    Is there a web site that has a what mother boards will fit into certain
    cases. I have an IBM 2140 L5H and would like to upgrade the silly thing.

    Marc
    Marc, Apr 22, 2005

  2. Marc

    Old Gringo Guest

    Marc wrote:
    > Is there a web site that has a what mother boards will fit into certain
    > cases. I have an IBM 2140 L5H and would like to upgrade the silly thing.
    >
    > Marc

    Might try one of these??
    http://motherboard.quickdirectory.org/

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life
    Old Gringo, Apr 22, 2005

  3. Marc wrote:
    > Is there a web site that has a what mother boards will fit into certain
    > cases. I have an IBM 2140 L5H and would like to upgrade the silly thing.

    Rather than do a search for that model, let me ask, why would a $50-75
    case make the difference in a major upgrade? If you're redoing the
    motherboard and probably the CPU and RAM too, go the few extra bucks for
    a new case/power supply.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 22, 2005
  4. Marc

    Plato Guest

    Marc wrote:

    > Is there a web site that has a what mother boards will fit into certain
    > cases. I have an IBM 2140 L5H and would like to upgrade the silly thing.

    No website as far as I know. You really need a feel and experience with
    working with pcs to know if a standard motherboard will fit into a
    proprietary case.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 22, 2005
  5. Plato wrote:

    > Marc wrote:

    >> Is there a web site that has a what mother boards will fit into certain
    >> cases. I have an IBM 2140 L5H and would like to upgrade the silly thing.

    > No website as far as I know. You really need a feel and experience with
    > working with pcs to know if a standard motherboard will fit into a
    > proprietary case.

    ATX should pretty much be ATX, if that's what the old one is.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 22, 2005
  6. Marc

    Marc Guest

    I would rather not spend the money if I don't have to. There are a lot of
    other things that I would rather spend the money on. And I've already
    thought about that!

    Marc

    Marc, Apr 22, 2005
  7. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > ATX should pretty much be ATX, if that's what the old one is.

    There's the rub, he said the magic words "IBM". Earlier this week I had
    a guy buy a motherboard from me and I explained to him about removing
    the old insert for the connectors and putting in the new. He's back
    later the same day complaining that his Dell doesn't have a removeable
    insert, and the connectors aren't even close to lining up. I think he
    ended up taking a hacksaw to the case.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 22, 2005
  8. Marc wrote:
    > I would rather not spend the money if I don't have to. There are a lot of
    > other things that I would rather spend the money on. And I've already
    > thought about that!

    I didn't see specific information about what motherboard might fit in
    your case, but I did see newsgroup discussions about that model number
    starting in 1998. You should reconsider about buying a new case/power
    supply.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 22, 2005
  9. Marc

    PC Guest

    "Marc" <mcneer(N_O-S_P_A_M)@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a web site that has a what mother boards will fit into certain
    > cases. I have an IBM 2140 L5H and would like to upgrade the silly thing.
    >
    > Marc

    Marc

    Firstly
    I would be 'very' cautious about 'asuming' your case will take another
    motherboard.
    IBM (along with HP, Compaq and Dell and others) are renown for building
    proprietry PC's that cannot take other brand/model components, motherboards
    in particular. Realistically you will have to line the new motherboard up
    inside the old case before you know if it will fit correctly. Most tech
    types will tell you it's very unlikely it will fit without case mods. (see
    the Dell story above)

    Secondly
    Do be aware that upgrading your motherboard may also require changing most
    of the other components eg Ram, CPU, Power Supply (IBM/HP/Compaq one's are
    usually only just powerfull enough for the old motherboard, adding a
    gruntier motherboard usually means it dies very quickly after the upgrade if
    it copes at all)
    Also don't forget to add the cost of a new copy of your OS (Windows?) as the
    old copy is more than likely tied to the Bios in your old motherboard. This
    means when you go to reinstall the Restore disk says 'not an IBM PC' and
    quits.

    Paul.
    PC, Apr 22, 2005

    As I said "pretty much". :)

    > a guy buy a motherboard from me and I explained to him about removing
    > the old insert for the connectors and putting in the new. He's back
    > later the same day complaining that his Dell doesn't have a removeable
    > insert, and the connectors aren't even close to lining up. I think he
    > ended up taking a hacksaw to the case.

    Ow.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 22, 2005
  11. Marc

    > Is there a web site that has a what mother boards will fit into certain
    > cases. I have an IBM 2140 L5H and would like to upgrade the silly thing.
    >
    > Marc

    (2nd post, first didn't appear)

    Marc

    Firstly
    I would be 'very' cautious about 'asuming' your case will take another
    motherboard.
    IBM (along with HP, Compaq, Dell and others) are renown for building
    proprietry PC's that cannot take other brand/model components, motherboards
    in particular. Realistically you will have to line the new motherboard up
    inside the old case before you know if it will fit correctly. Most tech
    types will tell you it's very unlikely it will fit without case mods. (see
    the Dell story above)

    Secondly
    Do be aware that upgrading your motherboard may also require changing most
    of the other components eg Ram, CPU, Power Supply (IBM/HP/Compaq one's are
    usually only just powerfull enough for the old motherboard, adding a
    gruntier motherboard usually means it dies very quickly after the upgrade if
    it copes at all) Proprietry power supplies frequently have oddball
    connections as well.

    PC, Apr 23, 2005