    to the idea of dual booting but i do now i need to partition the disk?

    Any help would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks. Richard

    =?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZA==?=, Jul 31, 2005

  2. You will need software like Partition Magic to create the partitions to
    install both XP x86 and XP Pro x64. You must install older version of
    Windows first which would XP Home in your case then install XP Pro x64 on
    the other partition. I also recommend you create the partition in XP Home
    first.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Jul 31, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZA==?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:51:27 -0700, "Andre Da Costa"
    <> wrote:

    >You must install older version of
    >Windows first which would XP Home in your case then install XP Pro x64 on
    >the other partition. I also recommend you create the partition in XP Home
    >first.

    You can install the other way around, but that's a hassle (as many
    here already found out).

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jul 31, 2005
  4. "Andre Da Costa" <> wrote in:

    > You will need software like Partition Magic to create the partitions to
    > install both XP x86 and XP Pro x64.

    Not really, since he's already installed X64 and, as you say:

    > You must install older version of Windows first which would XP Home in
    > your case then install XP Pro x64 on the other partition. I also
    > recommend you create the partition in XP Home first.

    Which means he'll probably have to format and start over, installing XP Home
    first so.... he can partition the drive during the install of XP Home and
    won't need PM.

    A good backup of his current installation might be a very good idea before
    starting.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>

    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 31, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Easiest way is to install another drive. At this point that is cheaper than
    buying software to partition, though others. If you are going to reinstall
    as suggested by Andre, you don't need any partitioning software as you can
    just delete your current partition and set up a, say half drive, partition
    when you install XP Home and then use the unpartitioned space to install x64
    later. Since you bought yours preinstalled, that probably isn't practical.
    I would buy another drive and follow the instructions posted elsewhere about
    handling your ntldr and ntdetect.com files and fixing your boot.ini after
    reboot from your Home install.

    John Barnes, Jul 31, 2005
  6. Definitely back up, unless its useless data. :)

    Andre Da Costa, Jul 31, 2005
  7. Oh, I forgot that one, yes, add another is always a winner.

    Andre Da Costa, Jul 31, 2005
  8. There are still issues creating the boot options screen if you install the
    older os second.

    Colin Barnhors, Jul 31, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Fine points, but depending on how he obtained XP Home could be a problem
    OEM, stays with the machine installed on unless purchased separately. If it
    came with the computer, he may have one of those restore disks with XP Home
    already installed, along with the drivers, etc. x64 presents the same
    scenario. Install disk, probably partitions the drive the same as the
    original install if I remember right.

    John Barnes, Jul 31, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Not sure what they might be. Can either edit the boot.ini from the System
    Properties panel, advanced, on the system that comes up or use the Recovery
    Console to either create a new current set-up or add the other system that
    isn't there.

    John Barnes, Jul 31, 2005
  11. I hate when OEM's do that, OS should be separate from drivers and firmware
    stuff. Let it be like a disk case, where the user installs OS separately
    then after the OS is finished installing and user is logged in, a window
    pops up on the desktop asking the user to please insert the Gateway, HP, or
    whatever disk to continue install factory stuff or choose at a later time to
    install them.

    Andre Da Costa, Jul 31, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZA==?=

    Mike Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Hi, i have been recommended in my current situation to dual boot. I already
    > have xp pro 64bit and i am looking to put xp home on as well. I am very new
    > to the idea of dual booting but i do now i need to partition the disk?
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appriciated.
    > Thanks. Richard

    If you have a copy of Partition magic, create a spare partition after
    the first one. Then boot from the install disk and install into the
    spare partition. Windows will modify the boot.ini files for you and add
    both to the selection. Thats how it worked for me.

    Mike

    Mike, Aug 2, 2005