    the original colors?

    --
    Pat
    self, Nov 28, 2007

  2. self

    ZenDiver Guest

    self wrote:
    > How do I duplicate an underwater photo of a color wheel?
    >

    > I want to try to correct underwater photos that I took to reflect the
    > fact that some colors do not show correctly at depth. I took a color
    > wheel to a depth of 50 feet and photographed it using natural light. [ I
    > did not use a flash.] I then took the resulting photo of the color wheel
    > and tried to use Photoshop to alter the color so that it would match the
    > original.
    > I can't seem to get the photo of the red sector to look even remotely
    > like the red original. I do not know much about Photoshop, is my
    > approach wrong or did I overestimate the ability of Photoshop to restore
    > the original colors?

    The problem is that there is an uneven loss of the colour spectrum with
    the red end fading first and so on until everything is in shades of
    blue. What you need to do is rebuild the red channel in the photo, this
    can be a long and complex process. Here is a link to a tutorial from
    the Digital Diver Network (http://www.digitaldiver.net)
    http://www.digitaldiver.net/lib_docs/color_cast.pdf

    Depending on which camera you are using there may be other ways for you
    to improve the colour rendition of your photos. If you can set the
    white-balance manually or are able to shoot RAW then you are in luck,
    otherwise filters are your best bet with ambient light.

    jon
    ZenDiver, Nov 28, 2007

  3. "self" <> wrote in message
    > How do I duplicate an underwater photo of a color wheel?
    >

    > I want to try to correct underwater photos that I took to reflect the
    > fact that some colors do not show correctly at depth. I took a color
    > wheel to a depth of 50 feet and photographed it using natural light. [ I
    > did not use a flash.] I then took the resulting photo of the color wheel
    > and tried to use Photoshop to alter the color so that it would match the
    > original.
    > I can't seem to get the photo of the red sector to look even remotely
    > like the red original. I do not know much about Photoshop, is my
    > approach wrong or did I overestimate the ability of Photoshop to restore
    > the original colors?
    >
    > --
    > Pat

    This is not unlike the colour casts you see in old photos, caused by
    chemical reactions to light in the different layers of the emusion.
    Some success can be achieved by using the levels command, (ctrl +l)
    adjusting each individual channel in turn, not the master.
    With the command active and a channel selected, hold down the alt key whilst
    dragging the right hand triangle (highlight)to the left.When you hold down
    the alt key, the channel window will take on the colour of the selected
    channel and when you drag the triangle to the left, you will see a break
    through (area of black appear) when the highlights come into range in that
    channel. You can also do the same for the shadows (left hand triangle, drag
    to the right.).
    Whe you have corrected all three channels, check your result in
    Image>Adjustments>Variations (highly underated for colour correction) and
    tweak accordingly.

    TWK
    Toobi-Won Kenobi, Nov 28, 2007
  4. On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 01:34:57 +0000, ZenDiver <> wrote:

    >self wrote:
    >> How do I duplicate an underwater photo of a color wheel?
    >>

    >> I want to try to correct underwater photos that I took to reflect the
    >> fact that some colors do not show correctly at depth. I took a color
    >> wheel to a depth of 50 feet and photographed it using natural light. [ I
    >> did not use a flash.] I then took the resulting photo of the color wheel
    >> and tried to use Photoshop to alter the color so that it would match the
    >> original.
    >> I can't seem to get the photo of the red sector to look even remotely
    >> like the red original. I do not know much about Photoshop, is my
    >> approach wrong or did I overestimate the ability of Photoshop to restore
    >> the original colors?
    >>

    >The problem is that there is an uneven loss of the colour spectrum with
    >the red end fading first and so on until everything is in shades of
    >blue. What you need to do is rebuild the red channel in the photo, this
    >can be a long and complex process. Here is a link to a tutorial from
    >the Digital Diver Network (http://www.digitaldiver.net)
    >http://www.digitaldiver.net/lib_docs/color_cast.pdf
    >
    >Depending on which camera you are using there may be other ways for you
    >to improve the colour rendition of your photos. If you can set the
    >white-balance manually or are able to shoot RAW then you are in luck,
    >otherwise filters are your best bet with ambient light.
    >
    >jon

    Interesting. I hadn't considered that the lost reds could be added back in, not
    having done much underwater photography in the past and nothing more than max
    snorkeling depths (25-30 ft.). The deeper you go the less time to frame a shot!
    But then with all the color channels available for tweaking I see how it could
    be done. Not perfectly but at least salvageable. Not too different than how to
    make moonlit photos look like more like they were originally taken in moonlight.
    When properly exposed they look little different than taken in daytime, totally
    losing the effect you had intended to capture. My fix, desatureate reds, reduce
    brightness, increase contrast.

