    not know. This version of Outlook does not have an option to auto detect
    settings.

    Is there a way I can find out this information?
    me, May 4, 2007

  2. me

    Gordon Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message
    news:_ZJ_h.408$...
    > Windows 2000
    > MS Outlook 2000 SP-3
    >
    > I thought this should be straightforward but its not.
    >
    > I wish to setup my work computer (Outlook) with another email account.
    > Trouble is, I don't know the incoming and outcoming mail server settings,
    > nor do I know if outgoing server needs authentication.
    >
    > I was able to set up this email account on my Blackberry without any
    > trouble
    > (it only asked for email address and password). Unfortunately the
    > detailed
    > mail server settings are not displayed on the set up page for Blackberry
    > Internet Mail.
    >
    > In trying to set up Outlook it is asking for all the particulars that I do
    > not know. This version of Outlook does not have an option to auto detect
    > settings.
    >
    > Is there a way I can find out this information?

    <sigh> yes - from the web site of whoever provides this email account....
    Gordon, May 4, 2007

  3. me

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 4 May 2007 12:23:06 -0500, "me" <> wrote:

    >Windows 2000
    >MS Outlook 2000 SP-3
    >
    >I thought this should be straightforward but its not.
    >
    >I wish to setup my work computer (Outlook) with another email account.
    >Trouble is, I don't know the incoming and outcoming mail server settings,
    >nor do I know if outgoing server needs authentication.
    >
    >I was able to set up this email account on my Blackberry without any trouble
    >(it only asked for email address and password). Unfortunately the detailed
    >mail server settings are not displayed on the set up page for Blackberry
    >Internet Mail.
    >
    >In trying to set up Outlook it is asking for all the particulars that I do
    >not know. This version of Outlook does not have an option to auto detect
    >settings.
    >
    >Is there a way I can find out this information?

    I'm not familiar with how a blackberry guesses the mail settings, but
    probably uses the domain name, and tries like pop.whatever.com,
    smtp.whatever.com, incoming.whatever.com, outgoing.whatever.com, etc.

    Perhaps if you tell us what the domain name is, someone here will
    know.
    Evan Platt, May 4, 2007
  4. me

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-05-04, me <> wrote:
    > Windows 2000
    > MS Outlook 2000 SP-3
    >
    > I thought this should be straightforward but its not.
    >
    > I wish to setup my work computer (Outlook) with another email account.
    > Trouble is, I don't know the incoming and outcoming mail server settings,
    > nor do I know if outgoing server needs authentication.
    >
    > I was able to set up this email account on my Blackberry without any trouble
    > (it only asked for email address and password). Unfortunately the detailed
    > mail server settings are not displayed on the set up page for Blackberry
    > Internet Mail.
    >
    > In trying to set up Outlook it is asking for all the particulars that I do
    > not know. This version of Outlook does not have an option to auto detect
    > settings.
    >
    > Is there a way I can find out this information?

    Such information should be easy to find on the web-site of the email
    service provider concerned, possibly under 'Help' or 'FAQ'. Whether your
    employer is happy to have you use his computer and internet connection
    this way, and whether your employer's network is set up to make it
    possible, are entirely different matters.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, May 4, 2007
  5. me

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message
    > Windows 2000
    > MS Outlook 2000 SP-3
    >
    > I thought this should be straightforward but its not.
    >
    > I wish to setup my work computer (Outlook) with another email account.
    > Trouble is, I don't know the incoming and outcoming mail server settings,
    > nor do I know if outgoing server needs authentication.

    Well, if you're talking MS Outlook and not MS Outlook Express, then most
    likely this is a closed network/LAN with a MS Exchange Server setting there
    controlling inbound and outbound emails.

    I doubt that you're going to be able to setup another email account away
    from an email account that's not part of that MS Exchange Server on the
    company's LAN.
    Mr. Arnold, May 4, 2007
  6. me

    Blackberry Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message
    > Windows 2000
    > MS Outlook 2000 SP-3
    >
    > I thought this should be straightforward but its not.
    >
    > I wish to setup my work computer (Outlook) with another email account.
    > Trouble is, I don't know the incoming and outcoming mail server settings,
    > nor do I know if outgoing server needs authentication.
    >
    > I was able to set up this email account on my Blackberry without any
    > trouble
    > (it only asked for email address and password). Unfortunately the
    > detailed
    > mail server settings are not displayed on the set up page for Blackberry
    > Internet Mail.
    >
    > In trying to set up Outlook it is asking for all the particulars that I do
    > not know. This version of Outlook does not have an option to auto detect
    > settings.
    >
    > Is there a way I can find out this information?

