How do I crop/trim a widescreen mpg into a 4:3 mpg ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by English Patient, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. I have recorded a TV program using my AVerMdeia Hybird TV Card,
    from digital TV

    The program was broadcast in widescreen, and the resultant mpg file is
    thus also widescreen

    My monitor is (normal) 4:3,

    and the TV prog didn't really use the widescreen

    ie. I'm not getting anything important on the LHS and RHS of the screen

    Is their any video editing package you know of which will let me trim the
    LH and RH sides of a widescreen mpg so turning it into a 4:3 mpg file.

    When I watch the original mpg on my monitor I get black bars at the top
    of the screen,
    I want to trim the sides, which will in effect remove these black bars.

    Any ideas.

    EP.

    ps. I'm also googling, but maybe someone knows the answer already.
    English Patient, Nov 22, 2005

  2. English Patient

    Bill P Guest

    "English Patient" <> wrote in message
    >I have recorded a TV program using my AVerMdeia Hybird TV Card,
    > from digital TV
    >
    > The program was broadcast in widescreen, and the resultant mpg file is
    > thus also widescreen
    >
    > My monitor is (normal) 4:3,
    >
    > and the TV prog didn't really use the widescreen
    >
    > ie. I'm not getting anything important on the LHS and RHS of the screen
    >
    > Is their any video editing package you know of which will let me trim the
    > LH and RH sides of a widescreen mpg so turning it into a 4:3 mpg file.
    >
    > When I watch the original mpg on my monitor I get black bars at the top
    > of the screen,
    > I want to trim the sides, which will in effect remove these black bars.
    >
    > Any ideas.
    >
    > EP.
    >
    > ps. I'm also googling, but maybe someone knows the answer already.

    Can't you just change the aspect ratio in the program you are using to view
    the recording ?
    Regards
    Bill
    Bill P, Nov 22, 2005

  3. "Bill P" <> wrote in message

    > "English Patient" <> wrote in message
    >>I have recorded a TV program using my AVerMdeia Hybird TV Card,
    >> from digital TV
    >>
    >> The program was broadcast in widescreen, and the resultant mpg file is
    >> thus also widescreen
    >>
    >> My monitor is (normal) 4:3,
    >>
    >> and the TV prog didn't really use the widescreen
    >>
    >> ie. I'm not getting anything important on the LHS and RHS of the screen
    >>
    >> Is their any video editing package you know of which will let me trim the
    >> LH and RH sides of a widescreen mpg so turning it into a 4:3 mpg file.
    >>
    >> When I watch the original mpg on my monitor I get black bars at the top
    >> of the screen,
    >> I want to trim the sides, which will in effect remove these black bars.
    >>
    >> Any ideas.
    >>
    >> EP.
    >>
    >> ps. I'm also googling, but maybe someone knows the answer already.
    >>

    > Can't you just change the aspect ratio in the program you are using to
    > view the recording ?
    > Regards
    > Bill

    Nope :(
    English Patient, Nov 22, 2005
  4. English Patient

    fred-bloggs Guest

    "English Patient" <> wrote in

    > I have recorded a TV program using my AVerMdeia Hybird TV Card,
    > from digital TV
    >
    > The program was broadcast in widescreen, and the resultant mpg file is
    > thus also widescreen
    >
    > My monitor is (normal) 4:3,
    > and the TV prog didn't really use the widescreen
    > ie. I'm not getting anything important on the LHS and RHS of the
    > screen
    >
    > Is their any video editing package you know of which will let me trim
    > the LH and RH sides of a widescreen mpg so turning it into a 4:3 mpg
    > file.
    >
    > When I watch the original mpg on my monitor I get black bars at the
    > top of the screen,
    > I want to trim the sides, which will in effect remove these black
    > bars.

    VLC is a video player which has a crop video filter which will do what
    you require on playback, you need to enter the dimensions you require.
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc

    --
    fred
    fred-bloggs, Nov 22, 2005
  5. English Patient

    John Inzer Guest

    English Patient wrote:
    > I have recorded a TV program using my AVerMdeia Hybird TV
    > Card,
    > from digital TV
    >
    > The program was broadcast in widescreen, and the
    > resultant mpg file is thus also widescreen
    >
    > My monitor is (normal) 4:3,
    >
    > and the TV prog didn't really use the widescreen
    >
    > ie. I'm not getting anything important on the LHS and RHS
    > of the screen
    >
    > Is their any video editing package you know of which will
    > let me trim the LH and RH sides of a widescreen mpg so
    > turning it into a 4:3 mpg file.
    >
    > When I watch the original mpg on my monitor I get black
    > bars at the top of the screen,
    > I want to trim the sides, which will in effect remove
    > these black bars.
    >
    > Any ideas.
    >
    > EP.
    >
    > ps. I'm also googling, but maybe someone knows the answer
    > already.

    ====================================
    Maybe the following links
    will be useful: