    though, it's not as nice as an option in the menu at the top 'cos i
    have a lot in that 'right click'/context menu

    , May 12, 2006

  2. Miller Guest

    ** wrote on 12.05.06 05:18:
    > how do i edit source (like in IE, view..source)?
    >
    > I tried the mozex extension, but can't see the options to tell it to
    > open notepad. And besides, it involves a right click. i'd liek to know
    > how to do it in mozex.
    >
    > though, it's not as nice as an option in the menu at the top 'cos i
    > have a lot in that 'right click'/context menu

    ViewSourceWith http://dafizilla.sourceforge.net/viewsourcewith/
    lets you choose one or more favorite programs to view and edit
    the source. At least in FireFox and Thunderbird it gives you a
    toolbarbutton an an entry in the rightclick-menu for that.

    HTH, Miller

    Miller, May 12, 2006

  3. Guest

    Miller wrote:
    > ** wrote on 12.05.06 05:18:
    > > how do i edit source (like in IE, view..source)?
    > >
    > > I tried the mozex extension, but can't see the options to tell it to
    > > open notepad. And besides, it involves a right click. i'd liek to know
    > > how to do it in mozex.
    > >
    > > though, it's not as nice as an option in the menu at the top 'cos i
    > > have a lot in that 'right click'/context menu

    > ViewSourceWith http://dafizilla.sourceforge.net/viewsourcewith/
    > lets you choose one or more favorite programs to view and edit
    > the source. At least in FireFox and Thunderbird it gives you a
    > toolbarbutton an an entry in the rightclick-menu for that.
    >
    > HTH, Miller

    thanks, that's nice., it uses view..page source too.

    it's good enough. a flaw is that it doesn't automatically open the
    file, a box comes up and you gotta tell it to overwrite.
    I got viewsourcewith linked into Textpad. (splash screen off in
    textpad). works nicely.

    Another flaw is that when/if linked to Notepad it doesn't seem to get
    the CRLFs right when e.g. viewing google's index page. Whilst when IE
    launches notepad , notepad gets the CRLFs right.

    , May 12, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > Miller wrote:
    >> ** wrote on 12.05.06 05:18:
    >>> how do i edit source (like in IE, view..source)?
    >>>
    >>> I tried the mozex extension, but can't see the options to tell it to
    >>> open notepad. And besides, it involves a right click. i'd liek to know
    >>> how to do it in mozex.
    >>>
    >>> though, it's not as nice as an option in the menu at the top 'cos i
    >>> have a lot in that 'right click'/context menu

    >> ViewSourceWith http://dafizilla.sourceforge.net/viewsourcewith/
    >> lets you choose one or more favorite programs to view and edit
    >> the source. At least in FireFox and Thunderbird it gives you a
    >> toolbarbutton an an entry in the rightclick-menu for that.
    >>
    >> HTH, Miller

    > thanks, that's nice., it uses view..page source too.
    >
    > it's good enough. a flaw is that it doesn't automatically open the
    > file, a box comes up and you gotta tell it to overwrite.
    > I got viewsourcewith linked into Textpad. (splash screen off in
    > textpad). works nicely.
    >
    > Another flaw is that when/if linked to Notepad it doesn't seem to get
    > the CRLFs right when e.g. viewing google's index page. Whilst when IE
    > launches notepad , notepad gets the CRLFs right.

    I wouldn't describe keeping the original single-character line ending
    off a *X system as a flaw exactly. Either IE or notepad assumes that's
    what you want, but I can think of circumstances where it'd be a bloody
    nuisance.

    Have you tried using something like Context as a notepad replacement?
    It's a nice editor and gives you the choice about things like line-endings.

    You can then use the Web Developer Toolbar's 'View Source With' option
    to add Context as a viewer, assigning a keyboard shortcut as you go.
    Works fine here on XP.

    cheers,

    David H

    David Harrison, May 12, 2006
  5. Guest

    David Harrison wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Miller wrote:

    > >> ViewSourceWith http://dafizilla.sourceforge.net/viewsourcewith/
    > >> lets you choose one or more favorite programs to view and edit
    > >> the source. At least in FireFox and Thunderbird it gives you a
    > >> toolbarbutton an an entry in the rightclick-menu for that.
    > >>
    > >> HTH, Miller

    > > thanks, that's nice., it uses view..page source too.
    > >
    > > it's good enough. a flaw is that it doesn't automatically open the
    > > file, a box comes up and you gotta tell it to overwrite.
    > > I got viewsourcewith linked into Textpad. (splash screen off in
    > > textpad). works nicely.
    > >
    > > Another flaw is that when/if linked to Notepad it doesn't seem to get
    > > the CRLFs right when e.g. viewing google's index page. Whilst when IE
    > > launches notepad , notepad gets the CRLFs right.

    > I wouldn't describe keeping the original single-character line ending
    > off a *X system as a flaw exactly. Either IE or notepad assumes that's
    > what you want, but I can think of circumstances where it'd be a bloody
    > nuisance.
    >
    > Have you tried using something like Context as a notepad replacement?
    > It's a nice editor and gives you the choice about things like line-endings.
    >
    > You can then use the Web Developer Toolbar's 'View Source With' option
    > to add Context as a viewer, assigning a keyboard shortcut as you go.
    > Works fine here on XP.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > David H

    thanks, that's a nice extension, had a misc...edit html which let me
    edit neatly on the side with an easy update, and it has a view..soource
    option that launches a selected app.
    The viewpagesource extension worked too,

    I usually use textpad, it's v good. I just tried ConTEXT, I noticed
    it's got an output screen, I don't really agree with that. It's trying
    to be a development IDE but can't be. e.g. a real one is usually
    specific for a language, so as to allow debugging with breakpoints,
    listing all objects , functions,methods,parameters
    As a text editor it's too hefty. As a dev IDE it's too weak.

    I only ever had line ending probs with notepad. I never even had the
    prob with wordpad. If I did have a *nix ascii file, I'm sure textpad
    could deal with it finely.

    , May 14, 2006