    While you can't perfectly recreate what was lost to the water, the spectrum
    section missing or greatly subdued, I see now that you can at least emulate it
    somewhat. Now I know how to make those shallow depth reef photos look like I was
    down at 200' while snorkeling. Reverse the process. :)
    Martin Kramer, Nov 28, 2007
  5. self

    ZenDiver Guest

    Martin Kramer wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 01:34:57 +0000, ZenDiver <> wrote:
    >
    >> self wrote:
    >>> How do I duplicate an underwater photo of a color wheel?
    >>>

    >>> I want to try to correct underwater photos that I took to reflect the
    >>> fact that some colors do not show correctly at depth. I took a color
    >>> wheel to a depth of 50 feet and photographed it using natural light. [ I
    >>> did not use a flash.] I then took the resulting photo of the color wheel
    >>> and tried to use Photoshop to alter the color so that it would match the
    >>> original.
    >>> I can't seem to get the photo of the red sector to look even remotely
    >>> like the red original. I do not know much about Photoshop, is my
    >>> approach wrong or did I overestimate the ability of Photoshop to restore
    >>> the original colors?
    >>>

    >> The problem is that there is an uneven loss of the colour spectrum with
    >> the red end fading first and so on until everything is in shades of
    >> blue. What you need to do is rebuild the red channel in the photo, this
    >> can be a long and complex process. Here is a link to a tutorial from
    >> the Digital Diver Network (http://www.digitaldiver.net)
    >> http://www.digitaldiver.net/lib_docs/color_cast.pdf
    >>
    >> Depending on which camera you are using there may be other ways for you
    >> to improve the colour rendition of your photos. If you can set the
    >> white-balance manually or are able to shoot RAW then you are in luck,
    >> otherwise filters are your best bet with ambient light.
    >>
    >> jon

    > Interesting. I hadn't considered that the lost reds could be added back in, not
    > having done much underwater photography in the past and nothing more than max
    > snorkeling depths (25-30 ft.). The deeper you go the less time to frame a shot!
    > But then with all the color channels available for tweaking I see how it could
    > be done. Not perfectly but at least salvageable. Not too different than how to
    > make moonlit photos look like more like they were originally taken in moonlight.
    > When properly exposed they look little different than taken in daytime, totally
    > losing the effect you had intended to capture. My fix, desatureate reds, reduce
    > brightness, increase contrast.
    >
    > While you can't perfectly recreate what was lost to the water, the spectrum
    > section missing or greatly subdued, I see now that you can at least emulate it
    > somewhat. Now I know how to make those shallow depth reef photos look like I was
    > down at 200' while snorkeling. Reverse the process. :)

    Another possibility to try is known as the "Mandrake" technique, not
    sure why. Here is a link that describes it pretty well
    http://kayakdiver.com/divephotos/adjustments.htm

    jon
    ZenDiver, Nov 29, 2007
  6. self

    Sheldon Guest

    "self" <> wrote in message
    > How do I duplicate an underwater photo of a color wheel?
    >

    > I want to try to correct underwater photos that I took to reflect the
    > fact that some colors do not show correctly at depth. I took a color
    > wheel to a depth of 50 feet and photographed it using natural light. [ I
    > did not use a flash.] I then took the resulting photo of the color wheel
    > and tried to use Photoshop to alter the color so that it would match the
    > original.
    > I can't seem to get the photo of the red sector to look even remotely
    > like the red original. I do not know much about Photoshop, is my
    > approach wrong or did I overestimate the ability of Photoshop to restore
    > the original colors?
    >
    > --
    > Pat

    As you go down you will lose colors in order of the spectrum (red, orange,
    yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet). I asked someone once if I should
    get yellow fins so they will be easier to see, and was told that the only
    place you will see them is if you are in trouble and waving them over your
    head on the surface. As you can see by the spectrum, yellow is one of the
    first colors to go, and will just turn gray to the diver's eye.

    The only way I know of to correct colors underwater is to use lights or a
    flash. If you know what the colors are you can always fill them in using a
    program like Photoshop, but it won't look as natural as with a flash or
    lights.

    Good luck.

    Sheldon
    Sheldon, Nov 30, 2007