    The Blackberry is a hand held/cell device with which you can configure
    to receive (POP3 = Post Office Protocol) emails from accounts with
    several providers. Blackberry do not provide email accounts as such.
    It is pre configured to know what settings to apply depending on the
    on-board list, ie: AOL, Hotmail, yahoo, earthlink etc etc.
    So as an example, you may have an email account with AOL,
    you entered your AOL (or whoever) acount email address and the
    Blackberry is preconfigured to identify and apply the appropriate
    POP3 settings.
    So... What email account is it you wish to configure Outlook express?
    Blackberry, May 4, 2007
  7. me

    Blackberry Guest

    Re: Post Script

    "Blackberry" <> wrote in message

    > "me" <> wrote in message
    >> Windows 2000
    >> MS Outlook 2000 SP-3
    >>
    >> I thought this should be straightforward but its not.
    >>
    >> I wish to setup my work computer (Outlook) with another email account.
    >> Trouble is, I don't know the incoming and outcoming mail server settings,
    >> nor do I know if outgoing server needs authentication.
    >>
    >> I was able to set up this email account on my Blackberry without any
    >> trouble
    >> (it only asked for email address and password). Unfortunately the
    >> detailed
    >> mail server settings are not displayed on the set up page for Blackberry
    >> Internet Mail.
    >>
    >> In trying to set up Outlook it is asking for all the particulars that I
    >> do
    >> not know. This version of Outlook does not have an option to auto detect
    >> settings.
    >>
    >> Is there a way I can find out this information?
    >>

    > The Blackberry is a hand held/cell device with which you can configure
    > to receive (POP3 = Post Office Protocol) emails from accounts with
    > several providers. Blackberry do not provide email accounts as such.
    > It is pre configured to know what settings to apply depending on the
    > on-board list, ie: AOL, Hotmail, yahoo, earthlink etc etc.
    > So as an example, you may have an email account with AOL,
    > you entered your AOL (or whoever) acount email address and the
    > Blackberry is preconfigured to identify and apply the appropriate
    > POP3 settings.
    > So... What email account is it you wish to configure Outlook express?

    Another point to note. If you manage to tell us what email account it
    is you wish to also configure into Outlook(?), so for this example lets say
    it is an earthlink account - we will direct you to their page with the smtp
    and POP3 settings, but if you then want both your handheld Blackberry
    and Outlook ( Or more probably OE, as you are posting from that)
    You will have to select "Leave copy of email on server"....
    I suspect this is all going to be just too complicated for you?
    Blackberry, May 4, 2007
  8. me

    me Guest

    Re: Post Script

    The domain/website is for a philanthropic group. It is not affiliated with
    Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail, etc that I am aware of. If I knew where the mail
    account was being hosted I am sure that would help.

    Yes, I wish to set up on Outlook so that I can test settings but normally OE
    is used to read the mail.

    Somehow I fear the incoming/outgoing mail settings were corrupted and I am
    trying to figure out how to retrieve this information with the
    knowledge/tools I possess.

    I was very surprised that this was easily setup in Blackberry Internet Mail
    simply by inputting the email address and password.

    I sent myself a test message from my Blackberry to my main email account and
    printed out the full header hoping that my give me a clue but nothing jumps
    right out at me.
    me, May 4, 2007
  9. Re: Post Script

    me wrote:
    > The domain/website is for a philanthropic group. It is not affiliated with
    > Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail, etc that I am aware of. If I knew where the mail
    > account was being hosted I am sure that would help.
    >
    > Yes, I wish to set up on Outlook so that I can test settings but normally OE
    > is used to read the mail.
    >
    > Somehow I fear the incoming/outgoing mail settings were corrupted and I am
    > trying to figure out how to retrieve this information with the
    > knowledge/tools I possess.
    >
    > I was very surprised that this was easily setup in Blackberry Internet Mail
    > simply by inputting the email address and password.
    >
    > I sent myself a test message from my Blackberry to my main email account and
    > printed out the full header hoping that my give me a clue but nothing jumps
    > right out at me.

    Could you possibly reveal what the email address is? Just the part after
    the @ symbol.

