    how do I disable the other and stop both coming up in my system tray.

    Sorry if question is simplistic but I am not very technical.

    Thanks
    Monty, Aug 23, 2003

  2. Monty

    °Mike° Guest

    McAfee SUCKS! Read your help file on how to disable the resident
    scanner.

    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

    Vet (Computer Associates)
    http://www.vet.com.au/html/products/index.html

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/software/antivirus/

    KAV
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    F-Prot
    http://www.f-prot.com/download/

    NOD32
    http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 21:05:13 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bi8ku8$ftt$>
    Monty scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 23, 2003

  3. Monty

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Monty continued:

    > I have two running (AVG) and McAfee. Which one should I keep
    > resident and how do I disable the other and stop both coming up in my
    > system tray.
    >
    > Sorry if question is simplistic but I am not very technical.
    >
    > Thanks

    Don't start a new thread.
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Aug 23, 2003
  4. Monty

    Boomer Guest

    Ionizer said:

    > "Monty" <> wrote in message
    >> I have two running (AVG) and McAfee. Which one should I keep
    >> resident and how do I disable the other and stop both coming up
    >> in my system tray.
    >>
    >> Sorry if question is simplistic but I am not very technical.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > So you've made your decision then, have you?
    >
    > I'd recommend keeping McAfee as your main AV- they update their
    > antivirus signature files every week, while AVG is more like once
    > a month.

    Not quite correct.

    My last 3 were on the 14th, 18th and 19th of this month.

    Boomer, Aug 23, 2003
  5. Monty

    Ionizer Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > McAfee SUCKS! Read your help file on how to disable the resident
    > scanner.
    >
    > eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)
    > http://www.my-etrust.com/products/Antivirus.cfm
    >
    > Vet (Computer Associates)
    > http://www.vet.com.au/html/products/index.html
    >
    > Sophos
    > http://www.sophos.com/products/software/antivirus/
    >
    > KAV
    > http://www.kaspersky.com/
    >
    > F-Prot
    > http://www.f-prot.com/download/
    >
    > NOD32
    > http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm

    Hi, Mike:

    I just ditched McAfee in favour of Norton, but I find it difficult to agree
    with your "analysis" of the McAfee product. According to the reviews I've
    read over the last few years, Norton and McAfee are generally fighting for
    top honours- with Norton generally emerging as number one. AVG never makes
    it on to any of these lists in the first place, which is all well and good
    because it's freeware and so what-the-heck, you get what you pay for, etc.
    But the fact that McAfee (and all the commercial AV programs, I think)
    update their definition files more frequently than does AVG surely must make
    McAfee the preferred choice in Monty's decision.

    And just for fun, because this doesn't really bolster my argument, have a
    look at these stunning Google Fight results: http://tinyurl.com/kz0p

    Regards,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Aug 23, 2003
  6. Monty

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:42:08 -0400, in
    <bi8n3i$6ok87$-berlin.de>
    Ionizer scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> McAfee SUCKS!

    <snip>

    >Hi, Mike:
    >
    >I just ditched McAfee in favour of Norton, but I find it difficult to agree
    >with your "analysis" of the McAfee product. According to the reviews I've
    >read over the last few years, Norton and McAfee are generally fighting for
    >top honours- with Norton generally emerging as number one. AVG never makes
    >it on to any of these lists in the first place, which is all well and good
    >because it's freeware and so what-the-heck, you get what you pay for, etc.
    >But the fact that McAfee (and all the commercial AV programs, I think)
    >update their definition files more frequently than does AVG surely must make
    >McAfee the preferred choice in Monty's decision.

    The reviews you've read over the years, are flawed and probably
    biased in many cases. I have used McAfee in the past, and I can
    attest that, compared to many other products, it sucks; not to
    mention that (like Norton) it is bloatware.

    The Virus Bulletin awards tell a different story.
    Twelve (12) passes, sixteen (16) failures.
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?nai.xml

    >And just for fun, because this doesn't really bolster my argument, have a
    >look at these stunning Google Fight results: http://tinyurl.com/kz0p

    That's because of all the people complaining about McAfee. :)

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 23, 2003
  7. Monty

    Ionizer Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:42:08 -0400, in
    > <bi8n3i$6ok87$-berlin.de>
    > Ionizer scrawled:
    >

    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >> McAfee SUCKS!

    > <snip>

    > The reviews you've read over the years, are flawed and probably
    > biased in many cases. I have used McAfee in the past, and I can
    > attest that, compared to many other products, it sucks; not to
    > mention that (like Norton) it is bloatware.
    >
    > The Virus Bulletin awards tell a different story.
    > Twelve (12) passes, sixteen (16) failures.
    > http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?nai.xml
    >
    > >And just for fun, because this doesn't really bolster my argument, have a
    > >look at these stunning Google Fight results: http://tinyurl.com/kz0p

    > That's because of all the people complaining about McAfee. :)
    >
    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Hi, Mike:

    Thanks for the link- I've just put it into my favourites. The "Virus
    Bulletin" isn't particularly praising McAfee at all, are they? I was
    (somewhat) reassured by their evaluation of my Norton antivirus decision: 21
    passes/16 fails, but even those results aren't spectacular by any means. I
    suppose that's ultimately where common sense enters into the equation: the
    usual advice about not mindlessly opening email attachments, double-clicking
    on exe files at will, etc.

    That said, and going back to the original poster's decision, the AVG
    antivirus fares even worse than McAfee on your Virus Bulletin site- only 2
    passes, but 19 fails:
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avg.xml

    Regards,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Aug 23, 2003
  8. Monty

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:29:20 -0400, in
    <bi8ps2$6pll3$-berlin.de>
    Ionizer scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> The Virus Bulletin awards tell a different story.
    >> Twelve (12) passes, sixteen (16) failures.
    >> http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?nai.xml

    <snip>

    >Hi, Mike:
    >
    >Thanks for the link- I've just put it into my favourites. The "Virus
    >Bulletin" isn't particularly praising McAfee at all, are they?

    They don't praise anybody. They tell it as it is.

    >I was (somewhat) reassured by their evaluation of my Norton
    >antivirus decision: 21 passes/16 fails, but even those results aren't
    >spectacular by any means. I suppose that's ultimately where common
    >sense enters into the equation: the usual advice about not mindlessly
    >opening email attachments, double-clicking on exe files at will, etc.

    One has to remember that NO antivirus solution will detect ALL viruses.
    That's why more than one AV program should be installed.

    >That said, and going back to the original poster's decision, the AVG
    >antivirus fares even worse than McAfee on your Virus Bulletin site- only 2
    >passes, but 19 fails:
    >http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avg.xml

    You'll get no arguments from me, there. I've always said that AVG
    is average, at best. The only reason that I ever recommend it, is
    because of the price.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 23, 2003