'm somewhat skeptical of this
    interaction... why would the HP installer be detecting it as a
    firewall?

    And, more importantly: how do I disable the Norton Protection Center?
    Uninstalling Norton Antivirus 2006 isn't an option; we purchased it
    online and downloaded it, and I think a month has gone by and Symantec
    won't allow another download.

    I've tried disabling the Symantec services and killing the Symantec
    processes, and even rebooting into safe mode, but none of this has
    helped; I still get an error that a firewall is in the way. How do I
    disable the Norton Protection Center without uninstalling it? Or, might
    NPC not be the actual problem? (The three other PCs in the office have
    Norton Protection Center and Antivirus 2006 installed, and can access
    the printer with no problems.)

    Brian Kendig, Jul 29, 2006
  4. Brian Kendig

    Mike Easter Guest

    Brian Kendig wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Brian Kendig wrote:
    >>> I'm setting up an HP All-In-One Photosmart 3210 printer on a network
    >>> in a small office.

    >> I'm reading that NAV 2006 comes with Norton Protection Center, which
    >> turns out to be a big pain for a lot of people.

    > but can the
    > Norton Protection Center really interfere with the HP installer's
    > ability to see a printer on the network?

    It seems so.

    > And, more importantly: how do I disable the Norton Protection Center?

    http://symantec.atgnow.com/consumer...otect is disabled on startup&resultType=5000#
    or http://snipurl.com/u28g

    To disable Auto-Protect
    Start Norton AntiVirus.
    If Norton AntiVirus is part of Norton Internet Security or Norton
    SystemWorks, then start that product.
    Click Options. If you see a menu, then click Norton AntiVirus.
    Under System, click Auto-Protect.
    Under How to stay protected, uncheck Run at System Startup.
    Click OK.
    Restart the computer.
    Go on to the next section.

    > Uninstalling Norton Antivirus 2006 isn't an option; we purchased it
    > online and downloaded it, and I think a month has gone by and Symantec
    > won't allow another download.

    Personally I don't believe that paid AV products are inherently better
    than free ones. And if I have a paid or free product which has
    'features' which I don't like, I get rid of it in favor for
    another/different one.

    If disabling the NPC doesn't allow you to install the printer on that
    box, then I would uninstall it. Whether I re-installed it or not would
    depend on whether or not I liked it. Whenever I download a file from
    someplace for installation, I save it to disk, not execute it online.

    > Or,
    > might NPC not be the actual problem? (The three other PCs in the
    > office have Norton Protection Center and Antivirus 2006 installed,
    > and can access the printer with no problems.)

    I can't answer the discrepancy problem, which might be different
    configurations or different versions of the NAV 2006. Apparently 2006
    is different from 2005. I don't use Norton's AV; I just am going by
    what I'm reading in various places -- those complaining and what is at
    Symantec.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 29, 2006
  5. Brian Kendig

    Ragz Guest

    i think it may be down to your windows rather than norton,
    start,settings,control panel,windows firewall,exceptions and browse and pick
    up your printer software

    Ragz, Jul 31, 2006
  6. Brian Kendig

    Brian Kendig Guest

    Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations!

    Turns out the problem was due to two services:

    - Windows Defender Service
    - Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

    Stopping both of these services allowed the HP installer to find,
    install, and continue to see the printer, even with Norton Antivirus
    2006 still installed and active.

    I'm not sure why these two services would have interfered - especially
    since the Windows Firewall is turned off, so its service shouldn't have
    been doing anything.

    Brian Kendig, Aug 4, 2006