    recognized? Other options?

    Thanks
    Ken K

    Ken, Sep 12, 2008

  2. Ken

    Jane C Guest

    Re: How do I do an install if I need SATA drivers and I have no floppy drive?

    "Ken" <> wrote in message
    >I don't want to have to purchase a floppy drive just for install of SATA
    >drivers. Can I use a memory stick for the install? Will it be recognized?
    >Other options?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ken K

    Which operating system are you planning to install?

    XP x64 will only load drivers via a floppy drive, as will XP 32 bit, and
    Server 2003. Vista and Server 2008 can use either a floppy, USB or CD to
    load drivers.
    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP - Windows Desktop Experience

    Jane C, Sep 12, 2008

  3. Re: How do I do an install if I need SATA drivers and I have no floppy drive?

    If this is XP x64 or Windows Server 2003, you have no choice. You MUST use a
    floppy drive if your drivers aren't native (and they likely aren't).

    The going price for a floppy drive is ~$10 USD. Just buy one. You can also
    buy a USB floppy drive, they work in virtually all cases, and are easier to
    move around from machine to machine. But are more expensive. Last I looked
    around $50 USD. In either case, when you've finished installing the drivers
    and loading Windows XP, take the floppy with the drivers, and tape it to the
    machine. Then take the floppy drive and cables, and stick in a ZipLock bag
    and put on a shelf where you have other computer stuff. Next time you need
    it, it will be clean and ready to go.

    In Windows Vista/Server 2k8, you _can_ use a floppy, but you can also use a
    USB stick. Or CD/DVD.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 12, 2008
  4. Re: How do I do an install if I need SATA drivers and I have no floppy drive?

    burn it to cd
    jk

    Juergen Kluth, Sep 16, 2008
  5. Fine for Vista, but it will not work with XP, any version.

    Bobby Johnson, Sep 16, 2008
  6. Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 16, 2008