    A whois on your IP only said you were running through some Commonwealth
    Edison in Chicago computers.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 4, 2007
  10. me

    Gordon Guest

    Re: Post Script

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > me wrote:
    >> The domain/website is for a philanthropic group. It is not affiliated
    >> with
    >> Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail, etc that I am aware of. If I knew where the mail
    >> account was being hosted I am sure that would help.

    Well the organisation must be PAYING someone to host it.....unless they are
    running their own mail server, in which case the IT bod should have all the
    info....
    Gordon, May 4, 2007
  11. me

    > "Blackberry" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "me" <> wrote in message
    >>> Windows 2000
    >>> MS Outlook 2000 SP-3
    >>>
    >>> I thought this should be straightforward but its not.
    >>>
    >>> I wish to setup my work computer (Outlook) with another email account.
    >>> Trouble is, I don't know the incoming and outcoming mail server
    >>> settings,
    >>> nor do I know if outgoing server needs authentication.
    >>>
    >>> I was able to set up this email account on my Blackberry without any
    >>> trouble
    >>> (it only asked for email address and password). Unfortunately the
    >>> detailed
    >>> mail server settings are not displayed on the set up page for Blackberry
    >>> Internet Mail.
    >>>
    >>> In trying to set up Outlook it is asking for all the particulars that I
    >>> do
    >>> not know. This version of Outlook does not have an option to auto
    >>> detect
    >>> settings.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way I can find out this information?
    >>>

    >> The Blackberry is a hand held/cell device with which you can configure
    >> to receive (POP3 = Post Office Protocol) emails from accounts with
    >> several providers. Blackberry do not provide email accounts as such.
    >> It is pre configured to know what settings to apply depending on the
    >> on-board list, ie: AOL, Hotmail, yahoo, earthlink etc etc.
    >> So as an example, you may have an email account with AOL,
    >> you entered your AOL (or whoever) acount email address and the
    >> Blackberry is preconfigured to identify and apply the appropriate
    >> POP3 settings.
    >> So... What email account is it you wish to configure Outlook express?
    >>

    > Another point to note. If you manage to tell us what email account it
    > is you wish to also configure into Outlook(?), so for this example lets
    > say
    > it is an earthlink account - we will direct you to their page with the
    > smtp
    > and POP3 settings, but if you then want both your handheld Blackberry
    > and Outlook ( Or more probably OE, as you are posting from that)
    > You will have to select "Leave copy of email on server"....
    > I suspect this is all going to be just too complicated for you?

    OK, this is last attempt.
    If the email account is configured on your Blackberry held held device,
    then it is indeed a POP3 account, and it is an account that is *pre-encoded*
    to be recognised by your Blackberry, that means it had "on-board" the
    required configurations settings, so all you were required to do was
    enter the email address and password and the Blackberry did the rest.
    Now, all you have to do, is post to this group the email provider, and we
    will guide you to what settings to configure into your PC's email client.
    Now this is just an example to guide you, type the email address, but:
    <exclude_this_first_section>@type_here_the_provider.com (or .net etc)
    Blackberry, May 4, 2007
  12. me

    Vanguard Guest

    "me" wrote in message news:_ZJ_h.408$...

    > I wish to setup my work computer (Outlook) with another email account.
    > Trouble is, I don't know the incoming and outcoming mail server
    > settings,
    > nor do I know if outgoing server needs authentication.

    <snip>

    > Is there a way I can find out this information?

    Consider how overly lazy is this user to bother looking at the e-mail
    provider's help pages, calling them, or e-mailing them, it's probably a
    good thing he can't get it working.
    Vanguard, May 5, 2007
  13. me

    John Holmes Guest

    Vanguard "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "me" wrote in message news:_ZJ_h.408$...
    >>
    >> I wish to setup my work computer (Outlook) with another email account.
    >> Trouble is, I don't know the incoming and outcoming mail server
    >> settings,
    >> nor do I know if outgoing server needs authentication.
    >>

    > <snip>
    >>
    >> Is there a way I can find out this information?

    > Consider how overly lazy is this user to bother looking at the e-mail
    > provider's help pages, calling them, or e-mailing them, it's probably a
    > good thing he can't get it working.

    LOL, I agree with this poast!

    --
    Your mother was an impudent tart who was so stupid she had to be kept in
    disused windmills.
    John Holmes, May 5, 2007